Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 650i
call your dealer for the battery cable recall. give them your vin and they will tell you what recalls your car has. our cars have lots of recalls they replaced my positive terminal cable to my bme for free

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...6-series-9.htm

Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_500 View Post
So... i noticed a message on the iDrive - "increased battery discharge".
Ive charged the battery on a slow charge for 2 days. The charger indicates the battery is charged, i try to start the car. exactly the same issue no difference at all.

I'm thinking a few options now.
Perhaps my battery is screwed and needs replacing.
Battery is fine but a sensor somewhere is faulty telling the car it has charge issues
Something is draining the battery.

The fact this happened within a few hour of the car being absolutely fine still baffles me.

Any ideas guys?

Much appreciated.
Having same problem car won't start but I hv a new battery
Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
You cannot repeatedly start the car without charging the battery or it will run down very quickly. Starting the car is a MASSIVE drain on the battery.
Hello Yorgi, are you certain that the battery is drained that much when the engine starts? In other thread I read that if that would be so the new "start/stop" systems used in modern bimmers would be pointless.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooK77 View Post
Hello Yorgi, are you certain that the battery is drained that much when the engine starts? In other thread I read that if that would be so the new "start/stop" systems used in modern bimmers would be pointless.
Most engines require 300-600 amps during startup. To give you an idea of the magnitude - 600A at 12V is more than half the power you can get out of an entire house fuse panel (100A at 120V) Note how thick a battery cable is.

I have not looked into what BMW and others are doing to handle the issue of battery drain on these automatic start/stop systems. I would guess they are either installing massive batteries, very large alternators for faster recharging, or have developed super efficient starters that require less current compared to what was normally used. I could also see them using big capacitors to help with starting.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 645i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Most engines require 300-600 amps during startup. To give you an idea of the magnitude - 600A at 12V is more than half the power you can get out of an entire house fuse panel (100A at 120V) Note how thick a battery cable is.

I have not looked into what BMW and others are doing to handle the issue of battery drain on these automatic start/stop systems. I would guess they are either installing massive batteries, very large alternators for faster recharging, or have developed super efficient starters that require less current compared to what was normally used. I could also see them using big capacitors to help with starting.
Wow... that is a lot of power.

Modern BMWs are using brake energy regeneration systems (see this image).

Not sure about other manufacturers.