Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: Z3??
Questions about buying a 1999 M3

I'm looking at a silver 1999 BMW M3 convertible I found by owner. I'm curious to get some input on whether or not you guys think this is a decent deal.

It is very low miles with only 61k miles. However, it has a salvage title and was out of commission for a few years. It has had a couple of owners since then and the current owner doesn't know much about the wreck other than it was to the front end and all cosmetic. First of all, is that even possible that a few year old M3 would be considered totalled from a wreck that was only cosmetic?

It seems to be in pretty good shape. Some minor interior issues and a few dings on the exterior, but nothing bad for a 1999. He says he has not had any issues at all with the car and has changed the oil frequently and kept up very closely with all maintenance.

The price seems very reasonable given the concerns. I believe I can get the car for about $8500. Is this a too good to be true type situation? Do you think having a pre-purchase inspection would be enough to reveal any major concerns from the salvage title, or should I get away from this situation? I understand that BMW's aren't cheap to maintain and am completely willing to pay a little more in normal maintenance, but don't want to get involved with a money pit.
Ads by Google
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW 330i
Re: Questions about buying a 1999 M3

Money pit probably if you don't do most of the work yourself. Dealers charge a lot for labor . Parts are not really that expensive but higher then normal cars as you probably already know. Just giving you my situation thus far with my 04 330i had a year this month already have 3000k in parts.. complete cooling system overhaul was 1000 and I did the work myself however at the dealer twice that much I'd say. Most of the other cost comes from a part here and there. I replaced the valve cover and fuel pump a couple of weeks ago for a little under five hundred dollars. But BMWs are in a class of there on.I'm only 22 and haven't really driven anything much but I cant ever see me driving anything other then a BMW lol. Idk on my phone so can't see if you had or have a BMW currently but the amazing machines....as far as the price seems a bit high to me being it was wreaked at one point the miles are okay tho for that year that's real good. The M models are higher cost so maybe that's a good deal someone will give you their opinion . I'd shop around tho lots of good deals out there .

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW 330i
Re: Questions about buying a 1999 M3

I think I read that the wrong way the first time lol you mean money pit coz it was wreaked? If it was minor and only body and they repaired it no you shouldn't run into any problems due to that. I'd have it looked at just to make sure before it was bought.... hope I'm helping you lol or something haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Read this.

I wouldn't buy that car for $8500. Get it inspected by a local shop and then make your decision. Mine is technically salvage title but has been fairly well sorted long ago.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3, 1997 Dinan 328is
You should post your location, theres been some 99 bmw m3s vert around Oklahoma with salvage titles floating around that I would never touch
It has a salvage title for a reason and you wont know until you get it inspected by a quality bmw repair show... do that first and then go from there
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Cosmos E36 M3 Coupe
It could be a good deal but PPI is key, I had one done and even after literallly a month later the rad sprung a leak. I DIY so it cost me less than $300 to do myself but expect a shop to charge $700+ for parts and labor. I just got my 99 M back from the shop that needed a new bumper, hood, cooling system, engine/trans bushings, had some preventive maintenance done too. All in all the grand total was $8k, yeah I paid $7k cash for it in Orlando (flew from Philly picked up, drove back). It needed a headliner and door handle fixed but overall was damn good w 122k miles when I bought it. The work I just had done cost more than I paid, lol but insurance covered it. Just some food for thought about how much a shop can eat up in labor, I had roughly $3200 in parts and $45000 in labor +$600 for tax. This was at VAC who charges $100/hr vs the dealer @ $150/hr. DIY or forget an M3 unless you have deep pockets. GL!