Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Vanessa Graw

Mein Auto: BMW 645
Breaks/Rotors question

I need new pads and rotors, Ive gone through 2 sets of pads in 1 year (both front and back). I dont drive alot, so I know the mechanics are putting in the worse pads that dont last. They quoted me $350 for new pads and rotors this time around. I just replaced my rotors less then 2 years ago too. Some of this work is done by the dealership and some not. Ive spent thousands of $'s on my car this year already.

My friend has a mechanic thats been working on his cars for a while and does a great job. You buy the parts and bring them to him and he does the work, so you know what your getting. You basically pay the same price a different mechanic would charge you but are getting the best parts.

So my question is, can anyone suggest the best pads and rotors? Decently priced & whatnot.
22" wheels, not sure if that matters.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
I used Akibono ceramics to cut back on the break dust with Zimmerman rotors (to cut cost). I like them quite a bit. Yorgi has a great break DIY that he makes some recommendations in.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 08-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
As Mulchman says, Yorgi has some great advice for pads. Since he is a guy who tracks cars his recommendations are excellent and outline what you need depending on what you are looking for:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=brake+pads

Here are some other search results, there is a lot to read if you just keep searching, personally I do not have any input since I have had the same set of pads and rotors for the last 25,000 miles and 4 years:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...rchid=21094720
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Vanessa Graw

Awesome, I have alot to read. Ill be back in a day or 2 hopefully with no more questions. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Ask away, everyone will be glad to help!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Breaks/Rotors question

+1 for Mulchman.

Akebono brake pads are an excellent choice!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
I use EBC red stuff for my brakes.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
If you do not drive aggressively or if you want zero brake dust the I would recommend Akebono pads. Here are some of my recommendations...

Pads:
Akebono - zero dust, great price, slightly less braking power compared to OEM ($85 + $71)
StopTech Street Performance - very low dust, great price, similar braking power to OEM, much higher max temp before fade compared to OEM ($90 + $70)
OEM - very dusty, OK price, very good cold and hot bite ($119 + $107)
Hawk HPS - medium dust, good price, almost race pad stopping performance - more bite than OEM ($109 + $100)

Rotors:
OEM - the best by far but not cheap - $175 x2 + $143 x2
StopTech Cryo treated - next best after OEM (cryo will last longer) - $104 x2 + $98 x2
StopTech standard - will not last as long as cryo but cost less - $84 x2 + $78 x2
Centric - made by parent company of StopTech - better than other no-name budget rotors - $80 x2 + $71 x2

All of these parts can be bought from Tirerack. OEM pad prices are from Tischer - getbmwparts.com

I would look into why you are going though pads and rotors so rapidly considering you do low mileage. You either have a problem with your calipers sticking or your driving style is burning up the brakes (ie braking too early and not braking hard enough) Rotors should last for two sets of pads and pads should last 3+ years minimum if you are doing low mileage.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 08-27-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Vanessa Graw

Hey guys thanks so much for all the brake advice. I took some of it and purchased the akebono front brake pads. Soooo I picked them up today (from Pep Boys) and inside of the box is 4. Did they make a mistake and just toss some rear pads in there too? Which ones are the front ones? I took a photo of each one (front and back).
Any help would be great.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 650I cabrio
Two pads per wheel. Did you buy a new brake sensor? If it is not worn through, getting the old one out and re-using it is possible if you are careful. Spray some lubricant like WD40 on the sensor clip that is on the old pad and see it it will wiggle free. Follow Yorgi's PDF step by step and you will be proud of yourself when it is done.
Have fun

Last edited by ttuite; 08-31-2013 at 04:19 PM.