Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Angry Don't Have A Collision

I hate to be a bit of a party pooper for anyone considering purchasing a GT and I offer this tale to current GT'ers. This is what has happened to me and the attached picture tells part of the story. I was hit by a lady lawyer on 23 May and, as you can see , my GT was not driveable. The details are not important but I suffered no injuries at all and the air bags in either her car or mine did not even go off. My damage was assessed by the Insurance Company at around $12,500 (CDN) and 24 days of labor. The main damage is the right rear door and rear quarter panel and four broken rear suspension parts, all of which have to be replaced.

As I submit this post, it is now about 8 weeks after the accident and absolutely nothing has been done to the car. Attempts by the BMW Collision Centre (in Ottawa, Ontario where I live and owned by the dealer from whom I bought the vehicle) to source the required parts in both Canada and the US were unsuccessful forcing a back order for them to be placed with BMW in Germany. Acknowledgement of that order has been received but, despite several attempts through BMW Canada and directly to BMW in Germany, no due date for delivery is available and I have learned that such dates are never given. The parts will just arrive at the Collision Centre `out of the blue`` and the 24-day clock will start.

I have asked if this type of situation is common and they said it is for `rare models` of which, we can all agree, the GT is one. There aren`t really that many on the road (relative to the 3 series for example) and they have previously repaired another GT that took a long time to complete because of parts issues. Still, the chassis has not changed since 2010 such that the parts for my repair should be readily available from Germany. " It isn`t rocket science” as the GT is based on a 7-Series short wheel base chassis and I am disappointed with a situation that leaves the Collision Centre and me hanging like we are. I heard a rumour that spare parts are only manufactured three times a year which if true means I may have a long wait. It is a strange way for a premium brand to operate in such cases given it does so many things so well.

Needless to say I am frustrated but I did ask for, and received, a loaner car (a 2013 Subaru Legacy with 1775 kilometers (1100 miles) on the odometer). Thus I do not have to stick the insurance company with car rental charges that top out at $1500 under my policy and which I would easily reach (even renting a compact car for the three days a week I really need my own transportation) before my GT is ever repaired.

I truly hope that none of you fellow GT’ers ever have a collision and have to endure the kind of unceratin wait that I currently am.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT Damage.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	388419  
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
That is insane and totally unacceptable.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Oh wow.

Agreed on the rarity, but as you stated its mostly unchanged from 2010-2013. Very odd that they can't source any parts quickly.

No frame damage at all?
I'm assuming 12.5K is for:
Rear rocker/quarter panel
Real bumper
Suspension/brakes
Wheels?

Regardless, the important thing is that you're ok. It's just a hunk of metal when it comes down to it.
Also glad you were able to get a loaner. No vehicle for an undetermined amount of time would screw me up.
'13 Ford Edge Sport

Last edited by Oakley5GT; 07-26-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Ouch. Out of curiosity, any estimation of speed of impact...seems like the suspension parts took a lot of the impact force? Glad to hear no injuries, that is the most important. Keep posting as you learn more about this situation, especially this parting process. Hopefully, as you state, no other GT owners have to deal with this.

By the way do you have the dynamic handling package or dynamic damper control or integral active steering?

Last edited by daders; 07-26-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Addition to last question
Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 AM

I am not sure if you can visualize this, but she was trying to cross an intersection (no traffic lights) and had eased out into the curb lane where the traffic had 'parted' to avoid blocking the intersection as it was all stopped by a red light over a 100 yards away. She was stopped in that lane and looking to the right to see if there was any oncoming traffic (there was absolutely none) and relied on the driver at the head of the parted line to her left who, she said afterwards, was 'waving me on'. He did not see me coming from the left in the centre lane and she did not check either. I was already halfway past her doing about 25 miles per hour when she shot out a distance of no more than about 6 feet (if that) and hit my right rear door. Had she looked left (even peripherally) or waited another second she would have just missed me. She wasn't going that fast when she 'shot out' and I essentially 'caromed off her nose'. I spun around and she stopped immediately facing the same direction. She was able to drive her car (with damaged hood, broken headlights etc) out of the way as we awaited the police etc.

I will keep posting updates, especially about the parts situation, and anything else that is germane about the repair.

I have Dynamic Damper Control.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
I have been keeping this to myself being that it is a bit of a buzz kill. My wife and 2 year old daughter were traveling on the highway at an above 80 mph highway speed with one large suit case, one small, and two tote bags. I am providing a mental picture of the load because I always keep in mind that out 550i GT will only allow 1,014lbs of load. I feel stongly that I was not overloaded. We traveled over a swooping dip in the highway. As we leveled off I heard a swoosh to from behind.. Within a few sort seconds we started bouncing instead of gliding down the road.

We are not under factory warranty. We discovered that the passenger side rear air spring/air strut was blown. This component looks like an air bag similar to the one on a heavy truck. It does not look like a traditional spring or shock. It looks more like a marshmellow. It is not the easiest part to acquire on any level in my experience.

We ordered our part May 28th. There were no air springs for 550i GT's available in the US or Europe. 1,200 air springs came available around July 15th in Germany. We hope that our part will be received in the next few days.

Parts availability has great deal of influence in regards to production of new cars. I can only speculate, but if the air spring I was looking for just became available then it is very possible that BMW is just now getting all the components pulled together for production of the GT.

Manufacturers of all types have parts supply issues. I just hope that I do not experience an occurrence of this duration again. I always tell my friends and family that it is "the joy of ownership". I also mention that IMO I will always get the extended warranty so that I have someone on the hook for these types of complications. We have an extra vehicle. A truck that we use for towing and such that we are glad we kept. We just really miss driving our GT at this point.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM
There is no spoon

Those situations always concern me fish. It's surprising so much damage at such a slow impact, but I guess head on are most common. From your photo it appears the wheel has an extreme camber, did the impact affect the rear interior at all?

Rogue, we had a 99 528iT (wagon) and it also had air suspension in the rear. Not sure how similar the two systems are but the parts situation is disconcerting... Lol, we just sent our signed documents for our CPO 550 GT yesterday after committing to buy on Monday.

I doubt these statements wold have really changed our decision but thanks for sharing the information.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 AM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
So daders, did you get an extended warranty with your purchase?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertible
This is exactly what's been worrying me about buying this car. I love the extra space of the hatchback and the larger sunroof, but I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it. I have an order in for a GT, but it's not too late to switch to a regular 5 series. Has anyone else run into similar problems?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Rogue2258

Fish. I could assume that you know this but it should be discussed in regards to insurance payment for damages. I am not sure if you lease or own. Your insurance company or her's in this case is also responsible for the depreciation of you GT now that it has been hit. That type of damage is considered to be major. Your GT will appraise for considerably less considering the damage. When you turn in or trade you GT you truly stand too loose $8-$15k in my estimation. Your dealer may tell you less, but the GT already struggles at trade in and you can bet the people who know what the GT is will deduct it harshly for the damage. Press hard for the loss in value. Your insurance company should assist you, but keep in mind the GT's unique market position, and understand that the insurance company does not understand the market for high end BMW's. I grew up in the automotive industry, and I had a situation similar with our SUV. Best of luck, and so sorry for your troubles.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Rogue2258

Adders. Congratulations on your purchase.

Pierredc. We have a 2 & 10 year old and we could not make it without the rear.

We still absolutely love our GT and do not regret the purchase.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM
There is no spoon

@gt=

Did not because the vehicle only has 15750 miles thusfar, is under original warranty until October 2014 and then the CPO warranty for another 2. Very excited as we purchased primarily for our road trip to CO in mid-August, just a little worried about receiving it in time to get windows tinted (a requisite by the better half ;-)).

Thanks rogue!

Can not wait until we receive it, I will post photos and details once we have it in our possession. I'd be curious if the previous owner will recognize it if a member here!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Don"t Have A Collision

Daders, I own my GT outright. Rhe wheel, brake and tire were intact but the suspension parts I listed in a previous post all broke. That is the cause of the odd looking appearance of the wheel.

Rogue, thanks for sharing your 'tale of wait'. I am convinced that the BMW 'spare parts inventory' system, the location of damage/material failure on the vegicle and the rarity of GTs on the road have combined to cause delays for any repair, whatever the cause.

I also have thought about the effect on any re-sale or trade-in value but can't do much about it at this point. I may cross that bridge when I get to it. I am hoping that using my dealer's Collision Centre will still lend a bit of the 'CPO' aura to it but we'll see.

Like you, I miss having my GT but relative to the sudden death of my sister-in-law to a heart attack four days after the accident and nearly losing a good friend to a heart attack a week after the accident, (both my age, he's OK but damn lucky) having to wait to get it back seems less 'anger-worthy' than it might have been in my younger days since I do have the loaner car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM

Don"t Have A Collision

Finally some good news- I learned today that the suspension parts arrived today from Germany without any warning (just as earlier indicated by the Collision Centre staff).

Tomorrow my GT goes to dealer for the parts to be installed. The door and quarter panel have not yet arrived but at least some progress can made before they arrive.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
There is no spoon

Old 08-09-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
I hate to be a bit of a party pooper for anyone considering purchasing a GT and I offer this tale to current GT'ers. This is what has happened to me and the attached picture tells part of the story. I was hit by a lady lawyer on 23 May and, as you can see , my GT was not driveable. The details are not important but I suffered no injuries at all and the air bags in either her car or mine did not even go off. My damage was assessed by the Insurance Company at around $12,500 (CDN) and 24 days of labor. The main damage is the right rear door and rear quarter panel and four broken rear suspension parts, all of which have to be replaced.

As I submit this post, it is now about 8 weeks after the accident and absolutely nothing has been done to the car. Attempts by the BMW Collision Centre (in Ottawa, Ontario where I live and owned by the dealer from whom I bought the vehicle) to source the required parts in both Canada and the US were unsuccessful forcing a back order for them to be placed with BMW in Germany. Acknowledgement of that order has been received but, despite several attempts through BMW Canada and directly to BMW in Germany, no due date for delivery is available and I have learned that such dates are never given. The parts will just arrive at the Collision Centre `out of the blue`` and the 24-day clock will start.

I have asked if this type of situation is common and they said it is for `rare models` of which, we can all agree, the GT is one. There aren`t really that many on the road (relative to the 3 series for example) and they have previously repaired another GT that took a long time to complete because of parts issues. Still, the chassis has not changed since 2010 such that the parts for my repair should be readily available from Germany. " It isn`t rocket science" as the GT is based on a 7-Series short wheel base chassis and I am disappointed with a situation that leaves the Collision Centre and me hanging like we are. I heard a rumour that spare parts are only manufactured three times a year which if true means I may have a long wait. It is a strange way for a premium brand to operate in such cases given it does so many things so well.

Needless to say I am frustrated but I did ask for, and received, a loaner car (a 2013 Subaru Legacy with 1775 kilometers (1100 miles) on the odometer). Thus I do not have to stick the insurance company with car rental charges that top out at $1500 under my policy and which I would easily reach (even renting a compact car for the three days a week I really need my own transportation) before my GT is ever repaired.

I truly hope that none of you fellow GT'ers ever have a collision and have to endure the kind of unceratin wait that I currently am.
What BMW tries to tell is BS and this has nothing to do with the GT. In Germany BMW switch their central spare parts department to SAP software and it affects all types of BMW spare parts. Since about 2 month they have big problems delivering spare parts all over. They do have the parts in stock but their computers do not know where atm. Some cars in germany are grounded at the BMW dealership for weeks and the customer where given free BMW´s to drive as their own car are sitting and waiting for repair.

BMW did not change their software the last 30 years and never had such problems shipping parts out. But well, seems all 30 years this can occur.

Talk to your BMW dealer so they can give you a free loaner car as long yours is sitting at the shop. And this should be a BMW and not a Subaru.

Hopefully the situation is back to normal end of September. So if you need spare parts, order early.

Last edited by FredM; 08-09-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Don"t Have A Collision

Fred, thanks for the insight that you would know being in Germany. I could not understand why a longstanding company like BMW would not have an optimized inventory control system for spare parts. If it is comverting to SAP software then that can be problematic. It has been introduced in a number of departments in the government of Canada and always had initial startup and learning curve problems though SAP never 'sells' that fact when it is flogging its software to potential customers. I wonder if there is any 'buyer's regret' among those BMW decision-makers who bought into, and approved, a change.

The reason I have the Subaru is that the owner of my BMW dealership also owns a Subaru dealership as well a the Collision Centre where my GT is for repair. I don't need a BMW loaner and the Subaru Outback I have is adequate for what I need.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
Fred, thanks for the insight that you would know being in Germany. I could not understand why a longstanding company like BMW would not have an optimized inventory control system for spare parts. If it is comverting to SAP software then that can be problematic. It has been introduced in a number of departments in the government of Canada and always had initial startup and learning curve problems though SAP never 'sells' that fact when it is flogging its software to potential customers. I wonder if there is any 'buyer's regret' among those BMW decision-makers who bought into, and approved, a change.

The reason I have the Subaru is that the owner of my BMW dealership also owns a Subaru dealership as well a the Collision Centre where my GT is for repair. I don't need a BMW loaner and the Subaru Outback I have is adequate for what I need.

Hi Fish,

I think BMW is able to give SAP hell about the delay. They usualy charge alot of penalty if contracters of some sort are late.

I hope all works out well and you can enjoy your GT again soon.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Don"t Have A Collision

Thanks for your concern and thoughts. I agree that SAP will have to compensate BMW in some manner for a less-than-smooth changeover. It being the sunmer vacation season can't help either. Meanwhile I have heard little (though I put in a request for an update this past Friday afternoon). I assume that all the work that can be done not related to the door and quarter panel is being done so that when they arrive there won't be much left to go. I miss having my GT but I appreciate having a loaner which is a big help.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Latest status - good news and bad news. While the previously-obtained suspension parts were being installed at the dealership, other suspension parts were identified as also requiring replacement. They are currently .....wait for it.......on back order from Germany and, like before, no indication of when they might appear. Oh yes, the good news - my GT was brought back to the Collision Centre to progress some of the body work but the door and quarter panel have not yet arrived either. It will be twelve weeks since the accident in two days. Sigh.......
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Wow. That is just terrible. I almost had an accident yesterday and thought of this thread.
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 AM
There is no spoon

That's disappointing... Hopefully no more surprises in the part requirements here on out.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Oak and daders, thanks for the sympathetic thoughts. Much appreciated.

I am working on a draft e-mail to Customer Service for BMW Germany, info Customer Service BMW North America, Customer Service Canada, my dealer and the Collision Center.
In it I will ask why a simple repair had to be held up so long for parts back orders that could not be filled in North America by a premium car brand.

I have already had acquaintances say to me that they would not consider a BMW because of my situation (but might have otherwise). To them, it reflects poorly on corporate BMW particularly when a parts back order is acknowledged and no expected delivery date is ever provided (whereas one is always provided for parts coming from Toronto or Vancouver (which no doubt applies for US-sourced parts as well).
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
There is no spoon

Fish,

Definitely write your letter. Not sure you can request this but if your dealer can provide a customer feedback survey that submits directly to BMW-NA or Canada. If my experience is typical in how they respond then you should be receiving many calls. Upon delivery our car had hand marks on all leather surfaces, the back of the front seats, etc... nothing permanent, just an annoyance. I mentioned it in the survey and have received multiple phone calls from the dealership and BMWNA because at the bottom of the survey there were selections for both (what I thought was an option that I would accept calls from both, but turned out to be a request to be contacted by both) to contact me.

Just a thought, I hope they respond in a manner deserving of the situation.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM
Beemer novice

Mein Auto: 2013 535i GT
Fish23, I feel for you while reading your plight. It's nice to note your positive perspectives with regard to the Subaru loaner and the loss and near loss of loved ones. You are not hurt (physically anyway) and that's the best part. I hope the mental anguish will be assuaged soon with the return of your GT!