Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F12 / F13 M6 & F06 M6 Gran Coupe (2012 - current)

F12 / F13 M6 & F06 M6 Gran Coupe (2012 - current)
F12 / F13 BMW M6 and F06 M6 Gran Coupe Forum.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
M6 Gran Coupe - First Impressions

I picked up my new M6 Gran Coupe on Saturday. My first problem was that they had a black and a white car, both with black interiors. I wanted white, then I saw the black, and then I couldn't decide. My last car was black and I decided to go with what I had originally wanted, which was the white one.

My first impression when I saw the car was WOW! The car is beautiful. I may have bought it just for the looks and style.

I had built the car online on the BMW USA website and the options online only offered wood trim, my car has carbon fiber trim and it looks outstanding! I was really thrilled that they carried that over from the M6 coupe, I really didn't want wood trim...again.

Then I drove it, again WOW! I've owned other high performance cars, including my latest being a Corvette Z06, so I am not easily impressed by most car's so-called performance. The M6 has not disappointed me. The car performs exceptionally for a 4 door sedan, and yet has manners enough to be able to talk on the phone while cruising at highway speeds on a concrete freeway. I have not yet taken the car on a day trip, but look forward to cruising it to Vegas in the coming weeks.

I really like the programmable driving profiles and that they are easy to activate by buttons on the steering wheel. The choices include suspension, engine, steering, shift profile, stability control, and heads-up display options. Each driver can have their own too. As for my wife's key, I set both up on a mild setup so incase she hit the M1 button, she didn't find herself with a race profile that requires manual shifting.

Heads-up Display - the Heads-up display is bright and there are several options that you can select or "de-select". I like the "M-Display" which is in color and adds the tachometer and shift point alert for maximum acceleration. My high end Oakley polarized sunglasses reduces the brightness by about 75%, but it is visible. It was not in my Z06 with any polarized glasses. There is a rotation adjustment that is meant to help, but it doesn't do much and it angles the display so I left it at the center setting. The display can also be turned off. My car has the driver assistance package that also displays the speed limit info. I was impressed at it's accuracy because it not only uses GPS data, it also actually reads the speed limit signs as there was temporary construction near my home on a small road, the temporary speed limit was displayed by the car, as soon as we passed the usual speed limit sign after the construction, the car then displayed that speed limit. BMW needs to allow the speed alert to compare your speed to the speed limit a allow you to adjust your alert depending on the amount over the speed limit you want to be alerted to.

The seats are comfortable and supportive. They are a good compromise between performance and everyday driving.

The trunk is decent size, the rear seats fold down to allow larger items (i.e., golf bags to be stored), but there's also a ski bag that extends into the passenger compartment, that the shafts of your longer clubs can fit in and still fit 2 golf bags in the trunk if you must take more than 2 to the golf course.

The ride is firm, even in the "comfort" setting, but it's an M, if you want a "Cushy" ride, get the 650i/640i or 7 series. (my wife's 740i will ride like a cruise ship in smooth water if you dare to put the ride adjustment to comfort, if you do, why are you on the M forum?)

Tire noise on some surfaces is more than expected, but again, it's an M and the cornering performance is a higher priority.

Exhaust note: It's quieter when the engine is set to "Efficient" setting, it sounds awesome in the other settings or whenever you accelerate hard.

Transmission - the shifts are smooth and extremely fast. In the level 3 setting, on hard acceleration, the tires spin on shifts to each gear and the shifts are immediate, as if you're speed shifting a manual transmission.

The transmission control and lack of drive engagement at idle threw me a little at first. It reminds me of my first car, with a high stall torque converter. I'm still getting used to that and it does make it a bit harder to creep into a tight parking spot, as a little nudge of the gas peddle makes the car lurch like it wants to run. No P on the shifter makes it look more like a manual trans too, setting the parking break is a must since the car only goes into "park" when the engine is off and the car is in Neutral. This is not a complaint, just a comment. My wife for example, won't like that it's not your standard functioning automatic trans.

One unexpected side effect with this car is, everywhere I've gone, people stop me and tell me what a beautiful car the M6 is. I've had one guy stop me and tell me that his son was afraid to ask to see the car up close and that it was his dream car. Pictures truly don't do the car justice.

Bottom line, I am extremely happy with my new purchase and I hope that if you're on the fence about purchasing one vs. another car, this helps you decide.

Last edited by PackerFan; 08-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: M6
Congratulations! That is a great car and a great choice of color. You can see the lines of the M6 GC much better with the white color.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
M6 Gran Coupe - First Impressions

I'm curious, what made made you go with the M6 GC over something like an M5, the new RS7, an S65 etc

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
I'm curious, what made made you go with the M6 GC over something like an M5, the new RS7, an S65 etc

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
To answer your questions, the reasons are mostly my personal preference, but here it is:

M6 GC vs. M5 - Style and looks of the car. The M6 also outperforms the M5, but I'm not a professional driver and will never even reach the limits of the M5. I just got out of a Benz E550, the M5 reminds me of that car, not necessarily on the same level of performance, but the interior, shape and feel are very close. I drove the M5 several times.

S65 - Benz is due to update the S class soon, the current S is an older design, been around since '06?. or '07. Also too big. My wife has a 7 series when we need more room.

Audi - love the Audi, both RS7 and R8, although did not drive either. I eliminated Audi from my consideration nearest Audi dealer is and hour away, not convenient when it comes to service. That time can be doubled at the wrong times of day, like every weekday morning or evening. I experienced that when I had the Benz, until recently, the closest Benz dealer, was across the street from the closest Audi dealer. Yes, they gave me loaner cars, but it was still a hassle to schedule the time to get there and back, adding 4 hours minimum of driving for each service...hour there, hour back to drop off the car, and same to pick it up.

I've also had great service experience with the 3 prior BMW's I've owned, with the dealer close by too.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsocal View Post
Congratulations! That is a great car and a great choice of color. You can see the lines of the M6 GC much better with the white color.
I agree! My family tried talking me into a black one, my Benz was black, my wife's 740i is black, and when I went to buy my white M6 GC, there was a black one on the showroom floor. It too was beautiful, but I stayed true to my original observation that the lines of the car are accentuated more in white, especially in morning or late afternoon sunlight.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan View Post
Pictures truly don't do the car justice..
That may be, but I think I speak for us all when I propose that you go ahead and post up a few.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM

I haven't had time to take any good pictures, but took these with my phone:

Last edited by PackerFan; 08-15-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Taken today after having 3M Crystalline 90 tint installed on the windshield, 40 on all other windows, 3M protective coat on headlamp lenses.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Very nice. The rear deck of the M6 coupe and GC is so perfect IMO. Love the rear design of these models. Congrats on the color choices and not picking the Audis - I just don't get how the Audi can compare to the M6, but that's just me.

The rims, steering wheel, sweeping dash lines and rear dimensions are just beautiful. Enjoy it!