Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
illusive shimmy

Hi all... I have searched this topic time and time again and have replaced pretty much everything on the list. I have a 97 528i. new front tires, Miglea 17" rims new, all balanced and perfect. new rotors pads, control and thrust arms and stabilizer links. Tie rods are a year old. I cannot escape this wobble at speeds over 70 and when I brake hard the steering wheel does the left right dance. I have adjusted, twisted and turned pretty much everything I can think of and have found. I do feel a pulse when braking as I am slowing to a stop. feels like the brakes grab then release. or maybe another warped rotor. I also have replaced the abs sensors. Anyway I am at a loss and need some insight..
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Did you replace the struts also--if so,,,then the springs may not be turned the correct way in the strut housing. I had the same thing going on oncerning braking and feeling a pulsing like a bad rotor--The problem on mine was coming from the right side of the car,, I noticed that the spring wasn't sitting in it's perch the same way it was on the drivers side--I made the change in the spring oreintation and then all was well...may be you problem--or not ,,but it helped and worked for me.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
"Wobble" at speed is more likely a different problem than the brake pulsation. Rotors don't "warp." See: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
It sounds like you have classic pad imprinting on the rotors or even carbide formations. Were the pads bedded in? You could try bedding or re-bedding them, but if that fails, you can have the rotors turned or just replace them to start again with a fresh rotor surface.

For the "wobbling" at speed, I would double-check wheel balance, straightness and roundness; sometimes you get a bad brand new tire, or one of your new aftermarket rims got bent. If everything checks out OK in the wheels & tires, then I would follow poolman's suggestions: Struts and their installation.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: e39 525iT
What about...

Replacing your REAR rotors and brakes? I had this same type of issue and kept replacing stuff that I was sure was good- new rotors and pads in the front, tried tire rotations and rebalancing, then replaced all 4 perfectly good tires, thrust arms, you name it. Finally I had the rear rotors turned and got new pads. After that, no more shimmy! I would have bet my first born that the vibration was coming from the front, too! It's been 2000-3000 miles and still smooth as silk.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
Center bores of the new wheels? is it correct for e39?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 520i Auto
I had the same trouble when upgrading to 18" wheels, had the control arms, ball joints replaced, balanced 4 times. The problem in the end was the front Yokohama tyres. I replaced with Michelin PS3's along with a Hunter balance, also the E39 wheel bore size is 74.1mm the 18" wheels I got are 75.3mm but I didn't realise nore did the previous garages who worked with my wheels/tyres. Everytime I take my wheels off I have to use a 0.6mm feeler guage to centre them up.

What tyre brand did you use? BMW have star marked Michelin PS2 and soon probably PS3, also I was told that BMW cars don't like after market wheels.

This is what I would do, change the front tyres to Michelin PS2, PS3 or supersports and get a dynamic balance with a Hunter machine along with a road force vibration test, most Michelins average 8-12 Ibs force and your allowed something like 15-16 on that size wheel, check that there is no play on the wheel hub and bores. This is what was done on my car and it runs 100%
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 PM

The wheels are bmw stock rims I got them from a guy at the dealer. they are the miglea 1000 . I did not do the struts but I did remove the struts from spindle area to do control arms and thrust arms. I had the shimmy after doing all the work and having the 15'bbs rims. I also found my tie rods were digging into my rims on hard turns into parking spots and what not. I did change rear pads but not the rotors so Maybe I will do that next. I had my front wheel bearings checked when I did other work on front. I guess I am planning to do the struts. There is no play when I put rims on they fit directly over bore and it holds without movement. The rotors are new with no more than 300 miles on them and the pads. I am also pretty sure my alignment is not as true as it should be and I will be doing that as well
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 PM

What brand are the tires? one thing I have learned from 7 months of misery of front end vibration is that when upgrading to larger wheels everything needs to be just right and tires play a massive part of this problem with larger wheels fitted. I suspected everything but the tires.

Edited: One thing I will add, when you say new tires and wheels balanced and perfect, I had 4 balances with 3 different companies and every one said " thats perfect on zero, if they don't run right something is wrong else where" WRONG! the other 3 companies used Mickey Mouse balancers and the Hunter machine with a road force test proved all 3 previous companies wrong.

Last edited by Turv; 08-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 AM

ok well I will find a shop with a hunter machine. they were put on at bmw dealer here so I figured they would know..
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Just for the record, here is what we find in the best links by typing /vibration F3 ...

- The main causes front-end clunk while driving (1) & clunking while braking (1) & the generic causes of vehicle vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1) & severe ABS shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & how fluid-filled thrust arm bushings crack and tear causing the BMW to vibrate at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a comprehensive TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with wheel match mounting hints (1) & how a worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", aka giubo (it's not spelled guibo although it sounds like it is to some) can cause the vehicle to vibrate (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) & how to repair the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
recently my car starts to develop 60-80 MPH FRONT shimmy and the reason was flat Conti Summer REAR tires and new tires fixed this issue
I suggest to balance your tires on Hunter machine every year , the last balance of my Michelin PS2 shows these numbers which are pretty decent

LF - 8 Lbs
RF- 2 Lbs
LR - 8 Lbs
RR - 6 Lbs

anything > 10-12 Lbs on a front and you are going to feel it ( ask me how i know )

GL

Last edited by champaign777; 08-31-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM

trying to find a shop with a hunter machine here where I live. Thanks for info,.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle525i View Post
trying to find a shop with a hunter machine here where I live. Thanks for info,.
Use this link: http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm