BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E65-e66,n62 timing no special tools!

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  steveace.nz 
#1 ·
I have just got me engine back together again,and was quite proud after doing the timing on both sides,pressing the start button and started like a bought one,yeah.
I was going to make the timing tools after reading a good thread by'Gostra' (E-60 Forum)who made his own tools,after a great comment from 'bmwoem1'.
I made some cardboard tools to start with after getting some prints done at the shop of gostra's photo's,then i was going to move on to the steel version but after fitting these on the cams and thinking about what Gostra had said,i realised these tools were NOT needed.
If you go to 'wilson009's thread on 7 series DIY forum(how to replace your coolantpipe,etc)go to timing procedures,look at photo's 3 and 5 and you will see a reqtangle label on the baering cap in front of cam where timing tool is,the two flat sides off the cam where you see the tool cut out sitting on, should line up perfectly with the label,follow all wilson009's column,after doing all 4 cams and turning motor over 2 revs on the crankshaft nut only 1 of my cams were out,and you could see it was out about 5-7mm or 1/4 inch just by looking over that label.i loosened the front nut on that cam ,turned the cam on the hex nut so it was lined up again with label,and did front nut on cam again,turned motor over twice more by hand and all perfect.
make sure the cam lobes on cylinder 1 and 5 are pointing the right direction after tdc is set cyl 1,..1 o'clock, 7'oclock...cyl 5 ,1 o'clock. 10o'clock.(left to right)
Have now done alt bracket, all three timing cover gaskets,secondary air pressure pipe,blocked drain under cabin filter and e/box,air filter,oil change.....time to actually drive it horay!!
Thanks to 'wilson009' and 'keif' for their n62 bible like columns..LOL.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.