Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 E60 525i
Does anyone know if not registering a battery may cause the AC compressor not to work?

Note: I have already completely replaced my compressor, evaporator valve and pressure switch and the symptoms are the same. If I jump the compress from the battery or tell INPA to turn on the compressor it blows cold air, but by itself it doesn't...

Reading this post, I'm wondering if when I replaced the battery last fall if by not registering the battery to the car might this be causing my electrical system to act dumb.

For example, at times I start my car always with the same key and all of my personal settings are gone on my radio and chair. I shut the car off and start it at another time and WA LA it's all back to normal.

Also, I get a message "Rear Light Tag Light" is malfunctioning at times. I have replaced both lamps and they work fine. but at times I still get the message.

Has anyone seen this? Perhaps it's a different amperage battery and the system is preventing the compressor from starting so as not to damage it????
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkost View Post
Does anyone know if not registering a battery may cause the AC compressor not to work?

Note: I have already completely replaced my compressor, evaporator valve and pressure switch and the symptoms are the same. If I jump the compress from the battery or tell INPA to turn on the compressor it blows cold air, but by itself it doesn't...

Reading this post, I'm wondering if when I replaced the battery last fall if by not registering the battery to the car might this be causing my electrical system to act dumb.

For example, at times I start my car always with the same key and all of my personal settings are gone on my radio and chair. I shut the car off and start it at another time and WA LA it's all back to normal.

Also, I get a message "Rear Light Tag Light" is malfunctioning at times. I have replaced both lamps and they work fine. but at times I still get the message.

Has anyone seen this? Perhaps it's a different amperage battery and the system is preventing the compressor from starting so as not to damage it????
Yes, I afraid it can have adverse effects
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750LI 2006
do we select e65 even though we have a e66 ?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic View Post
do we select e65 even though we have a e66 ?
yes we do.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Lightbulb why battery registration is crucial

This is what I learned, the hard way, via a trip from hell:

The battery charging, like most other systems on these cars, is computer controlled, hence they are demanding of more information and are very sensitive to proper voltages.

Specifically, two aspect needed for the smart chargers within, are the battery type and the CCA rating. Absorbed glass mat batteries have differing charge rates (profiles) and discharge profiles than traditional lead-acid batteries. Either type can be profiled in the car but some shops report strange problems with non-AGM types.

Our '05 745Li refused to blow on high, except on defrost. The problem was cured with a new AGM battery, despite the 'old' lead/acid being rather new and registered to the car, with mileage when done, stored in the car's computer.

As a protection strategy, the car will "load shed" under given circumstances, two of which are dropping system voltage and rising coolant temperature. What system is shed (shut off) is prioritized; first being (in my case) minor volume changes or pops in the left audio channel, progressing within minutes, to ABS warning, Stability control warning, transmission in protective mode, dash light dimming, then engine shutdown via EFI, etc. I saw all this recur withing a 5 minute timeframe +/-. The car will lock in a high gear in the trans protect mode, perhaps making it impossible to climb small inclines.

Also, the car locks in park with E-brake set, when shutdown, having towing implications. There is a release handle, difficult to find, under the dash, above the driver's left foot (US) accessed thru a keyed cover. Pulling the cord, releases both, allowing the car to roll (ensure it is secured otherwise, if needed). Now is a good time to know exactly where to find it, as not all tow truck drivers are aware. One used a jumper box to start my car; needed to shift from Park.

Given the above, I learned why the battery type and rating is important, similar to why my old-school battery chargers are unsuitable for AGM batteries, outside of jump starting. Some independent shops know the above, many do not. Some prefer BMW brand, perhaps b/c of ignorance, but I have seen good result from non-BMW brands of high quality. The Palm Desert shop that replaced the L/A with AGM did not reregister, probably causing many headaches on my recent road trip.

Sadly, BMW provides us with virtually no information about charging state (voltage) until the computer-generated idiot lights begin. Enroute, I finally rigged up an indicator to read accessory plug voltage via the newly acquired DVM. Instant info was there, telling me (and a good technician) that the system was not charging properly, post-'fix' and after a road test indicated effective repair. That same "rig" was crucial to my knowing the system was not slowly approaching shutdown, and that headlights and other added loads were being borne by the alternator. The plug with two wires cost <$3.50 at a truck stop where I performed a full recharge. Simply working the DVM probes into the plug's leads, then wrapped with electrical tape, proved an invaluable tool. Such devices, professionally made, are available.

I will never take a long trip again without jumper cables, a digital volt-ohm-meter and the plug for cockpit readings.

FWIW, the onset of load shedding is at 12.8vDC while normal running voltage is 14.1 +/-.

Last edited by whalepirot; 09-29-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 760Li
Re: Battery registration DIY

How can I register my new battery?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Re: Battery registration DIY

Just make sure when replace the battery ues the boster to give a power going on the terminal so u don't have registered to the car I just replace my battery I was gonna do it myself but I pay 30 bucks and the guy did it for me pick up the battery from auto zone . Before he disconnect the battery I so him put the booster on the terminal so my car is fine bmw 750i

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid32 View Post
Just make sure when replace the battery ues the boster to give a power going on the terminal so u don't have registered to the car I just replace my battery I was gonna do it myself but I pay 30 bucks and the guy did it for me pick up the battery from auto zone . Before he disconnect the battery I so him put the booster on the terminal so my car is fine bmw 750i

A little hard to understand everything you said but if the guy you paid $30 to did not register your battery after installing it your car might not be fine for as long as you hope.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dommm View Post
A little hard to understand everything you said but if the guy you paid $30 to did not register your battery after installing it your car might not be fine for as long as you hope.
Agree, should always have new battery properly registered to car when installed. Waste of $30 IMO if he paid and didn't get it done!.

*** 2008 750i Sport ***
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid32 View Post

I think you are confusing a procedure to hold memory functions with battery registration. Battery registration always needs to be done after a battery is replaced.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanlare View Post
I think you are confusing a procedure to hold memory functions with battery registration. Battery registration always needs to be done after a battery is replaced.
I've read your post. Now, where on the car do you register your new battery and where is it found? Do you need some type of equipment to hookup such as a laptop or tool from autozone? I'm new to this stuff and unsure. My battery is running low but I would like to see first if it can be charged because I only drive it 2 times a month on short rides.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the valuable info above but; Where is this info found??? Is this stuff located on the car itself and if so where?? Do I need a laptop and some type of cord to hookup in order for this to be found? I'm trying to learn how to do this myself without having to go into my INDY as he's charging too much. What do I do and what do I need? Thanks much!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745Luver1959 View Post
Thanks for the valuable info above but; Where is this info found??? Is this stuff located on the car itself and if so where?? Do I need a laptop and some type of cord to hookup in order for this to be found? I'm trying to learn how to do this myself without having to go into my INDY as he's charging too much. What do I do and what do I need? Thanks much!
This is the perfect thread for the info you are looking for. Just start on page 1 & keep reading. It is all here in this thread. gl

PS: As you will learn from this thread, yes you will need a laptop & software & cable.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Battery update

How has your ride been going since you replaced and registered your battery?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 AM

Dead,
Not sure what software package you used but can't seem to get mine to open up to viewing what you've presented. When you apply these results, do you need to have your disks inside your computer and be online?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, 68 Camaro
So if I buy the inpa cable and software download on eBay I can register the battery by following these steps correct? Or do I need something else too?

Thx
Old 12-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Initially I did have problems downloading onto my puter but I contacted the seller and he gave me another site which I could download (free site) (window.net) info which enabled me to see everything from the software. Seems to work. I'll get back with you and let you know if it actually registers the car.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

Raymound,

Which battery did you replace yours with?? OEM or generic??
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Registering the batter

Does anyone know where to insert the software cable within your car to register the battery? Is it underneath the drivers side area where the airbag is or somewhere else??

Last edited by 745Luver1959; 01-22-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
I see everybody is buying aftermarket batteries that worked, where did you buy them from and which one did you get. Are the minimum requirements for the battery 90AH, 900CCA and 190 reserve minutes? And did you use INPA or DIS for the registering.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 AM

I purchased mine from Advance Auto Parts. They were the only ones in town (not even Sears, NAPA, Autozone, O'Reilly) who had the "exact specifications" of the original BMW battery that I took out. The dealer was asking $368 with an additional $150 for registering. Go figure that one out!! Advance had a listed price of $181.99. But, if you go online and pay for it they will give you a code which will deduct $50.00 making it only $149.00. My software package goes with INPA as the first choice for the E65 Series. You'll have to determine for yourself which is the best route for registering. I had a time trying to find the ODB area for registering. When you open the driver's side door, it's right next to the handle which opens the hood. It's got a little plastic cover which when you pull that out carefully, you'll find your module connector for you to connect your computer which will set you going in the right place. Good luck!

Last edited by 745Luver1959; 01-25-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: took out a symbol
Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745Luver1959 View Post
I purchased mine from Advance Auto Parts. They were the only ones in town (not even Sears, NAPA, Autozone, O'Reilly) who had the "exact specifications" of the original BMW battery that I took out. The dealer was asking $368 with an additional $150 for registering. Go figure that one out!! Advance had a listed price of $181.99. But, if you go online and pay for it they will give you a code which will deduct $50.00 making it only $149.00. My software package goes with INPA as the first choice for the E65 Series. You'll have to determine for yourself which is the best route for registering. I had a time trying to find the ODB area for registering. When you open the driver's side door, it's right next to the handle which opens the hood. It's got a little plastic cover which when you pull that out carefully, you'll find your module connector for you to connect your computer which will set you going in the right place. Good luck!
Im going to register it with inpa and see if DIS detects the register date. Im assuming you mean this battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390701076.675345.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	418920

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...920%7CL2*15000

Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM

#2 Report Post Old 09-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Mein Auto: 2002 745I
View My Garage

with toolset32

first go to file then click F3 then select POW_E65.prg

in the second pic double click the command (steuern_batterietausch_registrieren) just ones and you are done .

remember this is for registering the same size battery not for retrofitting another size , if you want to retrofit 90AGM battery you need to register the battery with DIS because DIS well register only 90AGM battery , if you want to retrofit another battery size you have to use NCS expert .

Im trying to Reg a AGM BATTERY FROM A REGULAR bATT , PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME OR SHOW ME THE STEPS AND THE PROGRAM IN NEED TO DO THIS THANKS IN ADVANCE 0:~)
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, 68 Camaro
I just got the cable and software Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393781305.958803.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	425848 this one. It will work for registering the battery if I'm reading through all this posts correctly n it's NCS expert if I read it rt.

Any tips?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393781292.982147.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	425847  
Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto:
Gonna try this

Terry from Weybridge, Surrey. UK