Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 Sdrive 28..
I can't do this!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/investigat...-200-fine..ece
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Mazda
I can't do this!!!

Most states require a front plate. California does too. however, of the 3 cars I've owned, I only had a legitimate front plate on one of them. My first car, a lowly Hyundai Excel, technically had a front plate, but it was a fake plate from Graceland that read "Elvis 1".
The cops can legally pull you over for no front plate, but that rarely happens. What's more likely is that they would just add a second charge onto a ticket, if they were pulling you over for some other infraction. I do carry the front plate in my car, but I never put it on. When I bought my 2007 Mazda 6, it didnt come with any holes in the bumper! I wasn't about to drill holes in the bumper just to a plate there that I didn't want in the first place! I'll pay the fine if I ever get one, thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Sucky, I can see how a car not designed for a front plate will look with one put on afterwards.

In B.C. we require front plates. And I kinda agree. Our mounties have cameras in the cars that scan plates, and if you are red flagged, they immediately turn around and pull you over.
You might be red flagged if you have recent DUI's or outstanding non paid tickets.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
I think the car manufacturers are in cahoots with this law as well as here in CA.

The cost of adding a front license bracket costs money and I think that is another profit maker for the manufacturers ????
Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
I think the car manufacturers are in cahoots with this law as well as here in CA.

The cost of adding a front license bracket costs money and I think that is another profit maker for the manufacturers ????
Not sure that there's much profit there. I didn't want to install the front plate holder myself so I asked Bev Hills BMW where I bought my X1 and they installed it for me, free. Just could not punch those holes myself. Now that it's there I never think of it.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 coupe 2.8
tag mount

I do not remember who sells it but there is a plate holder that mounts to the tow set up on the front of newer bmws.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1
Move to the south, we don't have front plates in NC, SC, GA, Or TN.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
No front tag in Florida either...However, there is a front plate holder that fits into the front tow eye hole. It is liely worth it to try that instead of drilling holes in the front bumper