Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
New Member who needs buying advice for 645

Hello all

Currently I own a 2005 Range Rover that has pissed me off for the last time lol

I have always wanted a 645ci and now is the time for me to have my machine. There are a few things I want to ask from you guys.

Is the manual tranny better built with less issues than the automatic? ( I would rather the manual )

Are there issues with the convertible mechanics acting up?

Does anyone offer a diagnostic tool that I could interface the car via laptop rather than going to the dealer? I rather work on my own cars for my own pleasure

I have been a member on other forums for most of the cars I have owned but today I am just lazy so no search button for me ( sorry )

Thanks in advance

Cory
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
New Member who needs buying advice for 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXJ View Post
Hello all

Currently I own a 2005 Range Rover that has pissed me off for the last time lol

I have always wanted a 645ci and now is the time for me to have my machine. There are a few things I want to ask from you guys.

Is the manual tranny better built with less issues than the automatic? ( I would rather the manual )

Are there issues with the convertible mechanics acting up?

Does anyone offer a diagnostic tool that I could interface the car via laptop rather than going to the dealer? I rather work on my own cars for my own pleasure

I have been a member on other forums for most of the cars I have owned but today I am just lazy so no search button for me ( sorry )

Thanks in advance

Cory
Hi there! The 645Ci is an excellent choice. With regards to the transmission, the manual gearbox is more durable in the long run compared to the automatic as you do not need to worry about the plastic AT oil pan and the Mechatronics sleeve which are common cause for leaks. Plus, the MT oil pan is made of metal

As for the convertible top, most owners do have some issues with the top not closing. That is why I picked the coupe over the convertible. Some convertible owners will chime in on this.

In regards to diagnostics, some members will be able to point in the right direction.

Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Full diagnostics and coding software available. Check eBay for BMW OBD.

Then go see bmwcoding.com, bmwforums.com (coding/diagnostic area), M5board.com (M6 area) and the coding thread in this forum...I think started by TampaMark.

The programs you are looking for are : DIS, SSS, ETK, TIS, INPA and NCS Expert (among others). The level of DIY available for our cars will probably keep me in Bimmers the rest of my life.

Good luck. I love my 6!

FYI - The software setup is a bitch. Plan on doing a lot of reading and searching if you go down that path.
HUD, Comfort Access

Last edited by Mulchman; 08-27-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the quick and friendly replies. I really expected one or two members to say use the search button...

I have been browsing these bmw forums from time to time because my range rover has the same motor as the 645ci series. The motor is pretty much bullet proof but most times the motor to transmission always fails as a match in heaven with usually the transmission being the weaker link to the couple.

Its also great to hear that the manual is more likely the better transmission over the auto. I really was less interested in the convertible just because I am not really into having one even though they are nice as well but being a mechanical engineer I know gears , motors and sensors all wear and more than likely they are probably made out of plastic due to poor engineering or design driven by low production cost to higher product return. The Range Rover is a perfect example of this.

Thanks for all the information you guys have provided thus far. I will do my fair share of reading to bring myself up to date on smaller issues and DIY fixes. I am just glad to hear that me going from a Land Rover to a BMW 6 series is a relief. I really really really need it lol

Thanks

Cory
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Good morning Cory,

My name is Matt and Im with Wholesale car club. It would be my pleasure to find you a 645ci dream machine. At your convenience please visit www.wcarclub.com and check the website. This will give you an idea of how our fully transparent business model will get you the best possible price. Additionally, I'm available to answer any questions you may have.

Matt
Wholesale Car Club
352-317-4013
matt@wcarclub.com
Old 08-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Re: New Member who needs buying advice for 645

I'm selling my 2007 650I manual if interested, PM me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by IL_BMW_650; 08-27-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Here is a good thread with a bunch of problem areas listed.

These are not all 100% likely to happen. So far my '06 has been bulletproof. The top issue is related to a sensor in the frame, not the actual hydraulics that open/close the top.

The manual trany is rock solid.

The great thing about BMWs is you can get your hands on the actual software used by dealers to diagnose and program the car. Tricky to get working but there are some vendors out there that sell kits with a cable and software to make it easier. Check out the top of the DIY programming thread for a link to the vendor.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Thanks Yorgi

I have been reading various threads on water leaking into the rear and causing issues with the convertibles as well as the SMG trans issues

I will stick with my choice of a hard top and manual transmission.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 AM

Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Thanks Yorgi

I have been reading various threads on water leaking into the rear and causing issues with the convertibles as well as the SMG trans issues

I will stick with my choice of a hard top and manual transmission.
The flooded trunk is not so problematic to all convertibles, just when it happens it is so ugly the few it does happen to get a lot of traction on the board.

If you check the drains every once and a while you are good.

Oh yeah, use the Search function, this has been discussed. Since you said you expected to hear that I did not want to disappoint!

Last edited by tampamark; 08-28-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
The flooded trunk is not so problematic to all convertibles, just when it happens it is so ugly the few it does happen to get a lot of traction on the board.

If you check the drains every once and a while you are good.

Oh yeah, use the Search function, this has been discussed. Since you said you expected to hear that I did not want to disappoint!
Too funny

I am going to head with a hard top. I have dealt with more than enough with the Range Rover. I still can not get over the fact that a low battery can have you chasing all sorts of error messages and I really hope BMW has not gone with a liquid cooled alternator like what is installed on the Range Rover. I say this because I have the same bmw motor in my truck. In the spring my water pump went out , seized the belt pulley , snapped the belt which cut all my coolant hoses like a whip with a blade. The further damage was that the water pump has plastic fans catches that crumbled sending small fragments into that beautiful liquid cooled alternator which crapped that out as well. Happy happy joy joy with a stick straight up the rear of me. The bastard didn't even spit on it lol

I did all the work myself but I really wanted to hunt down the engineer who designed that system so I can drive the truck thru is living room and park it as a Christmas tree because my dash had so many lights on from this.

Sorry for the vent

BTW I have learned that if you do not use 0w40 mobil 1 or better your just asking for the vanos to take a dump. I am sure you guys know this but I was very surprised at how well that motor reacted to this oil type. For the transmission please do not believe that label that says no service required. It means no service required until we have to put in a new transmission for ya

Yes I will use the search button lol

Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW645/335
Quote:
Too funny

I am going to head with a hard top. I have dealt with more than enough with the Range Rover. I still can not get over the fact that a low battery can have you chasing all sorts of error messages and I really hope BMW has not gone with a liquid cooled alternator like what is installed on the Range Rover. I say this because I have the same bmw motor in my truck. In the spring my water pump went out , seized the belt pulley , snapped the belt which cut all my coolant hoses like a whip with a blade. The further damage was that the water pump has plastic fans catches that crumbled sending small fragments into that beautiful liquid cooled alternator which crapped that out as well. Happy happy joy joy with a stick straight up the rear of me. The bastard didn't even spit on it lol

I did all the work myself but I really wanted to hunt down the engineer who designed that system so I can drive the truck thru is living room and park it as a Christmas tree because my dash had so many lights on from this.

Sorry for the vent

BTW I have learned that if you do not use 0w40 mobil 1 or better your just asking for the vanos to take a dump. I am sure you guys know this but I was very surprised at how well that motor reacted to this oil type. For the transmission please do not believe that label that says no service required. It means no service required until we have to put in a new transmission for ya

Yes I will use the search button lol

Thanks
LOL at the "Park it as a christmas tree" HAHAHA.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
I have an 08 650 cab manual and so far it has been OK. Manual tranny has no issues that I am aware of except finding a vehcile that has one. I get a failure to start from time to time and spurious low voltage faults, but they go away after a nice long drive or a night on the charger (evidently I have the evil unfavorable driving profile) but so far no issues with the top. You definitely have to check the drain holes both under the top as well as below the cabin filters from time to time. For diagnostics I ordered the cable & software package from BM Technic and it works well. It also allows you to reprogram cool stuff in and annoying stuff out, but there are hundreds of posts about that. Good luck

Freedom Isn't Free
Old 08-29-2013, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: E65 740i LCI
I bought a 2005 m/y 645ci vert with 62000 miles on the clock for around $25000 (converted from ZAR) fresh out of BMW Maintenance Plan. Been a pleasure to drive and no major problems yet. Thermostat, Evap Valves and headlamp washer pump needed replacing (warranty covered all but the valves). Hydro stabilizer bar (Dynamic Drive) sprung the common leak but I repaired it thanks to a DIY posted elsewhere on this forum. Anti-theft car tracking system was killing the battery and causing phantom errors but after removing it the errors are gone. A friend of mine drove the car and ramped it so the entire front suspension was replaced by BMW as well.

My SA at BMW told me that the suspension on these cars are prone to bending which leads to excessive play around 100'000km. He mentioned that this is due to the aluminium components used. Tyres on the narrow and wide 19" mixed setup are damned expensive, and since March this year I have had 3 rims repaired. I have ordered the BMW Tyre Mobility Kit (71100413439) and plan on converting to non-runflat tyres all around.

Fuel economy wise my car is spot on with the town driving figures (16l/100km mixed driving / 14mpg) but when you buy these kind of cars you should not be worried about fuel costs.

If you are looking at a vert then double check and triple check...and check one more time...the roof operation. Listen to the pump and if it sounds like it is straining then query it. Also check for water stains in the convertible top compartment as well as in the battery well in the trunk.

If the car has heated seats check their operation. The driver side seat especially is prone to failure. You can verify this by sitting in the seat, activating the heating and then monitor the head distribution. If the bolster on one side gets really hot and the opposite side of the seat barely has any heat then most likely the heating mat has disintegrated. Unfortunately these cannot be replaced cheaply since they are bonded to the leather (around $4500 per seat from BMW).

Lastly...check for the dreaded seatbelt/SRS warnings and failures. Like the rest of the E6x cars (5-er and 7-er) the 6-ers develop problems with their seat occupancy mats and other SRS systems. I was able to sort mine out with programming while retaining all SRS functionality but others have not been this lucky.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:04 AM

GOOD LORD!

That's not promising. I have been looking at these cars in the 45k to 55k for mileage. For all those problems to have happen so young in miles is not good. I understand that these are BMW's but they should be built better. Nissan maxima's never have problems like this!

I swear the wrencher in me chants bob the builder. " we can fix it Cory " while the cheapo in me says " buy a Nissan and be happy you dork"

I battle myself daily lol

choices and choices.

Thanks for chiming in

Cory
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Ultimately you won't go wrong with the BMW. Sure, it has its little niggles, but the joy of hearing the engine come to life each time you turn the key is the best. The 6-er in vert guise is an incredibly rewarding drive and they are scarce (well at least here they are). For what it's worth the suspension work (control arms, wishbones, support struts, subframe and sundries) came to $5000 all inclusive, brand new and all the work was done by BMW.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!

Quote:
GOOD LORD!

That's not promising. I have been looking at these cars in the 45k to 55k for mileage. For all those problems to have happen so young in miles is not good. I understand that these are BMW's but they should be built better. Nissan maxima's never have problems like this!

I swear the wrencher in me chants bob the builder. " we can fix it Cory " while the cheapo in me says " buy a Nissan and be happy you dork"

I battle myself daily lol

choices and choices.

Thanks for chiming in

Cory
That is the short list of potential issues. Dont even start into all the items that will leak fluid, coolant expansion tank, valve covers, head gasket, alternator bracket gasket, etc. Welcome to BMW, it ain't no nissan or toyota!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 AM

Though I would add to the list: Drive Belt and C.Comp Belt both being replaced today. The C.Comp belt snapped, wrapped itself around the Drive Belt pulley and started eating away at the Drive Belt. Whole thing is frayed now. This explains why my aircon has not been working for a month now.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM

It seems like the 6 will be a money pit!

Great news is that I flew to CT to close out the loan I had on the range rover so I can obtain the title to sell to CarMax or trade in at a dealer with a 6 that's in good condition with low mileage. There is a member from NY who does valve stem repairs for about $2500.00. He has a 6'er that I am highly interested due to him being a BMW Tech and has gone thru any fixes with the car. The only down side is that its black and is an auto. I am at a cross with this because I really want white / silver / or that gray color. If I find one in that chateau color I will be sold!

Thanks Everyone
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645CI
All I can say is that its a great chose. I have had my 05 645CI going on 4 years and with the exception of a few minor things like tires and brakes , it has been great. This is my 2nd BMW and I also has a Mercedes also and The BMW 645 wins hands down
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 AM

My 2007 650 coupe Monaco blue with 54,000 miles and manual transmission is still for sale!