Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
135i handling upgrades

Hi all,

I have a stock 2009 135i M Sport that my wife has authorized me to spend a couple grand on. I intend to go for some handling upgrades and was wondering what will produce the most noticeable change in the car's performance. It is a daily driver, but I'm looking at track capability for autocross and track days. When my current tires are done, I'll be getting new wheels and tires and going to a square setup to dial out some understeer. In the mean time I'm considering:

a) KW Variant 3 coilovers; or,
b) M3 Sway bars and front control arms

Any input or other suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers!
Ads by Google
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
When I was doing research on my car I ran into this very informative post that goes step by step about upgrades and how they affected the car:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477589

That's a second time I refer to 1addcits on these boards, but I think 1 series section on bimmerfest is not that active. I think it's a good read and should help you to make the decision.

On limited budget you have to make sure you get proper upgrades that compliment each other. Sway bar will help with understeer too. Narrower rear wheels might spin and it will be harder to put down that power on the road.

Are you getting dedicated set of wheels/tires for track/autocross days?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Thanks for the input. I just registered at 1addicts and will be cross-posting this there as well after I read what you posted, if its even required. I'll keep the stock wheels for racing more than likely. Or keep them on the car for daily driving and run some 17 x 8.5s and 245 treadwidth tires on the track. Haven't 100% decided the wheel/tire solution yet other than I know I need a bigger contact patch up front because the 1 under steers a bit from the factory, which is understandable from a mass market point of view.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM

The linked post should cover all bases. There are 2 more updates from the same poster regarding his auto-cross experience.

I doubt that 17" will clear the brake calipers on 135i. As for the wheels, poster mentioned that there one "go-to" wheel set for 135i. Things might have changed since his last post.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
135 Driver

Mein Auto: 135 Convertible
135i handling upgrades

You mention a need to cure under steer. I find that is not the case with my 2009 135i vert w/ M sport. I got mine used w/ factory run flats and it was neutral. I recently switched to Michelin Pilot's and with the softer sidewall I still have a quick turn in and neutral handling but now get more oversteer when I power out of a turn.

I have not experienced any understeer at all with either set up... Not even in the rain.

Do other people experience neutral to oversteer like me, or is understeer an issue for some?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
I need more track experience, however on my first road event with the 135i the understeer wasn't that noticeable - not compared to my previous FWD and AWD cars anyway. With the huge amount of torque coming from the back, there was a tendency to overdrive the front end grip but at my skill level it wasn't a limiting factor.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP3 View Post
You mention a need to cure under steer. I find that is not the case with my 2009 135i vert w/ M sport. I got mine used w/ factory run flats and it was neutral. I recently switched to Michelin Pilot's and with the softer sidewall I still have a quick turn in and neutral handling but now get more oversteer when I power out of a turn.

I have not experienced any understeer at all with either set up... Not even in the rain.

Do other people experience neutral to oversteer like me, or is understeer an issue for some?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Understeer comes into play mostly during autocross events and during track days (not so evident if you don't push the car too much).

Watch some videos of stock 135i on autocross events, understeer is pretty bad to the point where car is not competitive in stock form vs typical autocross cars.

It is there on purpose (as opposed to FWD car with heavy nose, where it's hard to dial it out), since it's not an "M" car and suspension is tuned for road use where understeer is preferred. It is dialed out by installing some front M3 suspension bits and introducing more negative camber with wider front tires.

Understeer is nowhere near as bad as in typical FWD car with 60%+ of weight up front.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 128 convertible
I don't know about the 135, but I put H&R sway bars on my E36 328 and it made a world of difference. Improved the handling and response time drastically. The E36 tends to oversteer but after the H&R it was completely neutral, so much so that I could slide with all four wheels perfectly balanced. My vote for a huge improvement for minimal cost is sway bars.

Last edited by Liquidsunshine; 09-27-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM
AutobahnBMWParts.com

Mein Auto: 2008 535i Sport Package
do coilovers and sway bars, stiffen up the coilovers. Get aftermarket end links and adjustable sway bars and put the sway bars at the stiffest setting.