Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: E90
Windows Tinting

Hi all,

I am just thinking of doing some windows tinting my self.

According to my research, I am only allowed to legally tint the rear windows.

I just thought that I should get a public opinion on what % tint I should get on rear windows.

Personally I am liking the 20% tint but what do you guys think ? What about the tinting film ? I am thinking of using Suntex or Solar Gard. Any Opinions ?

I will post some pics up in a week after I have finished the tinting.

The car currently looks like this

and here is the tint chart

Thanks all !
Ads by Google
Old 07-14-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 335i M Sport LMB
20% probably since you've got a light colored interior and it won't looks as dark. 35% doesn't look dark enough IMO.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
Windows Tinting

You are a brave soul doing the tinting yourself. It would cost about $100 to have the windows done professionally (in Oregon). 20% looks good. I have 18% - still have good visibility at night but really helps cut down the heat from the sun. Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Check the legal limit in your state and go up to it if you wish - dont' go over.

And - be careful with the installation, read the directions and do a test area before you tackle the rear window. Too many DIY jobs end up looking like crap.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownevil View Post
I just thought that I should get a public opinion on what % tint I should get on rear windows.

Personally I am liking the 20% tint but what do you guys think ?
Thanks all !
If you like 20%, then get it? I very much dislike 20%, but who cares what I think! If you can get your hands on some samples somehow, put them all on the same window, take pics, judge the samples in dark and in the light. You will then know with absolute certainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SJetblack View Post
I have 18% - still have good visibility at night but really helps cut down the heat from the sun. Good luck!
With respect, visible light transmission has very little to do with IR transmission. For instance, the nano-ceramic I use is only 78% (extremely light with a blue tint), and yet it matches the heat/solar energy reduction of the 15% premium film tint from the same brand. And FWIW, mine is actually a tad better with UV at 99.9%. IMO, the only reason to go very dark is simply because you either like the looks or for the privacy, and that's it.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Hello there, Dr. Evil. I would go with the 35%, and here is why. I just had my windows tinted, and the 20% is quite a bit thicker than the 35%. This difference really comes to play if you plan on tinting the rear window, as the thicker tint is much harder to lay over the defroster grid. I am super happy with my tint job with respect to every window except the back, the back window I am so/so on. I went with the Solar-guard tint, and am very happy with the heat reflective aspect, so I would recommend the Solar-guard (bit admit I know nothing about your other choice) There is quite a bit of difference between the ceramic and non-ceramic products (my other vehicle has non-ceramic tint...go with ceramic if heat reflection is a factor for you.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 135i Convertible, black
I just got mine tinted at 20% and it looks real nice. However, I am not sure about the quality of the job. I looked on yelp and chose a place that got an almost 5-star rating with over 100 reviews. However, most windows have these small dots around the edges and I noticed that the film doesn't adhere well in that area (see picture). The installer said that it might take a week for everything to sit correctly. I had my install done 3 days ago. Does anyone have this too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2027.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	389950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	389951  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Windows Tinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtobi View Post
I just got mine tinted at 20% and it looks real nice. However, I am not sure about the quality of the job. I looked on yelp and chose a place that got an almost 5-star rating with over 100 reviews. However, most windows have these small dots around the edges and I noticed that the film doesn't adhere well in that area (see picture). The installer said that it might take a week for everything to sit correctly. I had my install done 3 days ago. Does anyone have this too?
I have it too. I think it's par for the course.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1375728243.487735.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	389963

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 BMW 335is Coupe | Cobb stage 2 sport | aFe Stage 2 Intake | AR downpipes | ETS 5" intercooler