Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Album art on the hard drive

Hello, anyone have luck importing album art along with their MP3s onto the hard drive? I used the mp3tag application to write the album art right into the mp3 tags and successfully imported into the connecteddrive system. Playback works fine, nice and clean, but no album art.

I was able to at least partially solve the dumb alphabetical track default by appending track number to the beginning of each title, but I haven't been able to figure out the album art issue. In case it matters I have a 2014 X1 x28i with Tech, Premium & upgraded HK stereo.

I'm pretty sure I could get it working reading from a USB stick in the console, but I don't really want to do that, rather keep USB port available for my iPhone for podcasts and music streaming... at least until the iPhone 5 Plug-In adapter is released.

The X1 rocks, happy to say this is my only issue, which is admittedly minor.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
Unfortunately album art will not be displayed when using the hard drive. I don't know of anyone who has found a way to circumvent this. As you already discovered, you will need to use a flash drive in the USB port if you really want them displayed. That what I did -- I transferred my entire music collection (along with album art) into a tiny flash drive.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 08-31-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Unfortunately album art will not be displayed when using the hard drive. I don't know of anyone who has found a way to circumvent this. As you already discovered, you will need to use a flash drive in the USB port if you really want them displayed. That what I did -- I transferred my entire music collection (along with album art) into a tiny flash drive.
Okay, thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
I'm going to pick up a dedicated flash drive later today to transfer my music to. What's the best method to do this and make sure the album art transfers? I'm using a Mac with iTunes. I also have my music stored with Google Music. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Old 09-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
A good flash drive is SanDisk Cruzer in either 16 or 32 gigs. Totally unobstrusive! I got mine from Amazon. It says it comes preformatted but whatever format they use at the factory is not compatible with BMW's MP3 player. So, format it before you use it (Google up the instructions, but it's really easy to do.) If you have your entire collection already with album art from iTunes or Amazon, they will transfer automatically. The only time you have to add them manually is if you are ripping CD's into MP3 format.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Chris- thanks for the tip! I picked up a SanDisk Cruzer at Staples today for the very reason you mentioned -- it's tiny! I'm going to load it up now after formatting. Thanks so much.

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)