Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
Driving Impressions

I took my M5 out on a long drive through some interesting roads this past weekend, and spent a bunch of time with a friend and his M3. Wanted to share some impressions with the group and get feedback from anyone interested in providing it:

1. The M5 is obscenely fast. Passing slow traffic on two lane roads is what this car was built to do. Pulling out to pass I can devour an M3, I was doing things in 4th that my friend and his SMG-equipped M3 could not do at full boil.

2. The M3 sounds brilliant. Why could BMW not tune the exhaust on the M5?

3. Going down the mountain in an M5 is not so much fun. The steering is a little slow for tighter bends, and you really feel the weight transfer. The 20" wheels with their large contact patches and the suspension do their best to mask it, but when gravity is taking you down the mountain you really feel all 4,000+ lbs making themselves known.

4. Going up the mountain the M5 shrinks around you. The torque vectoring diff really works wonders and (slow steering aside) carving up makes the car feel much, much smaller.

5. The power is intoxicating. Yes, this is sort of a repeat of #1, but pulling out of slow corners is something else in this car. You dont really have to worry about your line, just get through and floor the throttle coming out.

Hope you enjoy your M5 as much as I do...

Please note that nothing in this post is meant to condone or recommend driving at anything other than legal speeds in a safe manner.
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Hi Kali, I have had the same experience on similar roads in Australia. Steering is slow, and weight is a problem around corners. still an awesome car to drive.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_kanuk View Post
I took my M5 out on a long drive through some interesting roads this past weekend, and spent a bunch of time with a friend and his M3. Wanted to share some impressions with the group and get feedback from anyone interested in providing it:

1. The M5 is obscenely fast. Passing slow traffic on two lane roads is what this car was built to do. Pulling out to pass I can devour an M3, I was doing things in 4th that my friend and his SMG-equipped M3 could not do at full boil.

2. The M3 sounds brilliant. Why could BMW not tune the exhaust on the M5?

3. Going down the mountain in an M5 is not so much fun. The steering is a little slow for tighter bends, and you really feel the weight transfer. The 20" wheels with their large contact patches and the suspension do their best to mask it, but when gravity is taking you down the mountain you really feel all 4,000+ lbs making themselves known.

4. Going up the mountain the M5 shrinks around you. The torque vectoring diff really works wonders and (slow steering aside) carving up makes the car feel much, much smaller.

5. The power is intoxicating. Yes, this is sort of a repeat of #1, but pulling out of slow corners is something else in this car. You dont really have to worry about your line, just get through and floor the throttle coming out.

Hope you enjoy your M5 as much as I do...

Please note that nothing in this post is meant to condone or recommend driving at anything other than legal speeds in a safe manner.
Was suspension in sport plus and what mode was drive (D3/S3) in?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
Driving Impressions

Suspension and steering were sport+, engine in sport. My car is a 6-sp manual

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Your safety disclaimer is a bit funny. Are you at some liability risk either way via the internet??
Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 300C
I live in the area too. Can you PM me the roads you travelled, I would like to take the 550i for a run.
Thanks

2013 550i M-Sport
ED pickup 6.25.2013
ED drop off-Munich 7.8.2013
Pick up at dealer 8.24.2013