Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545
bmwoem1 offers a great price on a tedious & time consuming service of a known problem with the N-62.

There is also the known issue of Carbon buildup in the Secondary Air Pump pipe.

These are 2 seperate problems. Look at the pics of the valve seals side by side with new & the issue is clear.

My problem is that I am never going to be anywhere close to NJ so for me the search goes on to find someone in my region to perform this service in my area.

Towards this end I had a nice email exchange with Christen of All German Auto. He has done Cylinder head on valve seal replacement with some success & is aware of the need. They have plans to mfgr. & sell some parts to help in this process but it will take time. It will still be a tedious technical & time consuming service & very much in line with the pricing our East Coast friend suggest.

Here is a link to a kit AGA has available for the issue HerbP keeps mentioning.

https://www.agacoolantpipe.com/produ...ry-air-cleaner

Last edited by Damon54; 08-21-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:34 AM

A. B. Able Truck,
Your contribution is not lost on me & I presume others as well.

If your method fixes the problem for enthusiast here then we should count our blessings & our saved dollars. That is clearly what makes sense to attempt first.

Sooner or later however an N62 requires Valve Seals.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
The secondary air issue is a separate repair. Typically we remove the heads to clean out every last bit of carbon. I'm currently working on a more cost effective repair that does not require removal of the heads. The cause for the blockage is due to the exhaust valve stem seals leaking oil down the back if the valve and carbonizing when it hits the relatively cooler air providing by the secondary air pump. I don't think the extended oil interval is the cause of the seal failure, I've done them on cars with as little as 45k miles.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If i am having an issue with secondary air to bank 2 what repairs are needed and what type of cost am i looking at?

CURRENT:
BMW 323i
BMW 645ci
Lexus SC 300
Ford F150
Dodge Ram
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
BMW Rookie

Mein Auto: 650i
In my opinion "All German Auto" are over kill on their parts.. I think any fabricator can sell it half price less.. Aside that stuff, BIG THANKS TO "bmwoem1" FOR SHARING THIS THREAD..
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Couple quick points Carrazco650i,

I am more impressed with the fact that AGA identified the Valley Pipe leak issue & made the first work around product than I am that somebody who was not involved in the development can produce a cheaper knock off.

In the case of their secondary air cleaning kit, all the parts are broken out for purchase separately. If your a gun owner, your cleaning kit may already have a bunch of the brushes, etc.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon54 View Post
A. B. Able Truck,
Your contribution is not lost on me & I presume others as well.
If your method fixes the problem for enthusiast here then we should count our blessings & our saved dollars. That is clearly what makes sense to attempt first.
Sooner or later however an N62 requires Valve Seals.
The fact that valve stem seals are being diagnosed as defective without consideration for the BMW documented cause for oil comsumption or the obvious signs that it is being sucked thru the cranckcase vent system is disturbing. Yes, eventually every engine reguardless of make or model will need valve stem seals. This is an illustration of the matural deformity a valve stem seal encounters when stretched over a valve stem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	392852

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/alb...?albumid=10119

Yes, after thousands of miles while exposed to high temperatures a used seal will tend to keep the expanded shape encountered while stretched over the stem as photographed on the previous post. I'll bet if you were to measure the valve stem and the used seal in the photo - the seal inside diameter would be smaller then the stem.

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 08-27-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
Valve stem seals done for $2500!

No point in arguing with him. I agree hearing about valve stem seals failing in this day and age is unheard off... But these engines run way hotter then any other engine.... Which = cooked seals... I think I just put him in the iggy list

When he ends up having his changed out we can feel bad for him too...

(I had 2 independent master bmw techs diagnose the same issue, valve seals, without bringing it up... So it is a well know problem across the N62 platform...)

Old 08-24-2013, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Yes all engines will need valve seals at some point.Just strange the behavior of these n62 smoking after idle.Most cars only do it on start up when valve seals are worn.This problem must be magnified on this valve train design.If I'm not mistaken it is the first of its kind.I had a 1973 Pontiac 455 that had no valve seals left AT ALL when I rebuilt and it didnt smoke like this after idle take off.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
I agree hearing about valve stem seals failing in this day and age is unheard off... But these engines run way hotter then any other engine.... Which = cooked seals...
As far back as I can remember - you had the option of thermostats that opened somewhere between 170 > 195 degrees. Most clean systems ran 190 to 195 because of the circulation (cooling) time in the radiator. If you had a older (dirty) cooling system, we would drop to a 170 > 175 degree. Some would pull the thermostat out - but then you ran the risk that the coolant didn't spend enough time in the radiator to transfer heat. Then came emission systems and output readings were affected by engine temperature. Many gauge systems may read 210 but it's normally due to the sensors proximity to the exhaust port. My N62TU has 2 cooling systems - a hot and a cold - yes this was new to me. These engines may run a little hotter - but our coolants, oils and rubber compounds are much better today. Remember they also use plastic valve covers and intake manifolds today.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 AM

By the way guys you might check out the thermostat threads on the e66 forums.Now a low temp tstat on eBay for n62,n62tu and n63.I modded my own to run 95c.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Yes all engines will need valve seals at some point.Just strange the behavior of these n62 smoking after idle.Most cars only do it on start up when valve seals are worn.This problem must be magnified on this valve train design.If I'm not mistaken it is the first of its kind.I had a 1973 Pontiac 455 that had no valve seals left AT ALL when I rebuilt and it didnt smoke like this after idle take off.
The 4 valve system has been used on several makes/models for years. The only "first of it's kind" is the valvetronic operation which varies the lift of the valve - the valves go up & down like any other engine.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Sure I know 4 valve operation WTF?.The new stuff is the valvetronic with intermediate levers.Also using valve lift for idle instead of an ICV or varying the throttle plate.Im not here for a knowledge war either but like I said BMW did some stuff here never done.

Last edited by dolfan13; 08-24-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
Quote:
For those who don't know me.... I'm a BMW master tech located in Long Island, NY who has helped out many forum members here in the past (just do a search and you'll find me). I've been seeing many posts about the common valve stem seal issue with the N62 and N62TU engine. Symptoms include excessive oil consumption and severe smoking from the tail pipe. I'm offering to complete the repair for $2500 total (parts and labor). This includes new valve cover gaskets, new upper timing case cover gaskets and valve stem seals of course. I would need 2 full days to complete the repair, I'm available on weekends (I work at the dealer during the week). Most dealers charge anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 to have this done, so here's your chance to save a ton of cash! I've had someone drive over 12 hrs to meet me and to have the repair done, it was well worth it for that customer. You guys can post here or PM me. I'm also a forum regional sponsor, so my contact info is located in the section of the forum. Thanks!
What engine does my 2012 X5 3.5i have? I enjoy reading your posts as I can tell you are a technically savvy guy. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52

N54 twin turbo 3.0L I-6

Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: .
$2,500 seems like a bargain for valve stem seals on a 4 cam engine. Just looking at the photos of the 7 he posted made me lightheaded, and I've done this repair on a few Hondas in my 20's.

You need to take deposits from customers and go on a small world-tour. Depending on overhead, a unique and in-demand skill like this would make for a profitable and memorable journey. It's more doable than you'd think.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
$2,500 seems like a bargain for valve stem seals on a 4 cam engine. Just looking at the photos of the 7 he posted made me lightheaded, and I've done this repair on a few Hondas in my 20's.

You need to take deposits from customers and go on a small world-tour. Depending on overhead, a unique and in-demand skill like this would make for a profitable and memorable journey. It's more doable than you'd think.
What a great idea... bmwoem- come on down to Nashville !

Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammodm View Post
What a great idea... bmwoem- come on down to Nashville !
It's clever how he can get his friends to bump his advertisements to the top of the list. (Notice the join to the forum dates) This could be a biweekly topic on every forum - you might as well make it a sticky.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3

Why do you think everything is a conspiracy?? I bet you believe in aliens too

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Why do you think everything is a conspiracy?? I bet you believe in aliens too
Cause you're not stupid. And it's a fact that there are aliens walking among us.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Regional Sponsor

Bump, I have a couple weekends open in October if anyone is interested

Old 09-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Bump, I have a couple weekends open in October if anyone is interested
I'd like to book those 2 weekends please - I'll drive out - so don't plan anything - maybe we can go fishing.

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 09-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM
BMW Rookie

Mein Auto: 650i
Bump on Craigslist please..lol jk This thread has been comical in all ways..Its got business, Education, and argumentative topics (Drama).
Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Scott545i

Quote:
For those who don't know me.... I'm a BMW master tech located in Long Island, NY who has helped out many forum members here in the past (just do a search and you'll find me). I've been seeing many posts about the common valve stem seal issue with the N62 and N62TU engine. Symptoms include excessive oil consumption and severe smoking from the tail pipe. I'm offering to complete the repair for $2500 total (parts and labor). This includes new valve cover gaskets, new upper timing case cover gaskets and valve stem seals of course. I would need 2 full days to complete the repair, I'm available on weekends (I work at the dealer during the week). Most dealers charge anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 to have this done, so here's your chance to save a ton of cash! I've had someone drive over 12 hrs to meet me and to have the repair done, it was well worth it for that customer. You guys can post here or PM me. I'm also a forum regional sponsor, so my contact info is located in the section of the forum. Thanks!
I took my 2004 545i to an independent shop and they're telling me that they have to drop the engine to replace the valve stem seals...is this true?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Regional Sponsor

No, the engine does not need to be removed to replace the seals

Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Scott545i

Thanks