Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Unhappy 2001 x5

2001 X5 dashboard lights are almost dead, I could not read any signs such as odometer reading or check this or that code. Please, I need assistance resolving this issue. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2001 E53
Atta,

Two things to check. One, you may have just a burned out bulb or two that is preventing you to read the messages. They are the ones located in the back of the Dashboard/Driver's console unit. Or secondly, you need to replace the pixel film for the console. There are several places that talk about this and several companies/people to do the replacement or show how to replace the film. I did mine and would recommend the group on EBay that already attached the film partially to the LCD unit Glass as this helped keep the film steady for the final mount and reduced a lot of time. Costs are around $100.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Talking 2001 X5 dashboard lights dead. Need help

Thanks for the advice. I will buy the dashboard bulbs first and if it did not work I will check out the pixel film.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM

The STIG US repsonse x5 dashboard lights gone

Hello The STIG-US,

I researched the Internet for dashboard speedometer and check engine lights and got confused. You said that I might just need bulds or I might also need pixel film for console attached to lcd unit glass. I did not understand this explanation after I saw different pixel clusters. I saw a remanufactured x5 cluster pixel. Also, I saw instrument cluster lcd display pixel by germanautorecycler at $100.00. Are all these the same part?

Please explain in a lay man's terms so I would not order the wrong part and could not return electrical parts.

Also, what about the ribborn cable? Is this needed, too?

Thanks a lot.

Atta
Old 09-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2001 E53
Atta,

The BMW X5 E53's have a pixel film for the information panel at the bottom of the Instrument Cluster. It informs the driver of the Mileage, outside Temp and the Messages (warning that the light is left on or doors ajar or the oil pressure is low, etc...) that the truck sends to the user at the center of that panel. This is comprised of a white module that holds the glass and film components. The glass is important as it actually contains the crystals for the LCD readout. The ribbon cable you spoke of is the the film I am referring too. This transfers the electrical current to the glass that activates the crystals to form the letters and numbers in the glass panel.

Trying to connect the ribbon/film from the cluster to the glass is a royal PITA. So if the ribbon cable is already attached to the glass for you, it helps tremendously in the replacement process IMO. Of course you can save a few bucks and just get the ribbon separately (non-attached) but the time and effort saved far exceeds the cost difference.

You will also notice that the ribbon/film will advertise as carbon or silver based. These are the contacts on the ribbon that touch/attach to the glass panel to send the electrical current. The glass is notched in the back and if held in a light you can see the contacts faintly running along the edge of the glass. The ribbon leads need to be in contact with them to make the glass work. The contacts on the film is usually carbon (OEM) and can wear out after some years. Hence the common issue with all BMW cars regardless of make during those early years (I think '99-08?) Anyway. The ribbons touting silver contacts instead of carbon is suppose to last longer as silver will not breakdown like the carbon ones. But silver is more expensive than carbon and so the prices of one silver based ribbon can be more than a set of 3-5 carbon based ribbons.

I would suggest getting the replacement glass with a silver based ribbon already pre-attached to the glass.

Also on these BMW's some do not have a NAV screen in the dashboard console. Instead they have a LCD readout panel. This panel is similar in structure to the Instrument cluster panel in design. I have the NAV screen so I never had to replace this.

Top Tip: if you do not re-use your glass panel, you can re-sell it on EBay to help recoup some of the costs of the repair.

You can also buy a re-built Instrument Cluster, whole. But keep in mind this has a new set of issues to be concerned with such as the loss of your original Odometer and the costs can be several hundred dollars. There are some fine you tube videos that show how to replace the pixel panel on a X5, and it may help enlighten you as to what is involved.

The repair really only needs a screw driver, a torx set, tape and some patience

Hope this helps.

- Henry
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM

I have a 2001 X5, 3.0.
The front right running light is out. Looks like there are a few things in the way to replace it.
Can anyone give some info on how to do it?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Zoli H

1. Plz start your own thread. Thread hi-jack makes it harder for anyone to help since people would get confused on the issue, especially when it's not related to the OP issue.

2. What headlight do you have on your X5? Halogen or Xenon?

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM

I thought this topic was about the 2001 X5 generally. I don't understand this "thread-hijack" thing ... (?!)
I posted a simple question that was not worthy of starting a new topic that goes dead after two answers.

Anyway, I replaced the light-bulb already, thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
FYI: this thread started by Atta to ask for help with problem on his/her dashboard light, if you read the first post. You came in asking question about running light. 2 different subject matters.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM

FYI dear tmv, I actually searched the site and concluded this was the best place to post my question without adding another topic to the endless list.
If the website moderator is okay with this then what is exactly your problem ?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Hi Zoli , tmv explained why it might be confusing to people , not necessarily a problem , but he is right .
I see why you are confused as well as the topic of this thread doesnt indicate the problem and it just says 2001 x5.

Im glad you took care of your issue
Feel free to start new threads if you cannot find an answer to your question when you search the forum , that would be the quickest way to get a reply about your question
cheers.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks for your advice tolgatt, will do.
I really enjoy this forum, sometimes I realize I spent hours here reading about all kinds of stuff that had nothing to do with my initial inquiry ...

Best
Zoli