Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Anybody consider a Tesla Model S (Performance) over the f10 M5??

Close in performance - (0-60 Tesla supposedly is faster). If range is not an issue - the model S is a cool and fast car. Seems a bit expensive for what you get. Even after $7500 Obama rebate it is $100k (performance model) with some accessories. Then they charge $600 a year for service. But no hi-octane fuel off sets the price over time.

I posted on the Tesla board and not suprisingly most of them thought I was nuts to consider an old ICE car ('13 f10 M5) over a Model S.
Ads by Google
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: Tampa
Personally I don't care for the look of the Tesla... one parked next to me at a hockey game and I was not impressed. Kinda looks like a rental car to me, not very aggressive looking at all. The interior was very nice, but you don't get Nav if you are not in cell coverage range.... which I guess is no big deal because you won't be going very far with it. Again, I would say to the Tesla crowd.. sure you can beat me to 60... but after 5 times doing that and one time around the track, you are going to have to have a flat bed come pick you up because you will be out of juice...
2013 BMW M5 (Sold)
2011 BMW X5 5.0 M Sport (Sold)
2011 BMW 335I Convertible (Sold)
2011 BMW 750Li M Sport (Sold)
2012 BMW Z4 35is (Sold)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: depends on location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Close in performance - (0-60 Tesla supposedly is faster). If range is not an issue - the model S is a cool and fast car. Seems a bit expensive for what you get. Even after $7500 Obama rebate it is $100k (performance model) with some accessories. Then they charge $600 a year for service. But no hi-octane fuel off sets the price over time.

I posted on the Tesla board and not suprisingly most of them thought I was nuts to consider an old ICE car ('13 f10 M5) over a Model S.

i drove the tesla roadster in the mountains before and it is a really fun car to drive. Fast and great handling ... however if you are looking for that 'car driving' feel ... it lacks it completely. I had fun driving it because it felt like a adult go-kart on steroids ... but I wouldn't really care to own it.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
If I am coughing up 100K I would not like to blend with all the 1/2 price dumb S! Lol it will be a M5 for sure. If 50k I shall consider Tesla
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
I went into the Tesla store at the Domain last night

It is a manufacturers outlet so they can't talk price. The girl told me that the Tesla outruns the M5 in 0-100mph and I should google it. She says the Tesla has 440ft lb torque and I know the M5 is 500 so I told her it had to be a bad driver in the M5. I googled the video and guess what, it's no longer up anywhere, not even edited into other videos. I suspect it was taken down because it was misleading. Apparently the M5 spins out at the start which was my guess.

Anyway, the M5 is a very fine machine and you get a lot more for the money than just the speed. It's a better driving car and has superior range. You can't get that Tesla out on the back roads of Texas and run it to 180mph or whatever the top end is on the M5. Not having one I wouldn't know but I get my 535 up to 147 easily. I haven't speed tested the top end since I got the Dinan Stage 2 but I have run it to 130 from 70 and it gets there faster now. The low end with that Dinan tune is also impressive, I can get rear end slip now from 30mph when I hit it and that never happened before the tune.

The interior of the M5 is much better than the Tesla I saw last night. The upholstery in the Tesla isn't close to as nice and the design of the controls is better in the M5 if you ask me. Also, most M5's are sold with the executive package which includes the active, ventilated seats. I have those in my new X5 and they are the best seats I have ever experienced in a car.

The Tesla is just an around town car and great for commuting but that isn't what I would pay $110k for, not now anyway. I can get a lot more car for the money buying the M5.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 04-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumafa124 View Post
i drove the tesla roadster in the mountains before and it is a really fun car to drive. Fast and great handling ... however if you are looking for that 'car driving' feel ... it lacks it completely. I had fun driving it because it felt like a adult go-kart on steroids ... but I wouldn't really care to own it.
I drove the 2.5 roadstar on track. It was fast 0-80 but at 112 to 115 it was doggy.
Model S would not be a car for me until electric is widely available and there is competition with Lithium ion battery pack.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Hello

Yes I did but the M5 is a superior car. No question.

I agree with wrsbmw post. I could drive both the Tesla S twice and the M5 about 6 times.

First the video showing the Tesla S "beating" the M5 is very lame. You will clearly see that the Tesla S is departing BEFORE the M5 thus she is arriving a bit before the M5 (about half the car length). I would say that they are comparable on this video.

Second, we dont even know in this video if the M5 driver was using launch control or not. That would make a huge difference.

Then with my own experience I can safely say that the interior of the M5 is way superior to the Tesla S one. There is absolutely no comparison at all. The Tesla S feels cheap and its quality is very so so. The M5 interior is superior and its quality is top notch. I personally hate the 17inches touch screen on the Tesla S. It is way too intrusive when you are driving and also you have some light reflexions on it that are painful.

If you compare autonomy, the M5 is beating the Tesla S big time: I could get 420 mile from a 21gal tank on a M5. If you can get 300 miles from a Tesla S, you will be "lucky" or ... running at 55mph.

Then if you want to go to the racetrack, the Tesla S will not last too long as already said.

Also, the Tesla S is actually more expensive than a M5 for comparable installed options. So what you have to put in gazoline on the M5 for about 3 years is roughly the difference in price.

But then, there is the "big lies" from Tesla about durability of the batteries (they are supposed to last 8 years...) and cost for changing them. On a Testla 85kWh, the cost is about $12K if your prepaid them now. This is the cost in 8 years from now as Tesla is betting on price reduction. The current cost would be about 3 to 4 times that price, so basically between $36K a $48K. I have heard that it is $560 per kWh, so you do the maths... Then try to sell a Tesla S after 4 years of usage, knowing that the batteries are 50% used, I am betting that its value will be not very high and not very appealing to a potential buyer.

Last and not least, you CANNOT practically recharge a Tesla S everywhere you go. Yes you can recharge it but it will take 20h on a normal 110V socket. Until you have those fast charging station everywhere, this is NOT practicable, except for commuting to your work where you can recharge your car too if you are lucky.

All in all, I am convinced that in 10 years from now, those electric cars will be a viable option and that their cost will go down in some ways. But for now, there are more like expensive commute cars for rich people that want to be fancy: because you need to have another car to be able to have a Testla S.

Go for a M5, you will enjoy it a lot. Much more than a Tesla S. Then just look back at the electric cars in 5 to 10 years from now.

PS: the Tesla S is not making any engine noise. I widely prefer to hear the sound of the twin turbo V8 in the M5... (even if some purists would even prefer the old V10)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
great decision.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I am waiting to see how the Tesla fairs long term.

Unlike a traditional car, the Tesla poses an interesting question for resale.

Case in point, what will be the resale value on an 8 year old Tesla that needs a new battery pack which Tesla claims cost $30k retail?

How many folks would be willing to buy a used car that needs $30k in repairs? If so what would it be worth.

I have a hunch that an $100k Tesla compared to an $100k M5 from a resale value perspective will be drastically different.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
I am waiting to see how the Tesla fairs long term.

Unlike a traditional car, the Tesla poses an interesting question for resale.

Case in point, what will be the resale value on an 8 year old Tesla that needs a new battery pack which Tesla claims cost $30k retail?

How many folks would be willing to buy a used car that needs $30k in repairs? If so what would it be worth.

I have a hunch that an $100k Tesla compared to an $100k M5 from a resale value perspective will be drastically different.
Totally agree.

Not to mention Tesla just announced they a "unique" financing scheme. Where you basically finance the car as a purchase and Tesla gives you a guraranteed buyback price 3 years later.

Effectively a lease residual of 43%!!!! That says wonders of what they think the cars will be worth in 3 years..
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3m3 View Post
Totally agree.

Not to mention Tesla just announced they a "unique" financing scheme. Where you basically finance the car as a purchase and Tesla gives you a guraranteed buyback price 3 years later.

Effectively a lease residual of 43%!!!! That says wonders of what they think the cars will be worth in 3 years..
Someone pointed out on another post that what if battery technology gets better and costs half as much or a 1/4 as much in 10 years.

Since a large costs of a Tesla is batteries, would Tesla prices come down or go up?

Time will tell.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
After I test drove both M5 and Tesla S performance, my answer: No Way Jose!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Once super-capacitors get traction, Tesla all the way.

For now and the foreseeable future, M5.

Last edited by drallafi; 05-15-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
I just bought my M5 and much prefer it over the Tesla. As far as I can tell, I have the only M5 in my neighborhood but there are already 4 or 5 Teslas.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
I just bought my M5 and much prefer it over the Tesla. As far as I can tell, I have the only M5 in my neighborhood but there are already 4 or 5 Teslas.
i think you have to compare number of Model S Performance models to M5, or Model S to F10s in general.

I'm sure there are more F10 5 series in your area than Teslas.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
Someone pointed out on another post that what if battery technology gets better and costs half as much or a 1/4 as much in 10 years.

Since a large costs of a Tesla is batteries, would Tesla prices come down or go up?

Time will tell.
This really is the key point if you are ok with the driving comparison between the two.
I suppose for a lot of peolpe who continually lease a high dollar car, such as business owners, the residual or trade value won't matter since you could walk into a new lease well before the Telsa battery lifetime becomes an issue.

For me, I just don't like the Telsa styling at all, aside from the driving feel. The wheel wells look too low and the whole rear end just looks bloated from the side profile. No question IMO the M5 is the more desirable car, but I need AWD enough to not make it the best choice for me. Tons of Telsas around my area of late, but nothing like they were crawling all over like Honda Accords recently while in the OC.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
I just got a 2013 M5 with a 6-sp manual and looked hard at the Tesla before getting the M5.

The Tesla is a brilliant car: well built, nice interior (in the front of the car, more on that in a minute) and phenomenal performance. What I didn't like were: 1) no driver involvement, it is a well built nicely riding appliance; 2) the back seat area is pretty bad: no cupholders in the back, not even a center arm-rest for rear passengers; 3) unproven long-term reliability etc.

The M5, especially with the 6 speed manual, is just a demon. Its impeccably finished, has tons of driver involvement, and the knowledge that you have a twin-turbo V8 monster under the hood is enough to make any red-blooded enthusiast sit up and start speaking German.