Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 M sport
better brake?

Hi,

Changing from three 3-series coupe and sedans to a F25 X3, I feel like the brake is "weak" relatively on the F25. After about two weeks and 600 miles of driving, there were a couple of instances got to my nerves when it took longer to stop than I expected. I understand the car is way heavier than the last E90 with the same HP output. I don't expect F25 to brake as good as the E90. However I want more brake power.

Did anyone change anything and getting good experience on brake feel or brake performance?

Fluid or pads?

Thanks
Will
2014 F25 N55 M sport
Ads by Google
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
Hi,

Changing from three 3-series coupe and sedans to a F25 X3, I feel like the brake is "weak" relatively on the F25. After about two weeks and 600 miles of driving, there were a couple of instances got to my nerves when it took longer to stop than I expected. I understand the car is way heavier than the last E90 with the same HP output. I don't expect F25 to brake as good as the E90. However I want more brake power.

Did anyone change anything and getting good experience on brake feel or brake performance?

Fluid or pads?

Thanks
Will

Hi, I also came from an e46 330, so I know what you mean about the difference. I can say that the brakes took a good amount of time for them to be fully effective: like over 1500 miles. I even did a bedding-in procedure when I first got my X3 and the brakes still were a little wishy-washy until some miles got run up.

That said, I can say that the first undercarriage upgrade I make will be some stronger steel-braided brake lines to help tighten up braking, and then when the time comes maybe a different brake pad compound, but I have no urgency for swapping out the pads. I've done an emergency brake once and I did get four wheels of ABS so they worked, the feel is just mushy.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I think you answer your own question, the X3 is much heavier than the E90. I have a F25 and a F10, the 535i is a bit heavier than the X3 but the 535i brakes much better than the X3. That's probably due to more pistons in the front brakes. You can always buy a big brake kit with more cylinders, which should help with the braking power. If you don't mind brake dust, you can always get a set of semi metallic pad to increase the braking performance as well.

Last edited by The X Men; 08-29-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you don't mind brake dust
If you do mind Brake Dust you're either not a BMW owner, or you have great wheel-cleaning skills, LOL.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
If you don't mind brake dust, you can always get a set of semi metallic pad to increase the braking performance as well.
I replaced the brakes on my 2002 3.0i Z3 a number of times over the past 11 years and 145,000 miles. I use Akebono ceramic pads and Brembo rotors. This vehicle came with really outstanding brakes and this combination does not appear to have effected brake performance in any way. In addition, there is no longer a dust problem.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I replaced the brakes on my 2002 3.0i Z3 a number of times over the past 11 years and 145,000 miles. I use Akebono ceramic pads and Brembo rotors. This vehicle came with really outstanding brakes and this combination does not appear to have effected brake performance in any way. In addition, there is no longer a dust problem.
Usually, when I replace semi-metallic pads with ceramic, I loose that initial bite when braking.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
better brake?

Quote:
Usually, when I replace semi-metallic pads with ceramic, I loose that initial bite when braking.
That is my experience as well. Ceramic pads dont perform well when cold. It's most noticeable for the first few stops during winter until the pads warm up

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 28i X3
I agree with the braking of the X3, I find it too soft/spongy, they do not seem to grab quickly. I thought it was a problem and I brought my X3 in for service but the dealer said they were ok and it was normal. I guess I will have to live with it, however I do not get any brake dust on my wheels which is good, not like my wife`s Mini Cooper S which has fantastic grabing brakes but a lot of brake dust!

2010 Mini Cooper S
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post
I agree with the braking of the X3, I find it too soft/spongy, they do not seem to grab quickly. I thought it was a problem and I brought my X3 in for service but the dealer said they were ok and it was normal. I guess I will have to live with it, however I do not get any brake dust on my wheels which is good, not like my wife`s Mini Cooper S which has fantastic grabing brakes but a lot of brake dust!
I think that is more of a function of the X3's braking system than the pads itself. My 535i's brake has a bit more of a bite to it on the top end, the pedal also seems more linear than the X3's. The X3 seems to be more on the bottom end. The 535i's brake pads seem to have the same material as the X3, no brake dust.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White F25 35i
It always seems to be the E series converts that complain about the X3 brakes.

For me, the X3 is my first BMW and I feel the brakes are more than adequate... I've also driven a few E46s before, and being used to my Acura and Mazda at the time, I felt the BMW brakes were really touchy and sensitive - in fact, I almost hit a parking curb when I switched back to my Acura because I was feathering the brake after getting used to the 3-series.

Just a matter of what you're used to ... you have to use more of the X3 brake pedal.

Now I wonder if it's an X3 thing, or if BMW is numbing their product line altogether with the F-series (electric power steering being the start of it).