Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Charcoal Delete

I have a 2010 328I

I took out the air box today, very easy to do, quite careful handling the sensor and wires!

Cut the charcoal filter out with a x-acto blade, careful to clean any little bits of paper out!

Replaced everything!

Took it around the block and down the street, proud to say no errors, no strange sounds or shaking!

I will say I thought the throttle control was a little more responsive, maybe this is just hoping or a placebo!

Active Autowerks is coming out with a dry high performance air filter next month, going to put one in, stay tuned!
Ads by Google
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER2010 View Post
I have a 2010 328I

I took out the air box today, very easy to do, quite careful handling the sensor and wires!

Cut the charcoal filter out with a x-acto blade, careful to clean any little bits of paper out!

Replaced everything!

Took it around the block and down the street, proud to say no errors, no strange sounds or shaking!

I will say I thought the throttle control was a little more responsive, maybe this is just hoping or a placebo!

Active Autowerks is coming out with a dry high performance air filter next month, going to put one in, stay tuned!
Sorry to hear that BMW has specified an air filter which chokes their engines and hurts performance. Leave it to the internet to find a solution. I'm sure the fix is in the engine's long term best interests.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Is this sarcasm!

If you do the research, you will see only the units sold in the USA have this charcoal filter, it's to meet the California emissions standards!

The euro, box does not have the charcoal filter!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
M3 U.S. pre-2010 also has the charcoal built into the filter itself, performance isn't really affected, even at WOT.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
If you do the research, you will see only the units sold in the USA have this charcoal filter, it's to meet the California emissions standards!

The euro, box does not have the charcoal filter!

I understand that the charcoal filter is used to absorb hydrocarbons (unburned gasoline) which are in the intake system when the engine is turned off. When the engine is started the process is reversed and the charcoal releases the hydrocarbons into the incoming air stream. It's an effective way to 'soak up' residue which otherwise would escape into the air.
What I take great issue with is you saying you got a noticeable increase in performance after removing this filter. If that's the case you must have had one severely dirty filter which should have been changed anyway. Show me ONE independent, scientifically controlled dyno test which shows an increase in either mileage or HP after removal of a good charcoal filter and I'll send $50 to the charity of your choice.
Anyone coming out with a charcoal delete will have to say on the filter "For offroad use only!" unless it is certified to CARB standards.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I understand that the charcoal filter is used to absorb hydrocarbons (unburned gasoline) which are in the intake system when the engine is turned off. When the engine is started the process is reversed and the charcoal releases the hydrocarbons into the incoming air stream. It's an effective way to 'soak up' residue which otherwise would escape into the air.
What I take great issue with is you saying you got a noticeable increase in performance after removing this filter. If that's the case you must have had one severely dirty filter which should have been changed anyway. Show me ONE independent, scientifically controlled dyno test which shows an increase in either mileage or HP after removal of a good charcoal filter and I'll send $50 to the charity of your choice.
Anyone coming out with a charcoal delete will have to say on the filter "For offroad use only!" unless it is certified to CARB standards.
Charcoal filter in the E9x airbox is NOT replaceable.

You would need to change the whole airbox.

I cut mine out about 50k miles ago and have no issues. I cut that out, removed the air silencer between the airbox and intake manifold, and swapped in an oiled aFe drop in filter. Thottle response is slightly better and removing the air silencer and charcoal filter gives the sound more of a growl, but I can't say there was any increase in power.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 08-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
I'm tempted to do the removal, but I'm still up in the air about it. How is this filter supposed to be cleaned?, or being that its part of the airbox, you just need to purchase a new box? I can't see this getting very dirty anyhow, being it is after your regular air filter.

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 08-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
I'm tempted to do the removal, but I'm still up in the air about it. How is this filter supposed to be cleaned?, or being that its part of the airbox, you just need to purchase a new box? I can't see this getting very dirty anyhow, being it is after your regular air filter.
It's lifetime and part of the airbox, it doesn't need to be cleaned.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 PM

I appreciate your donation, though I only said the throttle seemed more responsive and it could be my hopes a placebo if you will!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I appreciate your donation, though I only said the throttle seemed more responsive and it could be my hopes a placebo if you will!
OK, I've been thinking about this a little more. We've learned a lot in the past few years about valve coking on the 335i engines. There's a lot going on in these modern 'sealed' engines as a result of very stringent emissions standard. They're a far cry from back in the 60's when all there was was a road draft tube venting the crankcase, and the 70's when a PCV valve was added to burn blow-by, to the 80's EGR and EVAP systems. Now nothing is allowed to escape at either end of the exhaust system.
This means that any engine, turbo charged and DI'd or not, has equipment in place to prevent pollutants from escaping. The 328's and other's NA engines have to do something with the unburned gas in the intake (and from cylinders with their intake valves open). The N54 cokes it out on the intake valves. I don't see why other engines wouldn't, over time, condense the vapors on the charcoal filter which is going to partially obstruct it and reduce flow. So at some point this 'guck' could get to be troublesome and cause driveability problems.
Who thought a decade ago we'd be walnut shell blasting our N54 intake valves on a regular basis? I can see you guys having to remove and solvent clean your charcoal filters, too. I take all my sarcasm back. That said, I still don't overlook the placebo effect.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM

My AFE performance dry filter arrived! I put it in first thing, very high quality product, you can tell these are very well made, just by the weight!

My first thought, when starting the car there is a noticeable deeper grumble, this could just be my high expectations, but i do want to believe it.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i 4 Dr Sedan
Hi

Newbie here but not my first BMW - mine is a CPO 2009 328i 6MT that I purchased 4 weeks ago. It still has a year left on the bumper to bumper warranty, but that doesn't include trim items apparently, because my emblem flew off the hood and onto a Dallas freeway, and the SA said, "sorry, nope." So new emblem ordered from Tischer.

After reading on the forums and viewing on youtube, I ordered an AFE oiled filter. I had an oiled K&N on a 2001 Audi TT APR Tuned and Exhaust - that was the little engine that could ... and had no issues with the K&N over 50k mi with it.

I carefully took out the air box, cleaned it thoroughly, and dropped in the AFE. Re-installing seemed easier since I had cleaned off the dirt and grime with All Purpose and 303 Protectant. You do have to be sure to place your hand under the hose leading to the MAF to make certain you've got a tight seal.

I did not do the charcoal delete but I saw where it's a relatively easy mod. It does look restrictive, but gosh, I don't want the dealer to blame me for doing anything more than an AFE Filter.

I also cleaned out the cabin filter and tidied up the engine. It's fun to do something besides the golf habit...

Thanks, guys.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesmond View Post
It still has a year left on the bumper to bumper warranty, but that doesn't include trim items apparently, because my emblem flew off the hood and onto a Dallas freeway, and the SA said, "sorry, nope."
Are you still under the original warranty or is it CPO? Either way, seems like a silly reason to piss off a customer...over a roundel.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i 4 Dr Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Are you still under the original warranty or is it CPO? Either way, seems like a silly reason to piss off a customer...over a roundel.

The original warranty according to BMW - the original owner loaded up on a 6 yr bumper-to-bumper ... and then I have the CPO, too.

Yes, I thought it was weird. Right after the sale, I wrote the dealer a decent review - they were very professional, and three days into owning it, I noticed the clock running slow, did a search here, found out it was the battery, mentioned it to the salesman who told his manager about my reviews -- they gave me a battery. I guess a $30 Roundel is too much more to ask... lol.

Maybe I should have done the charcoal delete .. lol.

I'm more into an AA Tune and a UUC Short Shifter Kit this December. I don't think the exhaust does much in terms of performance, but it does wonders to the ears. I went through that time period with the APR Exhaust... now I'm 50 something and I just want short throws and useful power. I did order a UUC Shift Knob and Hand Brake ... we'll see if Rob at UUC comes through ...

Oh, I have a BavSound Stage 1 coming next week... I'm turning into a DIY.

Last edited by MDesmond; 01-11-2014 at 05:50 PM.