Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 AM
Happy not Hippie

Mein Auto: BMW '03 X5 Die and KOMBIS
Testing me out

Well I've had my X5 for a couple of months and boy is it trying me out.

First it was the door handle which broke a couple of days after we got the vehicle at a cost of $520 to fix I realised we had better try and do as much maintainence as possible ourselves.

Google has been my constant friend and this forum a great help.

I kept getting the 'check coolant' warning, I soon discovered that you cannot simply top up with an ordinary coolant so a 3 and a half hour drive to our nearest BMW dealer was needed. Andy wanted to do an oil change, replace oil filter, air filter and fuel filter as well while we were at it. We sourced the filters via the web and made sure we got the right oil.

We were horrified to find that the oil and fuel filters we removed had seals and O rings missing, the air filter cover had only half the captive screw done up. The radiator plug was broken and had to be drilled out, it had been superglued to hold it together so it has a slight leak. The hose clamp was also loose and leaking slightly. We assumed these to be the problem with the coolant warning and ordered a new plug ($35 posted) and waited three days to finish the job.

Andy took it for a test drive and on his return noticed liquid coming out onto the ground.....
Lifted the bonnet and there was coolant spraying out from the overflow tank....bugger. I manage to track one down online and we are now waiting to replace it. Tomorrow we will remove the old. Fingers crossed all will then be OK as we want to take it away on Holidays the following week.

The drivers window has also even playing up, goes down won't come up, but only occasionally. I have googled that as well so it's on the list of things to do.

One of the tail lights almost fell out, the bolts were loose, now that was an easy fix.

My MID is having an overseas holiday and hopefully will be returned with all the pixels working. I sent it off to London as it was half the price as here to have fixed and they give a life time warranty. I sent it off to the name and address on the EBay checkout and came home to an email telling me to send it to another name and address and make sure to value it at $20. I put a lot more than that! It was with great relief that I received an email yesterday to say they have received it.
I just need to get it back now.

It's been a frustrating few first weeks but I'm sure things will be finally be sorted and I can get on with enjoying my new ride.
Ads by Google