Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
TSB= technical service bulletin
Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The TSB is 12-04-12. Here is what it reads:

SUBJECT
N55: Idle Fluctuates Briefly After a Cold Engine Start
MODEL
E70, E71 with the N55 engine from 4/2010 (SOP) to 10/2011
F07 with the N55 engine from 3/2010 (SOP) to 12/2011
F10, F12, and F13 with the N55 engine from 3/2010 (SOP) to 12/2011
F25 with the N55 engine from 7/2010 (SOP) to 12/2011
SITUATION
Under certain engine cold starts, the engine idle may fluctuate during the first 10-20 seconds of operation before
becoming stable.
No faults will be stored in this situation, which will usually only occur at specific engine temperatures, making
it difficult to reproduce in the workshop.
CAUSE
Unfavorable DME software calibration
CORRECTION
Program the vehicle using the most current version of ISTA/P.
The corrected DME calibration was introduced as listed below:
E70, E71 N55 E070-11-09-505
F07 N55 F001-11-09-507
F10, F12, F13 N55 F010-11-09-507
F25 N55 F025-11-09-507
Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the
latest software.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Hey Knox, I'm glad the brakes appear to be working better now.... perhaps the pads are seated with the rotors.

A TSB is a technical service bulletin and they can be found here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

There is nothing on 2013 models but 2012 have some results.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Surging Forward with Foot on Brake 535xi 2008

OK I know a few will bash me about placement of the foot on both the brake and accelerator petal, but it has happened to me three times since I bought my car in Aug 2012.

Each time I was slowing down behind a car approaching a stoplight. This last time the car surged so hard that all the packages on the front seat hit the floor when I hit the brakes hard. The first time it happended I hit the stop button and braked. The 2nd and 3rd time the engine went to idle within a second as the excellent brakes and my quick response stoped forward movement avoiding collisions.

This third time I know for sure my foot was well placed on brake. I am wondering if the ECU is doing something funky with the throttle or if turbo malfunction is ramping up RPMs.

Any suggestions on what to do please for this new owner of a truely awesome car.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Steel View Post
OK I know a few will bash me about placement of the foot on both the brake and accelerator petal, but it has happened to me three times since I bought my car in Aug 2012.

Each time I was slowing down behind a car approaching a stoplight. This last time the car surged so hard that all the packages on the front seat hit the floor when I hit the brakes hard. The first time it happended I hit the stop button and braked. The 2nd and 3rd time the engine went to idle within a second as the excellent brakes and my quick response stoped forward movement avoiding collisions.

This third time I know for sure my foot was well placed on brake. I am wondering if the ECU is doing something funky with the throttle or if turbo malfunction is ramping up RPMs.

Any suggestions on what to do please for this new owner of a truely awesome car.
2008 535xi? Wrong forum? Try dealer service?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: X%
Brake issue on my X5

I have a large number of issues with my X5 but this week experienced the issue of the engine revving and moving forward while my foot was firmly on the brake. I happened to be at the drop off line at my son's school and luckily no one was injured. This is my third X5 and my foot was solely on the brake and it was firmly down. The dealer has no idea why this happened but did tell me they had a car in with a similar incident a few weeks prior and that person had ended up rear ending another car.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5leaser View Post
I have a large number of issues with my X5 but this week experienced the issue of the engine revving and moving forward while my foot was firmly on the brake. I happened to be at the drop off line at my son's school and luckily no one was injured. This is my third X5 and my foot was solely on the brake and it was firmly down. The dealer has no idea why this happened but did tell me they had a car in with a similar incident a few weeks prior and that person had ended up rear ending another car.
You posted this on the current generation X3 forum. You may want to post this over on the X5 forum here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
You posted this on the current generation X3 forum. You may want to post this over on the X5 forum here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159
I hate to seem simplistic, but I had the same problem when I wore work boots and it never happens when I wear dress shoes or tennis shoes.

Seriously consider that your foot is too big and hitting both the accelerator and brake at the same time.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x-3
I have a similar issue

I am having a similar issue with my 2013 X-3. Twice I have slowed for a stop light, only to have reduced braking power and then a surge of acceleration. The engineer for BMW of North America has inspected the car and they tell me they cannot find anything wrong. I totally understand what knoxvolgirl is saying. I can press as hard as I can on the brake and I can tell that it is just not going to completely stop and then I have a surge. I hit a car stopped at a red light one day because of this and the other time I sailed into an intersection...luckily noone was coming and I was able to turn into the street and stop.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: X6
I have an 2011 X6 and I am a healthy 39 year old male and I am a licensed single engine pilot with over a 1000 hours. I use only my right leg to drive alternating like we all were trained to do. I say all this to prevent or avoid assumptions of driver error. When coming to a stop with my foot on the brake right at the very end when the car just comes to a stop my 2011 X6 will all of a sudden jerk forward trying to accelerate. The problem is intermittent but every time it happens my heart skips a beat. The motor revs and then idols and then revs and idols. Once the car is completely stopped and the auto-brake is set, the rev comes and I have to mash on the brake to prevent the car from hitting the car in front of me. After reading other posts of similar problems I now can at least convince the BMW dealer that there is indeed an issue. My wife has had the same experience with the car and will not drive it anymore. We have owned the Lexus LS 460, Porsche cayenne, Audi Q7 and the X5; never had this problem. I hope BMW decides to take this seriously before someone hits a pedestrian in a cross walk which almost happened with me.

Last edited by 2011 BMW X6; 08-28-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM

It would be good to capture such an event on a GoPro camera or cell phone for video evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 BMW X6 View Post
I have an 2011 X6 and I am a healthy 39 year old male and I am a licensed single engine pilot with over a 1000 hours. I use only my right leg to drive alternating like we all were trained to do. I say all this to prevent or avoid assumptions of driver error. When coming to a stop with my foot on the brake right at the very end when the car just comes to a stop my 2011 X6 will all of a sudden jerk forward trying to accelerate. The problem is intermittent but every time it happens my heart skips a beat. The motor revs and then idols and then revs and idols. Once the car is completely stopped and the auto-brake is set, the rev comes and I have to mash on the brake to prevent the car from hitting the car in front of me. After reading other posts of similar problems I now can at least convince the BMW dealer that there is indeed an issue. My wife has had the same experience with the car and will not drive it anymore. We have owned the Lexus LS 460, Porsche cayenne, Audi Q7 and the X5; never had this problem. I hope BMW decides to take this seriously before someone hits a pedestrian in a cross walk which almost happened with me.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x-3
Thanks 2011 BMW X6 for your reply. You are describing exactly my experience. I too use one foot for braking and accelerating and I have been very vigilant lately to watch my foot placement. I have found that there is no physical way that my foot can press on the accelerator and brake at the same time. And for all of those who suggest that is the issue, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth when you also post that that the BMW brake system can always override the accelerator. If that is the case, does not make sense that this is driver error. I am in the process of trading my car.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan View Post
Thanks 2011 BMW X6 for your reply. You are describing exactly my experience. I too use one foot for braking and accelerating and I have been very vigilant lately to watch my foot placement. I have found that there is no physical way that my foot can press on the accelerator and brake at the same time. And for all of those who suggest that is the issue, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth when you also post that that the BMW brake system can always override the accelerator. If that is the case, does not make sense that this is driver error. I am in the process of trading my car.
What vehicle did you decide to trade it in on?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If the engine surge after you step on the brake pedal harder, it usually means that you are stepping on both pedals at the same time. Thats not to say there is not a isolated problem with the car. This day and age, there is way too many computers and sensors controlling the throttle. BMW have had the brake override system in their car for years. As we all learn for the Toyota sudden accelaration fiasco, the best thing to do in this situation is to put the car into neutral.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White F25 35i
I've felt mild surges in my F25, but nothing near as dramatic as others are experiencing, which leads me to believe mine is unrelated.

Mine always happens towards the very end of a stop, probably during the 3-2 or 2-1 downshift. If anyone has driven a manual and been a little too enthusiastic with a heel-toe rev-matched downshift, it feels almost exactly like that kind of a surge... completely absorbed in less than half a second, and I've never felt worried about the ability to come to a full stop. It feels a bit weird and disturbing though. Not sure whether to have it looked at (especially since it's impossible to reproduce on demand).
Old 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM

The surge you might notice is the "rev-matching" when manually gearing down... that's normal. When the transmission is in DS mode you'll notice earlier gear down (engine braking) without the surge when coming to a stop.

If the auto box is left in automatic you shouldn't feel anything.

If you engage "auto hold" the brakes are applied as soon as the car comes to a stop and the car will not move unless you physically step on the gas pedal.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
If you are not into the mechanical side of things, you would probably never know what a TSB is.....most people don't, and you don't sound stupid! A TSB is a service bulletin, normally put out by the auto manufacturer to inform the service departments about problems and fixes for issues that arise on their cars. Hence "Technical Service Bulletin".

Last edited by kpe42; 09-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White F25 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
The surge you might notice is the "rev-matching" when manually gearing down... that's normal. When the transmission is in DS mode you'll notice earlier gear down (engine braking) without the surge when coming to a stop.

If the auto box is left in automatic you shouldn't feel anything.

If you engage "auto hold" the brakes are applied as soon as the car comes to a stop and the car will not move unless you physically step on the gas pedal.
The "surge" I've experienced has only ever happened in D.

When I do manually downshift (which is very rare), I know exactly what to expect ... an increase in RPM and engine braking. In any case, whether in DS, D, or manual, the car should never accelerate or surge forward while decelerating, but it's happened a few times.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I am thinking that there might be some transmission related problem. Usually, when you brake to slow down, the transmission downshifts to aid in slowing down. However, if there is a rev matching blip going on automatically, it is possible that that is not functioning correctly during a braking downshift.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvolgirl View Post
I just purchased a beautiful 2013 silver x3 35i m sport last weekend. It's gorgeous. It now has about 140 miles on it. Twice when breaking slowly (in a parting lot) to stop, the car/engine has continued to try to accelerate. To the point I was basically standing on the break and it was still creeping forward. The first time, to avoid crashing into the building in front to me, I punched the start/stop button to turn the car off. The second time, the car moved forward to where I had to pull into traffic quite dangerously. The floor mat was not obstructing the gas pedal etc. so that's not an issue. The dealer now has it back to investigate. Any thoughts? Never experienced anything like this before. Thanks.
ok this just happened to me and my car went through the garage and back of house. no it is not a human error it is the car!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Angry

Quote:
Reports of unintended acceleration are typically driver error.

The car will not accelerate in neutral. Pressing the gear selector forward (while in drive) will stop any forward motion.

I'd suggest knoxvolgirl practice moving the gear indicator forward into neutral from drive.

Also... just press the brake pedal it will stop the car.

no it is he car not the driver. this is a case by case basis . educate yourself before you respond with an ignorant uneducated response
Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It would be good to capture such an event on a GoPro camera or cell phone for video evidence.
yes bmw has a problem but not admitting it. this is scary until someone dies then something maybe done to prevent future loss of life
Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Engine acceleration when braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by consuelaramirez View Post
ok this just happened to me and my car went through the garage and back of house. no it is not a human error it is the car!
Sorry to hear this happen to you. I'm guessing everyone is ok? How badly damaged is the house and car? Post up pics! You will get a lot more response if you have pictures to prove this did indeed happen. I'm sure you took pictures for your insurance

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
knoxvolgirl,

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you have a great dealer/service department! Wonder if the braking changed because the other drivers used them harder. Sometimes hard brake use may effectively clean the discs and wear the pads a bit, resulting in better brake pad-to-disc contact and more responsive brakes. For the same reason, new car brakes are usually not as responsive as cars with a few miles on them. Under normal conditions, it takes a few hundred miles to "bed" them in.

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. I think these are issued by the manufacturers so may be voluntary or as a result of action by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (see www.nthsa.gov). Other countries have similar organizations and similar notification systems. In addition to the NTHSA site, there are other web sites offering some TSB info. They are not always very easy to read but the dealers are very aware of them.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by consuelaramirez View Post
yes bmw has a problem but not admitting it. this is scary until someone dies then something maybe done to prevent future loss of life
Hummm, you have 3 post and all 3 post are here on the X3 forum but you owned a 1 series, one would think you would post your incident on the 1 series forum first.