Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 05-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to GimpyMcFarlan
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Crimson/Beige
Team PTG Announces a Four-Car Formula BMW USA Program

I apologize if this is a report...

Winchester, Va. (March 26, 2004) – Tom Milner, owner of Prototype Technology Group, announced today a four-car program for the inaugural 2004 Formula BMW USA Championship. Based in Winchester, Va. the team boasts two of the six 2004 Formula BMW USA scholarship winners, Milner’s 18-year old son, Tom Milner, of Leesburg, Va. and Billy Johnson, 17, of San Clemente, Calif. Tom Sutherland, 15, of Los Gatos, Calif. will drive a third BMW FB2. Team PTG is in the process of finalizing a fourth driver.
“Formula BMW USA was something of great interest in our house after the announcement at the USGP last September,” said Milner. “My son Tom began racing karts in 1999 and had gone to two racing schools last year. His birthday present this year was the trip to Valencia for the licensing and scholarship program in January. I was delighted he had been awarded a scholarship so it appears we have a driver in the family.”
“Tom and Billy got to know each other in Valencia and, in fact, shared a car for some of the time,” continued Milner. “They got along quite well and have shown me that they can act as teammates. That is fundamental to any team’s success and something a team owner looks for.”
All three new drivers became serious about karting some three years ago with Johnson realizing the most success to date. He was the 2003 Grand National Champion in the Super Stock CR125 shifter class and a Red Bull Stage-3 semi-finalist.

"I'm very excited to be racing Formula BMW USA this year," said Johnson. "The FB2 is great to drive and to be racing in front of F1 and Champ Car team owners is fantastic. I'm especially looking forward to be racing at Indy in front of thousands of enthusiastic fans. I'm thankful to PTG for giving me a fantastic opportunity. I can't think of a better scenario to be in for my first season in cars."
Sutherland echoes Johnson’s sentiments. “I feel this is an incredible opportunity to be one of the youngest race car drivers in the U.S”, said the high school freshman. “Most other 15 year olds get excited about new video games, but to be driving a Formula BMW is beyond exciting.”

“Racing with F1 and Champ Car at some of the most famous tracks in North America is very special,” said the young Tom Milner. “I have grown up around PTG and BMW and to be racing for both gives me a lot of confidence. I had a great time in Valencia and I got to see where I stood with other young guys at a similar point in their careers. Winning the scholarship doesn’t mean the season will be easy. There will be very strong competition.”Team PTG has a very long history with BMW, as they have been BMW of North America’s exclusively supported M3 racing team for the past nine years. Since 1995 Team PTG has won four sports car manufacturer championships for BMW, four team titles and three driver championships.

Although open-wheel racing is a departure for Team PTG it is a homecoming of sorts for owner Milner. The 30-year sports car racing veteran began his career managing teams that included a partnership with Bill Scott Racing that produced 10 Formula Vee, Super Vee and Formula Ford championships from 1967 to 1984.
Drivers who have raced for Tom Milner and PTG include Bobby Rahal, Paul Newman, Rick Mears, Pete Halsmer, Scott Goodyear, Arie Luyendyk and Scott Sharp.

The team’s first test will be at Sebring International Raceway in Sebring, Fla. on April 12 and 13. The opening round of the 2004 Formula BMW USA Championship will be on May 27-31 at Lime Rock Park, Conn.

More information on Team PTG and the 2004 Formula BMW USA Championship can be found at www.ptgracing.com and www.bmwusa.com/formulabmwusa.com.
Ads by Google
Old 05-30-2004, 01:33 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Thanks for the update - looks like another series we'll have to try and keep up with
Photo gallery
Old 05-31-2004, 07:27 AM

Smile

Yea, I'm excited to see them run at the IMS during the F1 weekend. The engines output just 140HP, but the cars only weight 1K pounds. I wish they would run w/ the sportscars series at MidOhio instead of the Formula Ford series.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:58 AM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Are you going to be at Indy? If so, could you tell us more about the cars? One thing I'd be interested to know is if all the cars have the same livery or are they allowed to have different sponsor liveries (and if there would be any way B'fest could get on a car )
Photo gallery
Old 06-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Racecar Driver

Mein Auto: Spec Miata
The cars should be liveried up in whatever scheme the drivers/teams/sponsors choose...they are in Europe anyway.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:22 PM

Yes, I'll be at Indy and I'll gather as much info as I can on the Formula BMW cars, however I don't have the $$$ to get into gasoline alley so all the pics will be from a distance.