Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
Thinking about '10-'11 535i GT - recommendations?

After experiencing the letdown due to xDrive only F31 and F34, I started looking around and noticed that 2-3yr old F07s are very reasonably priced these days. So, I'd like to get some advice from current owners to help me with my search for the right specimen:

- Must have options?
- Options to be avoided?
- Any significant differences between MY2010 and MY2011?
- Easy/difficult to find one with ZMP?

Thanks all in advance.
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
There were some running changes made in 09/10, so there are some parts availability issues depending on when the vehicle was built...this can affect things like wheels, and other things that will fit. Lots more made after that date than before.

The standard features changed a lot between 11 and 12 models, where nav and a few other things became standard that were extra cost options previously.

You really want the backup camera. The other cameras in the optional package are nice, but not as necessary. Personally, I really like the HUD, but it is moderately expensive. THey changed the HUD from monochrome to multicolor in the 11MY.

Depending on where you live, the heated seats may be a factor. I also have the heated rear seats, and while I don't have passengers back there all that often, they do appreciate it.

People with the V8 tend to report using oil, my I6 has not registered any oil use between changes. The turbos and the 8-speed transmission have the thing cruising at easily less than 2,000rpm which makes for a quiet, economical ride.

The extra buttons on the mirror for things like garage door opener didn't become standard until 2012, and was in a package prior to that (not available as a standalone option). I do like the Comfort Access - that is available only in a package of other things UNLESS you special order the vehicle, then you can order it standalone (there are some things a dealer can't order unless the car is being built for a specific customer; i.e., can't be built for dealer stock).

Some have reported issues with the larger optional wheels and tires wearing unevenly. I've not had that issue with my stock 18" wheels. If your car sits for long periods, you may want to invest in a trickle charger for it...there are a bunch of things that continue to run when off, and it can be hard on the battery. If it's a (nearly) daily driver, that generally isn't an issue. I'm retired, and my not go anywhere for a week, and they replaced my battery once under warranty. I've started to use my trickle charger more often when I know I'm not going anywhere for awhile.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I have to endorse what jad has offered in response. (In my 2011 535 GT with x-drive, I don't have HUD but do have 18" wheels and the rear camera, a must have). See if you can have the upgraded sound system. Set it up for the sound you like using the 10-band equalizer. Play your own music via a music player or importing the files to the GT's hard disk, crank up the volume and enjoy the ride in a travelling sound chamber. I would heed jad's advice to have the trickle charger, especially if you live in a cold climate (my dealer installs one in each new car and puts the cost on the sticker). I have the standard rear seat which gives you the moveable console and thus more rear seat room than the premium reat seats which fixes the console in place. The upograded front seats give you multiple adjustments and include the seat extender which is nice any time but especially on long trips. If you decide on one be sure to post some pictures for us!

Last edited by Fish23; 02-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is / 11 535Xi GT
You can PM me your email and I can send you a mad excel spreadsheet I made when I shopped for mine.
What I did was to take the VIN of the car, looked it up and got the list of all the options on it. From there I got the MSRP of the car with the original pricelist and calculated the estimated value. I also highlighted the options that mattered to me and made a point system. In Boston, you might want to get an xDrive with CWP (cold weather) which would limit you to 2011 models...
I have never encountered a single car without the backup camera. When they did not have the camera package which includes backup and side cameras, they had the backup only.
For me the important features were Convenience, Nav, Cold weather, sport and dynamic handling, Then Camera, HUD and ceramic control were nice to have.
Try to get a CPO if you can. In my case, I managed to get a car with more than 4 years of warranty remaining.
2009 Z4 30i Space Gray (retired)
2011 Z4 35is Space Gray
2011 535i GT xDrive Space Gray
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

It looks like F07 has pretty good packaging even in barebones configuration, with just a few exceptions. In my case, that would be heated seats (because Boston), 6NF, and autodimming mirrors. I want nav and rear view camera (which I'm now adding to the list based on your recommendations), but there are retrofits available for them, so I could buy a car without them and take care of it later (and use it for negotiation leverage). I don't much care for upgraded sound - my radio is hard set to NPR. Comfort seats are nice to have, but I could live without them. So, basically, I need ZCW or 464, ZCV, 609, and 6NF.

I definitely don't want xDrive. Not being able to get RWD in F31 or F34 is what brought me here in the first place. My solution for winters is a good set of winter tires (you should see my wife's 135i when wearing Blizzaks, running around all those Jeeps and Explorers with their AWD and crap rubber). And F07 is plenty heavy in RWD already. Though, given the local market and how everyone here has been brainwashed into thinking AWD is necessary in our climate, even when their cars never see unplowed roads, I'll probably have to find my car outside of New England.

I see that most cars on the used market have those options and often more, so I don't think it'll be difficult for me to find something. Though, interestingly enough, I just found a really well priced example that seems to have no options whatsoever - which is probably why it's so well priced in the first place.

Rafale, you got PM. I appreciate what you've done - I did the same for my unsuccessful search of manual E61s (too few, too many people wanting them, very expensive as a result) and I know how much effort it takes.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM

The F07 in x-drive with winter tires is a tank...it can go pretty much anywhere, anytime you want. There are only a few winter tires available in RFT...I have some Pilot Alpin 2's on mine. The extra stability is nice, but yes, I could have survived with rear drive (but you should see my driveway!).
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The F07 in x-drive with winter tires is a tank...it can go pretty much anywhere, anytime you want. There are only a few winter tires available in RFT...I have some Pilot Alpin 2's on mine. The extra stability is nice, but yes, I could have survived with rear drive (but you should see my driveway!).
NH is very different from Boston and its near suburbs. You get much more snow than we do (a lot of snowfalls you get end up being just a nasty rain here). You have more rural roads where plowing or salting may not be as thorough. And you do have longer driveways on the average too. Bottom line, we have two RWD BMWs in the family right now, and we never feel any desire to have xDrive - we just don't encounter such situations here.

For winter tires, I don't see RFT as a necessity. I'll feel totally comfortable with non-RFT and M mobility kit in the trunk.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Should you actually need the mobility kit, be prepared to replace the TPMS as well. Might not, but probably. Then, not all flats can be repaired with the kit. Having to stop at some places may not be the safest, either.

It's all a balancing act and what you are comfortable with. Driving on a flat RFT usually means replacing it, too, but if you carry a small compressor, you may be able to forestall that if the leak isn't too fast.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
NH is very different from Boston and its near suburbs. You get much more snow than we do (a lot of snowfalls you get end up being just a nasty rain here). You have more rural roads where plowing or salting may not be as thorough. And you do have longer driveways on the average too. Bottom line, we have two RWD BMWs in the family right now, and we never feel any desire to have xDrive - we just don't encounter such situations here.

For winter tires, I don't see RFT as a necessity. I'll feel totally comfortable with non-RFT and M mobility kit in the trunk.
If you're going to change tires (the right move with the F07), try the Dunlop WinterSports RFT. No need to compromise.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
If heated seats are your thing, than the heated steering wheel will be important.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM
God is on vacation

Mein Auto: BMW 535 GT
Except toilet seat

Bar the AWD I think you should just about get everything except a toilet seat.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
Get the camera package. You can park the car with just looking at the nav screen. I got mine used also and it had the camera pkg. It is now a must have for me. The 20 way adjustable seats are a must have too. I also like the premium sound. MIne has the rear DVD's but I have no use for them. If you have kids then you might want them. Heated seats are nice but here in FLorida we seldom use them. Same goes for the XDrive. Waste of money and gas down here. The wheels on the sport pkg are nice along with the sport steering wheel.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
Just got one!

Just got a CPO 2011 535iGT -14K miles! -sports package, cold weather package (but no heated steering wheel) -camera package and upgraded sound package. What else should I know about? I'm very excited to start driving it!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 AM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Congratulations!!
Find someone in your area to code the car to your specification. For more info, look up threads on coding in this forum or the F10 forum.