Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Jubba

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0L automatic
Unhappy AC fuse keeps popping

Hello everyone

I am having a problem with my 2003 X5 (E53) AC system
The fuse keeps poping whenever I replace it. I have changed 4 fuse over the pase month. BMW did a diag. and did not see an issue with the IHKA but did mention shorts inpanel. The fuse that keeps popping is 48 (in the glove compartment)

Anyome know what my issue could be?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i, x5 4.6is, E46 M3
Disconnect your battery for a few minutes and reconnect, that should do the trick.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.6IS
A/C Fuse 48

That fuse is a 7.5 A fuse I believe. If I recall, I believe that one powers the A/C compressor clutch. I don't like to diagnose over the internet/phone but I have a feeling that your compressor clutch is failing. Couple things I would do (some not proper by the book) but if you were to unplug the A/C compressor clutch connector, BLACK with GREY tracer stripe. Put a new fuse in and power up the Control Module and set to A/C. If the fuse does not blow, you're probably into a compressor clutch.....

If it is intermittent, it could be the clutch shorting-to-ground or an exposed wire between the controller and compressor clutch. I've attached a Wiring Diagram.

I hope this helps!!! Good-Luck....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC fuse.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	288577  
Old 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw-x5 4.4i
Sounds to me like your compressor clutch is fine. check the pressure switch at the dryer cannister. The clutch is in series with the pressure switch. If the pressure switch senses enough freon pressure,it engages the clutch. The clutch is driven by the belt and is a coil winding which magnetizes and runs the compressor. If there is a short in the clutch, there will be no cooling,Period. If there is a short with the pressure switch the switch is grounding to the chasis negative shorting out the fuse. Bypass the switch with a jumper wire then work the compressor a couple of times .If the fuse holds, then the switch needs to be replaced. If this does'nt work, there is a high resistance short in the A/C system. Check to see if the compressor is not getting stuck with the engine and A/C on. You should hear a loud squeaking noise if the belt is slipping. If it is, have a tech reclaim some of the freon and charge a cannister of oil and freon gas. Hopefully this should lubricate the compressor .Dont try to charge the system yourself. Have a tech check the pressure in the system. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Jubba

Thanks for your comments.
I did have the battery changed about 3 weeks ago by the dealer. What a hit! The AC fuse started popping round about that time. I will approach these 3 suggestions one at a time to see if it helps. The issue is intermittent so very hard to predict. at times it will go for a week and at other times it would go for a day or will pop right away. It sounds like some sort of shorts and I am a bit nervous about messing with this beast. I am mechanically inclined but not having a good handle of the advanced computer in these vehicles is causing me to be cautious.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Not sure if this is the case for your problem but:
I remember reading (either here or on xoutpost) that the little fan that draws air to the cabin sensor can pop a fuse when it get dirty. You might want to try a search to see if you can find the relevant post on either board. All it took was a quick blow out using canned air to cure the problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Jubba

Thanks for this. I will be focusing my attention on it over the weekend. I hope something will solve the problem. I will be sure to update.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Hi

Just wondering if you had solved the problem. I have exactly the same thing with my E53 X5
Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Found the fix

Check this link out and let me know if it helps.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Jubba

Hello guys... I just can not believe that I did not respond to what corrected my problem. Not good.
Well I did resolve the problem. I removed the module and cleaned out the fan as was suggested by @Zulu95. You should see the stuff that was clogging the fan!
I have not had a problem since.