Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

Mein Auto: AH 3 & Countryman
2014 BMW M5 Competition Package with Video

We just received our first Comp Pack M5 here at the dealership and I took it for a short spin. I kept it short and way under the rev limit since it will be some lucky person's baby some day but I loved it. You can check out my initial impressions and an awesome video with the exhaust note on my site linked below. Questions, comments, and feedback always appreciated. It's a shame it wasn't DCT...

http://www.sixspeedandcaffeine.com/2...l#.UgQ2ZNIqY_s
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5; 2004 X5 3.0
I saw this car

Steven is the consummate car enthusiast.

He gave me an early peak and listen to the LCI yesterday afternoon.

My interest was the exhaust.

The competition exhaust at idle sounds just like the idle on my stock 2013 F10 M5.

However, once you rev it up, the tone is deeper, throatier. Also spits out a throatier BRAAP, BRAAP, BRAAP, that many aftermarket exhausts seem to lose.

Thanks for the show Steven.

Last edited by m4dzl; 08-10-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

2014 BMW M5 Competition Package with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dzl View Post
Stephen is the consummate car enthusiast.

He gave me an early peak and listen to the LCI yesterday afternoon.

My interest was the exhaust.

The competition exhaust at idle sounds just like the idle on my stock 2013 F10 M5.

However, once you rev it up, the tone is deeper, throatier. Also spits out a throatier BRAAP, BRAAP, BRAAP, that many aftermarket exhausts seem to lose.

Thanks for the show Stephen.
Thank you for the praise! It's always a pleasure talking to a fellow enthusiast.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven@BMWRockville.com View Post
We just received our first Comp Pack M5 here at the dealership and I took it for a short spin. I kept it short and way under the rev limit since it will be some lucky person's baby some day but I loved it. You can check out my initial impressions and an awesome video with the exhaust note on my site linked below. Questions, comments, and feedback always appreciated. It's a shame it wasn't DCT...

http://www.sixspeedandcaffeine.com/2...l#.UgQ2ZNIqY_s
Wrong. It's great news to hear that BMW is still offering the M5 the way it should be, 6 speed manual, or should I add the only way a M car should be. But then again some people enjoy the easy way out and letting the car do the driving for them. You can have your .2 to .3 seconds at 0-60, the reality of it is most people can not drive the dct well enough to achieve 0 to 60 in 3.8-4.0 seconds anyway. And yes I have driven the DCT M5, that's why I chose the manual.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
Wrong. It's great news to hear that BMW is still offering the M5 the way it should be, 6 speed manual, or should I add the only way a M car should be. But then again some people enjoy the easy way out and letting the car do the driving for them. You can have your .2 to .3 seconds at 0-60, the reality of it is most people can not drive the dct well enough to achieve 0 to 60 in 3.8-4.0 seconds anyway. And yes I have driven the DCT M5, that's why I chose the manual.
I fully get and understand the 'driver involvement'/fun aspect of manual transmissions, but the simple truth is that technology has moved past manual transmissions. I don't know if it's the natural resistance to change or something else (other than fun related to past experience), but DCT's, PDK's, etc. offer better performance, not the least being full time left foot braking.

Before you argue, there's still a manual in my garage, I do understand the fun aspect, but it's quickly becoming reminiscing and the more you apply yourself to the 'clutchless transmissions' there's plenty of fun left and plenty new to discover.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
I fully get and understand the 'driver involvement'/fun aspect of manual transmissions, but the simple truth is that technology has moved past manual transmissions. I don't know if it's the natural resistance to change or something else (other than fun related to past experience), but DCT's, PDK's, etc. offer better performance, not the least being full time left foot braking.

Before you argue, there's still a manual in my garage, I do understand the fun aspect, but it's quickly becoming reminiscing and the more you apply yourself to the 'clutchless transmissions' there's plenty of fun left and plenty new to discover.
I will not disagree with what you are saying about the technology thats out there for automated manuals today. The f 10 M 5 was built for the DCT and it is a awesome transmission. Although when I test drove the DCT in may I was very impressed with the car but within 30 minutes I was becoming bored with the DCT. I later test drove virtually the same optioned M5 3 weeks later but with a 6 speed transmission and within 5 minutes I was sold and have not regretted my decision. Maybe it's because I grew up driving a 325is manual transmission and have owned various corvettes in manual transmissions. At one time I owned a 135 manual with dinan modifications and a 535 x drive with dinan modifications with the steptronic automated manual transmission, and the 535 sat in the garage most of the time. I guess I just really enjoy driving bmw manuals and I feel that the f 10 M 5 with 500 ft/lbs of torque goes very well with the six speed manual ( meaning I feel that the manual transmission compliments the cars massive torque curve). As far as it's smothness it reminds me alot of how the 135 manual performed, which to me was very smooth.

Last edited by FTC; 08-13-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Porsche and BMW guru

Quote:
I will not disagree with what you are saying about the technology thats out there for automated manuals today. The f 10 M 5 was built for the DCT and it is a awesome transmission. Although when I test drove the DCT in may I was very impressed with the car but within 30 minutes I was becoming bored with the DCT. I later test drove virtually the same optioned M5 3 weeks later but with a 6 speed transmission and within 5 minutes I was sold and have not regretted my decision. Maybe it's because I grew up driving a 325is manual transmission and have owned various corvettes in manual transmissions. At one time I owned a 135 manual with dinan modifications and a 535 x drive with dinan modifications with the steptronic automated manual transmission, and the 535 sat in the garage most of the time. I guess I just really enjoy driving bmw manuals and I feel that the f 10 M 5 with 500 ft/lbs of torque goes very well with the six speed manual ( meaning I feel that the manual transmission compliments the cars massive torque curve). As far as it's smothness it reminds me alot of how the 135 manual performed, which to me was very smooth.
I fear that as enthusiasts we do get stuck in the past hence why a lot of us are angry that everyone is moving away from the manual transmission. I personally grew up in a household where everything was manual. Even our big Chevy pick up truck was a manual (now there was a crap transmission).

That being said, for these cars (as you said it's a matter of opinion) DCT is the only way to go in my book. Were I to have my choice of cars in the driveway it would be a MINI JCW with manual and an M3 in DCT. Or JCW and 997 Turbo with PDK. At the end of the day you need to buy what makes you happy. I will always be a one manual household but that's since changed from a two manual household and probably will stay that way for some time.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I fear that as enthusiasts we do get stuck in the past hence why a lot of us are angry that everyone is moving away from the manual transmission. I personally grew up in a household where everything was manual. Even our big Chevy pick up truck was a manual (now there was a crap transmission).

That being said, for these cars (as you said it's a matter of opinion) DCT is the only way to go in my book. Were I to have my choice of cars in the driveway it would be a MINI JCW with manual and an M3 in DCT. Or JCW and 997 Turbo with PDK. At the end of the day you need to buy what makes you happy. I will always be a one manual household but that's since changed from a two manual household and probably will stay that way for some time.
I agree with everything your saying except " DCT is the only way to go ". For some people and I guess if you deal with alot of stop and go traffic, which we do not have up here in maine, but not for me. I do like your choice of cars in the driveway except my M3 would be a six speed manual.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Porsche and BMW guru

Quote:
I agree with everything your saying except " DCT is the only way to go ". For some people and I guess if you deal with alot of stop and go traffic, which we do not have up here in maine, but not for me. I do like your choice of cars in the driveway except my M3 would be a six speed manual.
To reveal a little bit of my nerdiness: only a Sith deals in absolutes...

So by my logic, I am a sith . Ultimately I tell all of my clients the same thing, this is my opinion but ultimately, do what makes you happy. Life is too short to drive a car that makes you unhappy or dissatisfied.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:

I agree with Steve. My m3 DCT is my first ever m car with a "auto" tranny even though it is not a real auto. I am a diehard 6MT guy and love them. However, the m3 and m5/m6 are best with the DCT. I have driven these cars with 6MT and DCT and DCT was the only way I would order my m3. The next car (m4/m5/m6) will be DCT also.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I agree with Steve. My m3 DCT is my first ever m car with a "auto" tranny even though it is not a real auto. I am a diehard 6MT guy and love them. However, the m3 and m5/m6 are best with the DCT. I have driven these cars with 6MT and DCT and DCT was the only way I would order my m3. The next car (m4/m5/m6) will be DCT also.
That being said it's a matter of personal preference. I test drove the dct before before I bought the six speed manual and within five minutes with the manual my mind was made up. For me the dct is boring and unengaging. The dct just felt artificial. I guess if I was doing 0-60 times five times per week I might think different, but for the pure driving experience it's manual for me. I also feel that manual makes you a better driver, more alert, you actually drive the car the car doesn't drive you.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Porsche and BMW guru

Quote:
That being said it's a matter of personal preference. I test drove the dct before before I bought the six speed manual and within five minutes with the manual my mind was made up. For me the dct is boring and unengaging. The dct just felt artificial. I guess if I was doing 0-60 times five times per week I might think different, but for the pure driving experience it's manual for me. I also feel that manual makes you a better driver, more alert, you actually drive the car the car doesn't drive you.

Sigh this argument will never be over