Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by boesman10 View Post
Haha. That is funny!! Beer is always welcome...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

I haven't had to use this yet but every guy I have met who also has a 6er Vert I tell them about it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
07 650i Convertible Top Unlocked Alarm Problem

Just picked up mine from the dealer. They replaced a few sensors. Lets see if this stops...

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe

Seems like BMW should go register "bosemanpush.com" and point it at the fest page as a public service!

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW645CI
2004 645CI Soft Top Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boesman10 View Post
I live in FL and with the summer heat kicking in I have had this issue now a few times over the past few months (just got my '07 650i Convertible 5 months ago).
I have read many threads and info from other places, and found a workaround for this issue that I have not seen posted anywhere else (at least it works for me).
I've had this happen to me just this morning again (car was parked in the airport garage for a week, and after taking the red-eye back from San Francisco, I could not open the trunk, and noticed the "red convertible top blinking light" problem - last thing you want at 7am after an overnight flight.

So I did what I've now sucessfully done over the past month when this happened, the the light stops blinking right away, and things are back to normal.

So this is what I do (old school):

There's a bar (not the kind you're thinking about) with an elbow that runs behind the canvas in the back pivot point in the convertible top (forgive me - I don't know the technical terms), but the first pic shows what this looks like on the drivers side. I have drawn the approx location of where this bar lies with a red dot indicating the pivot point where the faulty sensor lies.

All I do when I run into this problem is to apply a little pressue to that pivot point with my hand (as indicated by the red dot in the pic) and the red blinking light stops blinking, and things are back to normal (shown in the second attachhment). I normally push the pivot point down towards the body of the car - not a lot of pressure is needed at all. To quantify, if you press hard enough to break an egg, it's to hard. All it needs is a gentle nudge for the sensor to engage (is my guess).

I'm assuming in my case the problem lies with the sensor on the driver side, because I never had to do this on the passenger side, but it may be that in some cases one will have to do this on the passenger side as opposed to the driver side (as shown in the third attachment).

Let me know if this helps anyone else.

This works fine for me, so I'm not planning on taking the car in for this to be fixed, since it does not look as if the successrate in addressing this is that high (and I can't do without the car for two days, and it's out of warrantee anyway).

Thank you so much!! After weeks of the blinking light this did the job FANTASTIC!!
(now I've got the bubble mirror issue !!!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 AM
645ci Vert

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci Convertible
Thank boesman10 this worked

Hi I really wanna say a massive THANK YOU to boesman10

i had this problem today where it kept showing soft top not locked!! Went to the stealers and they said yeah we have to take the hood off and replace this this and this!!! Straight away i could see in their so called "master technicians" eyes!!! Asked if this was a common problem and he denied ever hearing of such a problem!!!

I thought let me have a dig around the internet and found hundreds of posts about this where people have spent fortunes getting this rectified some to no avail at all!!

Then i read this post and thought what the hell lets give it a go!! Low and behold all i did was brush my hand where boesman10 said the sensor was and immediately the red warning light went away.... tested the hood and now its fully working!!!

boesman10 you are a LEGEND!! Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvador78 View Post
Asked if this was a common problem and he denied ever hearing of such a problem!!!

boesman10 you are a LEGEND!! Thanks
The Service Adviser gave me the same line, "I have never seen this happen before" while I am reading numerous posts from folks in Florida who have had this issue. I don't buy it!

And yes, Boesman10 is LEGENDARY!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 650i convertiable
Convertiable

WOW Just had the LOCK DOWN problem Fortunately no rain Got up earlier next day to take the car to dealer and back to normal. Read this site which now aleast helps me understand Thanks all
Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645, BMW X5
boesman10, You're going to be famous in sweden also!
Had the problem solved by the solution provided by you earlier today. My 6:er is
in winter storage right now, went out to the garage and magic! really happy now! Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI

Dealer replaced my sensors under CPO. Haven't seen the problem since.

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
I am just in Love and about to plunge into buying 2006 650i with 150k miles on the odo. Top issues is a problem. Someone posted on this site that BMWs are built to last for 150k. I can't believe that because i have an 07 328xi with 300k miles, very clean and everything works perfectly.
Still love this 6xer, and will likely buy regardless.$24k.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
In the market for a 6er and was ready to look exclusively at coupes until Boesmans fix. My first bimmer was a vert (e30) and I miss the feeling!! Anyone carry some type of stick/item to reach back and Boesman? Yes, I just used it as a verb. Also, it seems that the sensor shave fix is only a permanent fix on 08s+? Anyone Boesmaning have any issues where the top was stuck in a position where you can't reach the angle sensor and Boesman that b****?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBaron View Post
In the market for a 6er and was ready to look exclusively at coupes until Boesmans fix. My first bimmer was a vert (e30) and I miss the feeling!! Anyone carry some type of stick/item to reach back and Boesman? Yes, I just used it as a verb. Also, it seems that the sensor shave fix is only a permanent fix on 08s+? Anyone Boesmaning have any issues where the top was stuck in a position where you can't reach the angle sensor and Boesman that b****?
I have used the Boesman fix with success several times in 3.5 years of ownership, but stick not necessary as it is fairly easy to reach. Top never got stuck partway, so boesman fix always applied and worked with the top closed (sometimes with windows down halfway though). Dealer adjusted/tweaked/replaced sensors a couple of times under CPO.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBaron View Post
I have an 07 that I bought over 2 years ago. I have had the top up and down hundreds of times and never an issue. In the history for service there is no top repair reports form any dealer on the car so as far as I can see the '07 is fine too.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 01-22-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I guess, like many bimmers, you gotta buy and cross your fingers
If only every annoying fix had a Boesman...or if women had a special point to Boesman. Oh wait....
"My wife was yelling but then I boesman'd her"
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: '07 BMW 650i Convertible
I thought I replied to this post, but it may have been another post with the same problem. Either way, my '07 vert had the same problem. It started in 09 I believe, but the problem remained until2012. I bought the car and lived in Germany and they couldn't fix the problem. I moved to Holland and they couldn't fix the problem either. When they attempted to fix it, seems it was only temporary (2-3 months) then the same problem; windows locked, "top not locked" error. BUT, When I moved to Seoul...THE KOREANS FIXED IT. The engineer there told me that the top would shift little by little sometimes when the car moves (i.e. take off and braking). They welded the vert top to the bodyframe (somehow) in order to keep the top from shifting. The smallest amount of movement will make the sensor give that error. I have not had that problem since 2012. Everytime I took my car to the dealership they would replace the sensors all around the car. They even replaced the back window once. No money outta MY pocket so I didn't mind.....I have pics, but I'm currently in Kuwait til the summer....
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasheit View Post
...THE KOREANS FIXED IT. The engineer there told me that the top would shift little by little sometimes when the car moves (i.e. take off and braking). They welded the vert top to the bodyframe (somehow) in order to keep the top from shifting. The smallest amount of movement will make the sensor give that error.....
Wow that is interesting and the first time I have heard this as a potential cause. It does make sense though, maybe even more so than the theory that changes in temperature shifts the frame and causes the sensor problems.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
Thank you Boesman!! Just had this occur for me this morning and giving the "push" on the passenger side sensor worked!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgrady01 View Post
Thank you Boesman!! Just had this occur for me this morning and giving the "push" on the passenger side sensor worked!
Are you sure it was the passenger side that you pushed on? The sensors are located on the drivers side only. It would be an interesting thing to note if pushing on the passenger side also works for some people.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Are you sure it was the passenger side that you pushed on? The sensors are located on the drivers side only. It would be an interesting thing to note if pushing on the passenger side also works for some people.
It will be very interesting if this did really work.

The "Boseman Placebo"?

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Absolutely positive. I tried the driver's side and no luck with the alarm clearing. The moment I pushed on the passenger side, alarm cleared and I was able to move the top.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Now looking at the diagram makes me believe it was pure luck that it worked pushing on the passenger side. I'll keep a closer eye on what happens next time, and with the way the top has been behaving lately, that will be sooner not later...
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM

You are shifting the frame when you do the push so I can believe pushing on the passenger side will shift the entire frame enough to help align the sensor on the driver's side. At least we now know to try both sides if the driver's side does not work.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM

It worked again this afternoon. At this frequency, I may be doing the sensor alignment procedure prescribed for cars built prior to 08/2005. Mine had a build date of 06/2005. Knock on wood, until this started, only minor issues with temperamental beast.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: '07 BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Wow that is interesting and the first time I have heard this as a potential cause. It does make sense though, maybe even more so than the theory that changes in temperature shifts the frame and causes the sensor problems.
Yorgi, I was on this post back in '09 and I was also convinced that it was the temperature, being that it only happened in the summer time....until it happend in the winter time...Then the fall. The Techs in Europe kept saying the temperature had NOTHING to do with it; And so said the Techs in Korea. The Koreans pulled the car data from Europe and they went through the procedure of replacing the sensors again (still under warranty) and also removing the top completely a few times. Not sure what light buld came on, but their Engineer figured it out......and I've been happy ever since.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Convertible Top Unlocked Alarm Problem

Are there any other things I can try to fix this issue?
Couple days ago I have purchased convertible 645 and on the way hope the light went on, when I was purchasing this car I checked the top, it opened and closed with no problem.
I have spent couple hours reading all posts and at least an hour trying to locate the sensor / pushing on anything possible in the pivot point area (driver side) and nothing seems to work.
Please let me know if there are any other solutions to this problem or how do I find the right part to push.
I'm so disappointed that I have purchased this nice car for lots of money but haven't had a chance to drive it with my top down.
Also does anyone know if BMW ever issued a Recall due to this problem?