Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Picked up my X1!

Yesterday was finally THE DAY to pick up my new X1! The waiting period from July 1 to August 31 was excruciating, but so worth it! I ordered my car from Jon and he made it such a special experience from ease of ordering all the way to delivery that I can't thank him enough!! THANK YOU JON!

2014 X1 sDrive 28i, Mineral Grey, Black Leather, Ultimate Package, Heated Seats, Aluminum roof rails, chrome package

So far I love the car. Granted, it's only been a little over 24 hours, but the car is exceeding all of my expectations. The drive from Santa Barbara to OC was about 2.5 hours with holiday traffic and I still managed to get 30.5 mpg. I'll be tracking it closely to see how well I do on my commutes to and from work.

A few observations:
--I was concerned about the electronic steering. I will say it is not the same feel as my E46, but I can definitely live with it. I didn't expect driving a larger vehicle to handle so well and the turbo gives it enough punch to zip around people as needed.

--Could the volume knob be any smaller?? Seriously. And, I don't know how many times I have turned the thermostat knob thinking it was volume. I would swap those if I could.

--The visibility is great, especially out the back. I think the side mirrors seem a bit small and leave possible blind spots, but I always look before changing lanes, so not a big deal.

--I won't harp on the passenger cupholder.

--Definitely glad I got the Ultimate Package with all the technological bells and whistles. My E46 had neither bells nor whistles and I really wanted to have everything. I haven't tested Nav yet because it isn't set up yet, but the rear back up camera with the passenger mirror tilt is key for parallel parking.

--I'm undecided on ASS. Driving away from the dealer, it was activated (I thought it was off) and I found it unsettling at the first stoplight when it started up. My passenger and I looked at each other for a second quizically until I remembered it was all good and it was just ASS.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that I'm totally stoked with my purchase all around from the vehicle performance, to the options I chose, to the service provided by Jon and his crew! I'm sure I'll have more observations as I drive more, but that's it for now. Here's a link to a few pix.

http://kristik2.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-X1/31602572_8Csd6d

Kristi

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 10-08-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
very nice
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Beautiful !!!
Love the rims too.

I didn't get a bow.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Congratulations! I know what you mean about the smallish side mirrors. Took a bit for e to get used to, but now that they are perfectly adjusted, it's all good.

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanooki2 View Post

--Could the volume knob be any smaller?? Seriously. And, I don't know how many times I have turned the thermostat knob thinking it was volume. I would swap those if I could.

--The visibility is great, especially out the back. I think the side mirrors seem a bit small and leave possible blind spots, but I always look before changing lanes, so not a big deal.

http://kristik2.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-X1/31602572_8Csd6d

Kristi
Great photos!

Yup, the volume control is getting smaller and smaller over time with BMWs.

I did the same thing when I drove a service loaner x35i X1.

Yes I wish there was an option for blind zone detection as turning your head is the only safest way to make a lane change.

If they only had the option for Nappa Leather seating - I would jump on it.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda
Picked up my X1!

Tanooki- Which OC dealer do you use for service and why? We are still awaiting delivery of our first BMW. We live 2 miles from Crevier, but Irvine and Shelley aren't too far away. I work right near Long Beach BMW too. They are all viable options, if one is clearly better than another. But if they are all the same, I suppose Crevier or Long Beach are the most convenient.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Jealous-

I use Irvine BMW, only because they are 3 miles from my office and offer shuttle service, which is convenient. I bought my first BMW there and did not feel like a 'valued' customer, hence, one of many reasons why I decided to buy from Jon this time around. I only take my car there for free maintenance and once that period is over, I go to Coast Motor Werk in Irvine. I had bad experiences with Irvine BMW when I took it there to diagnose issues in the past.

Kristi

2014 X1 sDrive 28i :: Mineral Grey Metallic :: Black Nevada Leather :: Ultimate Package :: Heated Seats
2005 325Ci :: Sparkling Graphite :: ZSP :: Black'ette :: Aluminum Trim :: Thule Rack :: Dice (Retired)
Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Yup, the volume control is getting smaller and smaller over time with BMWs.
Are the X1's sold in the U.S. not equipped with volume control on the steering wheel?

Very nice X1, Tanooki! Love the color!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 09-02-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda
Picked up my X1!

Tanooki-
Had I found this forum prior to ordering, I probably would have gone trough Santa Barbara too. Maybe next time, 4-5 years from now, I'll go through them for my own ED 3 series wagon. Then I won't have to be jealous anymore!
Thanks for your honesty.
I'll just use Crevier or LB BMW for the free maintenance then. If they are all equally crappy, I suppose convenience becomes the most influential factor.
Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive Coupe
Picked up my X1!

Nice ride. Love the X1.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: MB
Great car! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the photos. Really lovely. I am looking for an X1 now.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: MB
Hi Kristi,

I PMed you with a few questions regarding the X1. Would you take a look when you have a chance? Thanks,