Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: I wish it was a Bimmer
Time From Order to Delivery

I'm almost ready to order my X1, and I wanted to poll the group and see how long it took, on the average, for your X1 to be ready to pick up. I've heard 8-12 weeks.

Also, do I need to have my financing figured out when I order, or can it wait until I pick it up?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
1-2 weeks before production, BMW plant will lock in all orders so it can schedule needed parts.
9-12 days for production.
1-2 weeks to be transported to the port.
1-3 weeks before a ship sails.
2 weeks for east coast sailing, 3.5 weeks for west coast.
2 days to 2 weeks in customs
2 days to a week for delivery by truck to your dealer
1-3 days for your dealer to prep it and have it ready for you to pickup.

So 7 weeks if you're the luckiest person in the world (one in a million change...)
16 weeks if you keep lucking out on timing.

I think 9-12 weeks is a good east coast estimate and 11-14 is a good west coast estimate.

Depending on your dealer and how you finance it will depend on when you have to come due on the full amount. Typically though a dealership will do the order with just a deposit unless he thinks it won't be easy to sell the car with your requested options. In the US with BMWNA, you can pretty much back out until you take delivery of the car, but you should have BMWFS already done or be pre-approved through another financial institute before you order the car.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 28i MSport
9 Weeks to Salt Lake City, and yes if you went through USAA bank.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 28i MSport
Actually just under 10 weeks, to be exact, so I consider myself lucky. Still the wait was excruciating. LOL
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydetiger View Post
I'm almost ready to order my X1, and I wanted to poll the group and see how long it took, on the average, for your X1 to be ready to pick up. I've heard 8-12 weeks.

Also, do I need to have my financing figured out when I order, or can it wait until I pick it up?

Ordered mine Jan 28th, production started Feb 8th, car arrived Halifax March 5th,
and arrived at my dealer on the West Coast(ready for pick up) on March 28th.
I grabbed it April 5th, as I had to arrange travel and plane tickets.
So thats about 2 months for mine, although I think I was lucky to get an allocation only about 10 days after the order and deposit was placed.
Some dealerships might not have allocations that quickly.

Yes, have your financing and method of payment ready before you order.
Either your going to pay your own cash, your banks cash, or finance through them.
(assuming your not leasing)

In my case, I ordered telling them I was paying cash. Actually I was going to use a Line of Credit from my bank, but to the dealership of course it would just be cash to them.
During the waiting process, I inquired about their financing rates and decided to switch to their financing since it was a lower rate.
My CA sent me new a quote. I believe at some point to they had to do a credit check on me to be approved for financing.

When I finally took delivery, there were no suprises, and the numbers all worked out to the spread sheet I had prepped in advance.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
My car was just a frame when I ordered it, and it took just a few days over 7 weeks for it to get to the dealership.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
My wait was 7 weeks, plus or minus a day.

I live about an hour outside of New York City, so am lucky to be positioned for one of the shortest possible US delivery times. That said, it felt like forever. There was a week or so when production completed in Bremerhaven when nothing seemed to happen. That was the worst.

I've had the car for just over 2 weeks, and LOVE it. Worth the wait.

Oh, and my dealer let me wait until 24 hrs before delivery to commit to my finance/buy decision (he did the credit check when I placed the order.) When I ordered, BMW wasn't offering much by way of incentives to finance, so there was no hurry to lock it in.

Last edited by Grady_X1; 06-07-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Two things.

1. I ordered March 22; had my vin March 25; car was complete April 5; I had it May 10 which is 7 weeks to the day. That included sitting in Bermerhaven for 2 weeks. Obviously my dealer had available allocations and being an hour from the port doesn't hurt. The car was unoaded on a Thursday and the dealer had it on Saturday.

2. Finance. My personal experience is only with leasing from BMWFS, but I think you're best off locking it in when you order. You then get to choose the better of the terms at that time vs terms when you actually get the car (or you can lock in better terms in the interim, also). In my case when I locked I got .00129, 55%, $500 + $750 in incentives. The terms were all the same when I got the car, except the money factor went down to .00127, so I got that. (You can't mix and match terms though; you have to pick one package. E.g. this month I think I would have gotten .00127, 57%, $750).

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: Ordered: X1 sDrive 28i
Mine took 9 weeks from ordering to delivery in SD The wait is tough but seeing 6 miles in the odometer is pretty good
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: X1

If you don't count the two ordering errors the CA made which had to be cancelled, it took 8 weeks from the time of the correct order until I picked it up in SoCal. The car went into production 2 days after I ordered it.

Last edited by Wolfex; 06-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x drive 28i
I ordered on April 30 and was able to step into an existing allocation. My car apparently has arrived in Baltimore. Won't be long now.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x drive 28i
Got the call today: my car is at the dealer in Indianapolis. If all goes well, I'll pick it up tomorrow, which would be seven weeks from order to delivery.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Congrats! definitely exciting time that last day or so. Definitely sounds like the right thing to do is to step into an open allocation slot if you can, not even sure how long you would need to wait otherwise. I'm in Western Canada and I took delivery last Saturday which is exactly 7 weeks from when I ordered (open allocation slot). That's pretty quick in my opinion, but the big difference is unlike west coasters, they railed my car in from Halifax which is a very early stop in the Atlantic crossing. Rather than the extra wait for the boat to hit a port on the west coast.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
I'm finding this wait to be excrutiating, but in a good way, like waiting for a reward. My order was placed July 1 and it went into production immediately. It's now been sitting at a port waiting for a shipping vessel for more than a week now. I'm assuming about 4 weeks after it gets on a boat to get to the West Coast.

It wouldn't be so bad if my E46 wasn't self-destructing as I type. I'll be taking it in for some mysterious engine leak tomorrow. It's almost as if it knows.....

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanooki2 View Post
I'm finding this wait to be excrutiating, but in a good way, like waiting for a reward. My order was placed July 1 and it went into production immediately. It's now been sitting at a port waiting for a shipping vessel for more than a week now. I'm assuming about 4 weeks after it gets on a boat to get to the West Coast.

It wouldn't be so bad if my E46 wasn't self-destructing as I type. I'll be taking it in for some mysterious engine leak tomorrow. It's almost as if it knows.....
I feel for you. My A3 was malfunctioning and had to go into the shop for repairs twice while I waited for my X1 to arrive. As a final slap in the face the last incident happened the day before I was supposed to pick up the new car. I called and told the CA that I had to delay pick up a couple of days while they fixed it. I was so glad to get rid of that piece of junk Audi.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: Honda
I've been shopping for several months for an X1, last Monday I finally placed the order with a dealer in California. My order replaced another X1 S drive. So it has been 8 days and it still hasn't went into production yet. Im just curious on how long it usually takes to go into production from the time you order it??? Also, my dealer mentioned in order to use the 1000$ sign and drive bonus from a few weeks ago, I would have to get the car before October 31st. Is getting the vehicle before October 31st a long shot??
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
I placed my order on July 1st and it went into production a couple weeks later (week 29/52). It's scheduled for delivery to Port Hueneme, CA, on 8/24, which would be about 9 weeks after ordering. I will be picking it up a week later, so 10 weeks total for me.

Congrats on your order!

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda

We ordered ours on 7/30, it finished production on 8/14, got to the port on 8/17, and its been there ever since. There's still no shipping info available as of today, according to the website, the phone number, and my dealer. How long did you guys have your cars waiting in Germany before they got loaded on a vessel? Did you get notified of the ship name/voyage booking info prior to the car being loaded into the ship? If so, how much lead time did they give you? Our car's status hasn't changed on the dealer's site in two weeks, and it hasn't changed on the phone or website in almost 3 weeks. Is this normal?

Old 08-31-2013, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I'm in the same situation - my X1 35i has been sitting at the dock since 8/13. My dealer told me yesterday that the delay has been due to the European August vacation. They are still telling me I should receive it around the middle to end of September.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda

If you're on the west coast, there's no way in hell you're getting it in September. It's 24-31 days from Germany to Port Hueneme, CA. Then it has to get transferred to that prep place, and then to the dealer. Each of those steps is a day, minimum. So that's at least 30 days until pick up, and today is the last day of August.
Now, if you're on the east coast or in the Midwest somewhere, he might still be correct.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I am in Richmond, VA
Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1 Series

I ordered May 16th; took delivery July 26th. Maryland.