Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
Lease Buyout Dealer Fees?

Hello - My lease is up on my X5d. I'm planning on purchasing it. On my contract, there is a $350 acquisition fee. My dealer is also requiring $375 inspection fee which is not showing up in contract. Is the $375 inspection fee is legit?
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
I honestly don't know. But if you're purchasing the car, why do you have to pay to have the car inspected? The only think I can figure is that by purchasing your dealer is offering "CPO" 6y/100,000 coverage, then perhaps that's the requirement for the inspection?

FYI, you posted this question in the somewhat obscure 5-series Gran Turismo forum, and not the X5 forum.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Wow, I've never done a lease but that acquisition fee seems bogus to me as I would have thought you already paid an acquisition fee upon first taking possession of the vehicle. Unless, of course they waived it, time to go through your records to verify I suppose...

As for inspection I agree with uter.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolechjo View Post
Hello - My lease is up on my X5d. I'm planning on purchasing it. On my contract, there is a $350 acquisition fee. My dealer is also requiring $375 inspection fee which is not showing up in contract. Is the $375 inspection fee is legit?
There is a $350 disposition fee if the car is returned. I do not think there is any additional acquisition fee or inspection fee if you are buying the car at lease end. Both sound bogus.

You should post this question in the Ask a Dealer forum.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Here's more of the story...

I thought this would be a very simple transaction. I swing by the dealer and sign some paperwork and I had the car. Much to my surprise, BMW dealer charges an addition $375 inspection fee to perform this service. I was shocked. I originally leased the vehicle from them. I thought they would be elated that I was there to buy out the lease. However, apparently doing the service for me is a money losing proposition for my dealer. Here's how the sales rep lays it out after I mentioned that I was not interested in paying the inspection fee:
"Ok I just talked to my GSM of the dealership and he said he cannot lose money to sell you back your car so unfortunately he said we cannot do the purchase for you. Sorry" Really? For $375 they are losing money?

This fee was not disclosed on my leasing documents. Here's what BMW Financial Services has to say:
"We understand your frustration with regards to the purchase of your leased vehicle with your BMW center. Please note however that BMW Financial Services is not involved in the transaction when you purchase a vehicle directly through your BMW center. Thus, we recommend working with your BMW center directly with regards to any questions or concerns surrounding the process or pricing. If the issue with your BMW center is not resolved, you may contact BMW of North America to file a complaint. We hope this is helpful." Basically, not BMW financial services problem.

I guess I now have to hear back from BMW North America to complete the loop here.
I love the car. The service manager has been fantastic. I'm sure my sub-optimal experience is not reflective of BMW at all. But, I do wonder how many others are as surprised as I am to get hit with an additional dealer imposed fee upon buying out their lease. For $375, I will not ever buy a car from them again. Pretty short sighted in my opinion as I buy a car every 4 years.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
You can deal directly with BMWFS and complete the purchase from them. They don't tell you that because their job is to direct you to do business with the dealers. Once again, you should post this in the Ask a Dealer forum.

Your dealer gets nothing from helping you buy out your lease. They aren't selling you a car. The car is now owned by BMWFS. The dealership made money when they sold the car you leased three years ago. They are interested in selling another new car, whether you buy outright or lease.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-29-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the follow-up and the advice. I will post to the ask dealer forum
Old 08-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Greg Poland Pacific BMW

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5 M sport
well said T...raider. BMW charges $0 ..........the dealer will charge a fee of some sort. That fee is similar to what we would charge to do a CPO pre inspection to see what it would take to CPO the car for you, the tech and store have to be paid for diagnostic time. If you are buying a car EVERY DEALER will charge a markup of some sort, they will not do it for $0 profit. You can always buy it directly from BMW for the RESIDUAL they will NOT discount....... however we almost always get a discounted price on MOST vehicles.

Greg Poland
Pacific BMW
800 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 254 1491
www.PacificBMW.com
gregpoland@pacificbmw.com
Euro delivery, PC delivery, Out of state-new and used car sales
Hours:T-F 1-8 PM,Sat 1 to 8pm, off Sun and Mon.

Current rides: 2013 X5 msport and 2013 535i
15% over wholesale/invoice for all accessories! and free shipping for Bimmerfest members!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEK7hG-3fyA