Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Question 2005 X5 - rear door wont open from inside or outside

It sucks that I only bought it last week and became a bmw owner a second time.. my first bmw was a 1982 BMW 315

So a few days ago I noticed the child lock was on on this door , I have unlocked it and everything was operational.
Yesterday I got in the car from this door to do some cleaning inside and was never able to get out using that door. I have tried so many unlock-locks with the center button or from remote to maybe get it going again but no luck !
The actual pin goes up and down as usual but there is absolutely no tension on the door handle from inside or outside.

What I gathered so far from my searches :

If I try to remove the door card while the door is closed , I will break or crack it.
I was quoted $450 including labor to change the actuator IF i was to be able to get the door open first. (Local indy who is reputable here in Calgary,AB)
I found this awesome link that describes how to get the door open with a coat hanger but its for the front doors :
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-fix-pics.html
because of the extra little quarter window that wont roll down at the back,I couldnt even try this method.

Im not sure what else to try , I sure dont want to break anything and I dont want to pay tons of money to get the unlocked.
I still have to slowly fix other known issues like dead pixels on MID and rough shift from first to second gear when low throttle applied.

Anyone experienced this before ? Im open to all suggestions at this point_a_
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgatt View Post
It sucks that I only bought it last week and became a bmw owner a second time.. my first bmw was a 1982 BMW 315

So a few days ago I noticed the child lock was on on this door , I have unlocked it and everything was operational.
Yesterday I got in the car from this door to do some cleaning inside and was never able to get out using that door. I have tried so many unlock-locks with the center button or from remote to maybe get it going again but no luck !
The actual pin goes up and down as usual but there is absolutely no tension on the door handle from inside or outside.

What I gathered so far from my searches :

If I try to remove the door card while the door is closed , I will break or crack it.
I was quoted $450 including labor to change the actuator IF i was to be able to get the door open first. (Local indy who is reputable here in Calgary,AB)
I found this awesome link that describes how to get the door open with a coat hanger but its for the front doors :
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-fix-pics.html
because of the extra little quarter window that wont roll down at the back,I couldnt even try this method.

Im not sure what else to try , I sure dont want to break anything and I dont want to pay tons of money to get the unlocked.
I still have to slowly fix other known issues like dead pixels on MID and rough shift from first to second gear when low throttle applied.

Anyone experienced this before ? Im open to all suggestions at this point_a_
sounds like a broken cable inside the door. maybe a tow truck company can open it up for ya from the outside.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Sadly, you won't know if its the actuator, cable, or other issue until you get the door card off. And just as you've read (and many 3/5/7/X/Z/owners have experienced)...the door card has to come off before you can get the door open...and it usually involves some slight damage.

Unless you get lucky and the culprit is the actuator and by happenstance it actually opens sometime in the future. If it does...DON'T LOCK THE DOORS...until you can get the door card off...even if it means waiting to order parts until you can put everything back together.

Some examples (which you may have already seen):
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 4.4,
You should be able to undo the housing around the inside door handle inside, remove the lever, or get access by removing the plastic/wood panel, then with a metal coat hanger (bent at the end to make a hook) loop that around the cable and pull hard. This will release the lock, and allow you to open the door. From here, remove the entire door card and replace the cable. You may even find that the cable has slipped off the internal latch holding it in place, and this may only require resetting.

If the cable has become disengaged at the lock end, then use the coat hanger and loop the actual metal bracket that comprises the locking mechanism and pull hard on that.

Yes its bloody tricky, but can be done. You may even need someone to help you with a torch or light to assist your vision.

Good luck

Last edited by KiaKaha; 08-29-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5
had the same problem with my X5. I had to remove the back seat which enabled me to get to the door panel. Then I could remove the actuator, it was a broken link inside. mech quoted me 450.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Thanks guys ,
I will try to remove the back seat ,not sure how hard it is but its worth giving a shot.