Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
X1 with a manual transmission in the US?

I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm hoping there may be some new intel out there. Any chance of getting an X1 in the US with a 6-spd manual? My 2006 X3 is now 7 years old, and itching for a change. The X1 (either in 28 or 35 xDrive form) would be ideal for my needs. Talking to a salesperson at BMW of Bellevue (WA) today, he said the 4-cylinder turbo couldn't be built with a manual transmission and xDrive. Of course, that ridiculous. He seemed to think that because BMW North America doesn't offer a 328 xDrive manual that it couldn't be built. It's really an issue of market demand...

I know people rave about paddle shifters and DCT, but it's not quite the same thing. I drove a good friend's 2010 BMW M3 over to BMW of Bellevue today. The M3 is a blast! It has seemingly limitless power, and the DCT with paddle shifters are actually quite fun. My favorite part was tightening up the steering in "M sport mode" which really made the car come alive. For an afternoon, the DCT was fun, but I think I still prefer a manual for my daily driver. As for the M3, it arguably had too much power. Doing 10 mph over the speed limit, you can sense the car could easily do 60 or 70 over the speed limit. It was more frustrating than fun for me.

The M5 was an absolutely beast. It's simply gorgeous inside and out (alpine white with black interior and all of the options), and the power is staggering. But for an MSRP of $105K, it better be! I loved all the bells and whistles, and the B&O stereo was a highlight.

There are three issues as I see it: 1) sheer cost, 2) there is so much power that it's wasted here in the US with our 65 MPH speed limits, and 3) all of those bells and whistles would be a nightmare to deal with outside of warranty. As it is, my friend is concerned about buying out his M3 lease due to some nagging issues.

I guess there's a forth issue. I wouldn't want to be seen driving one. My friends come from all different socio-economic backgrounds, and while I have a great career, I hesitate to show off money so flagrantly. To each his own on that...

Anyway, to get back to the topic. Any hope of an X1 with a manual transmission? Perhaps a limited-edition model down the line?

-James
Seattle, WA

Off-roading in my X3 on a Forest Service road in the Cascades.
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Unfortunately extremely doubtful. BMW, like most car companies is headed in the other direction and offering fewer MT options. The demand for MT's is tiny these days and probably even smaller for the SUV market than for sedans.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM

X1 with a manual transmission in the US?

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I've narrowed my choice down to a manual VW GTI or an automatic BMW X1. I'll continue driving my manual X3 as long as I can, but eventually I'll be forced to choose between ground clearance and shifting my own gears. Unless the Porsche Cajun comes along...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Not gonna happen. BMW, like everyone else, is moving in the direction of fewer MT offerings. For starters, there's the obvious market demand or lack thereof. Secondly, it can only hurt their corporate ø fuel consumption ratings since they don't score as well on the EPA test cycle.

May I suggest the VW Golf/GTI or the Ford Focus (although the clutch takeup is a bit abrupt) or the Fiesta ST.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Not gonna happen. BMW, like everyone else, is moving in the direction of fewer MT offerings. For starters, there's the obvious market demand or lack thereof. Secondly, it can only hurt their corporate ø fuel consumption ratings since they don't score as well on the EPA test cycle.
That's where I'm headed. The current Golf-R or next-gen GTI look really good. Fully loaded, the GTI comes in at $30K vs. $45 for a comparably equipped X1 (xenons, sports package, sports seats, navigation, premium stereo, leather, etc.) You can argue about "driving dynamics" but for an incremental 50% in cost, the X1 has to drive significantly better, not just marginally better at the limit.

If BMW offered a manual in the 35xDrive trim only, and charged a $2K premium, I'd pony up and get the X1. But I just can't bring myself to really enjoy an automatic. Better buy another manual while I still can!

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

For me the X1 makes no sense. The future DH-bike has to go outside regardless of SUV/sedan/Hatchback, so a crossover is not needed for me. The X1 has no real cargo space, no diesel, no manual gearbox, and isn't as up to date as the F-series BMWs. It drives very well, like the E90-series vehicle but then why not just buy a E90 or E91 in the first place? I mentioned this in my review many months back- the X1 is a brilliant vehicle but doesn't make any sense.

I'm waiting for the VW Golf TDI; the GTD has been confirmed for late 2015 but I can't wait that long. If Chevy puts the diesel into their Colorado pickup then I'll buy that. Otherwise its a Golf for me. I want to like the Ford Fiesta ST but I dunno......I want the torque for the mountains because otherwise it may be fun wringing the sh*t out of the 1,6 petrol but it's probably going to be a bit buzzy after awhile lol.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 07-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
For me the X1 makes no sense.
For me, its the opposite, and the X1 makes total sense.
Check the Ads that BMW has for them, they fit that exact persona.

A vehicle for a couple without kids, that are maybe weekend warriors, and love to drive and travel. Its a small SUV with Xdrive so winter driving is easy and safe.
To me, its a car that will find its way into many driveways.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
For me, its the opposite, and the X1 makes total sense.
Check the Ads that BMW has for them, they fit that exact persona.

A vehicle for a couple without kids, that are maybe weekend warriors, and love to drive and travel. Its a small SUV with Xdrive so winter driving is easy and safe.
To me, its a car that will find its way into many driveways.
I'm their target demographic as well. Young family, no kids just yet, getting a dog soon, and we like to get away and camp or go to the beach on the weekends. It's perfect for us. I'm a hatchback lover (last 6 cars have been hatches), it performs well enough for me, gets decent mileage and drives like a bmw, for me, it's a no brainer - I loved this car the moment I learned of its existence and love it even more now that I own one.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
... If Chevy puts the diesel into their Colorado pickup then I'll buy that.
Dodge is plunking the 3L V6 td (from the Grand Cherokee) into the Ram 1500, for delivery later this year.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
For me the X1 makes no sense. The future DH-bike has to go outside regardless of SUV/sedan/Hatchback, so a crossover is not needed for me. The X1 has no real cargo space, no diesel, no manual gearbox, and isn't as up to date as the F-series BMWs. It drives very well, like the E90-series vehicle but then why not just buy a E90 or E91 in the first place? I mentioned this in my review many months back- the X1 is a brilliant vehicle but doesn't make any sense.

I'm waiting for the VW Golf TDI; the GTD has been confirmed for late 2015 but I can't wait that long. If Chevy puts the diesel into their Colorado pickup then I'll buy that. Otherwise its a Golf for me. I want to like the Ford Fiesta ST but I dunno......I want the torque for the mountains because otherwise it may be fun wringing the sh*t out of the 1,6 petrol but it's probably going to be a bit buzzy after awhile lol.
Except of course you can't buy or lease a new E90 or E91 anymore. But the advantage of the X1 is the price and extra cargo space over the E90. For a family with a toddler (me) the slightly higher rear seats make buckling the child easier as well. And for those considering the F30 but disappointed with the new power steering, the xDrive version has the fast new engine and retains the HPS of the E90.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Dodge is plunking the 3L V6 td (from the Grand Cherokee) into the Ram 1500, for delivery later this year.
The Ram is too big, I want a mid-sized pickup, a segment which is currently dominated by the Tacoma and Nissan Frontier.

I "should" fit into the demographic of the X1: I'm single and in my mid-20s and do tons of outdoor activities (I do live right outside Asheville ), do tons of autobahn and rural driving on pictureque, windy mountain roads. But my bike won't fit in the X1 (so why even bother with a crossover?) , I don't trust the X1's suspension to hold up on the forest roads (aka potholes), and I really don't like the interior which is almost as bland as the E9x on which its based.

But to each his own. That's why the marketplace has a wide variety of vehicles for people to choose from to fit his/her needs.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The Ram is too big, I want a mid-sized pickup, a segment which is currently dominated by the Tacoma and Nissan Frontier.

I "should" fit into the demographic of the X1: I'm single and in my mid-20s and do tons of outdoor activities (I do live right outside Asheville ), do tons of autobahn and rural driving on pictureque, windy mountain roads. But my bike won't fit in the X1 (so why even bother with a crossover?) , I don't trust the X1's suspension to hold up on the forest roads (aka potholes), and I really don't like the interior which is almost as bland as the E9x on which its based.

But to each his own. That's why the marketplace has a wide variety of vehicles for people to choose from to fit his/her needs.
I don't think you are the X1 demographic at all. Even BMW markets the vehicle as a car not an SUV. They call it an SAV and categorize it as a car. It's nothing more than a slightly taller E91. The attraction is the price and for an enthusiast the HPS in all models except the sDrive28i.

Crossover's are not what you need. You need a true body on frame SUV or truck or maybe a Subaru.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Boy, don't know about that. The current Tacoma is as big or bigger than my older T100 (except for bed width I believe). Gets better mileage though.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Boy, don't know about that. The current Tacoma is as big or bigger than my older T100 (except for bed width I believe). Gets better mileage though.
Had a last-gen Chevy Colorado last year for a day as a rental when the X3 was getting its struts and lower control arms replaced, thought it was right-sized.

I've been saying this for years: if VW offered its Amarok in North America, I'd be first in line. A halfway decent interior, 2 litre diesel that makes up to 180PS and gets 33 US mpg. And you can get a 6-speed manual. Done.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
I am with all of you ! Manual would have me buying the X1 but now debating the Diesel AWD 3 series wagon which is everything I have ever wanted but no manual has kept me thinking? I own a JETTA Sport Wagon, manual diesel and love it but driving characteristics (Fun factor) obviously not great. Practical yes. I also have a 95 S6 manual, and Coupe from 1991 (Manual). I heard the paddle shifters are actually fast, and fun but afraid to spend the big bucks to find out I miss the clutch. Is there any chance of a diesel X1 as well? Any rumors
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderchaser View Post
Is there any chance of a diesel X1 as well? Any rumors
My SA said he heard that it was coming within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderchaser View Post
I own a JETTA Sport Wagon, manual diesel and love it but driving characteristics (Fun factor) obviously not great.
A friend took care of this with a DPF and cats delete and a Malone tune. WOAH!...t's really quick.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328, 911, Boxster
Agree with all about the X1 needing a manual. I know the take rate is low, and modern automated manuals (like the Porsche PDK) are faster, but if driver involvement is important to you, a true manual is essential. That even companies like BMW, Porsche and even Ferrari (all of which used to offer manuals across the line) are offering fewer and fewer manuals is a real shame!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
My E53 manual was a beast!
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: x1 x28i
Quote:
Tent camping trip with 4 people and enough stuff for the weekend. Plus I see your DH bike and raise you a FS tandem Makes perfect sense to me...

Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Tent camping trip with 4 people and enough stuff for the weekend. Plus I see your DH bike and raise you a FS tandem Makes perfect sense to me...

My bikes do not go on the top of any vehicle. Period. Way too much risk- I've heard enough horror stories of people forgetting they have a bike on top and driving under a hotel awning or ATM or garage door.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
My bikes do not go on the top of any vehicle. Period. Way too much risk- I've heard enough horror stories of people forgetting they have a bike on top and driving under a hotel awning or ATM or garage door.
umm. Ok. I've heard horror stories of people driving their car and getting run into on the freeway, and rear-ended on city streets so maybe I shouldn't drive at all

Only other way to haul a tandem would be with a trailer or with a truck. I'd rather use the X1 (we sold my wife's Tacoma) and run the "risk". I've been carrying bikes on my roof since the late 80's. Had one incident where I put the bike on when I was in a parking structure - doh. Whacked it but did only minor damage. Haven't done that since (and that was over 20 years ago).

you're probably right though...pretty dangerous to carry bikes on top of a vehicle

Last edited by nostatic; 10-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
umm. Ok. I've heard horror stories of people driving their car and getting run into on the freeway, and rear-ended on city streets so maybe I shouldn't drive at all
Yeah but in those cases, there's car insurance. When an expensive bike gets rammed into an overhead item, you're stuck fixing the bike at your own cost, and let's be honest, the likelihood of that happening is far greater than a collision on the highway. And unlike driving, when you run your bike into something, it's 100% your own fault and there's usually damage to the vehicle as well, which is something you're stuck fixing as well.

n the substantial group of riders I hang out and attend events with, extremely few people put their bikes on top. It's always a pickup truck or a hitch-mounted bike carrier. Go to any DH bike park during the season and you'll see what I mean. And to put costs into perspective, the front suspension on our bikes is more expensive than a pair of struts for the X3, sometimes all 4.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 10-19-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:

n the substantial group of riders I hang out and attend events with, extremely few people put their bikes on top. It's always a pickup truck or a hitch-mounted bike carrier. Go to any DH bike park during the season and you'll see what I mean. And to put costs into perspective, the front suspension on our bikes is more expensive than a pair of struts for the X3, sometimes all 4.
Never been to a DH bike park so the crowd there doesn't influence how I transport my bike. They also don't influence how I ride my bike which is good because I like to pedal uphill rather than take a chair lift

As for cost, a FS mtn tandem isn't exactly cheap...but whatever floats your boat. Actually the best riders I've ridden with have often had fairly mediocre gear. Victor Vincente comes to mind (rode with him a lot in the late 80's - early 90's). He would show up on one of his odd customs that he built in the early 80's with beaten components wearing cutoff jeans, a t-shirt, and an old engineers cap. And he'd smoke most everybody in the group on our dirt rides - which were usually between 20-50 miles and always included hike-a-bike sections. Ahh, my long-gone youth...
Old 10-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

What is this pedalling you speak of? It's lift, shuttle, or push up the mountain, right?

(Sorry for turning this into a bike thread. I'll stop, I promise)