Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Question BMW X1 Snap In vs. Bluetooth

Hey All,

I tried to do a search on this but it's a bit weird and i can't seem to find the right thread (if there is one..so i apologize)

I just ordered an X1 x28 M sport package and it has the ultimate package which pretty much includes everything.

My question is...

I have an Iphone 5 do i need the snap in adaptor in order to use BMW apps/connected drive? or can i do it over bluetooth? while on longer drives being able to snap it in seems nice most of the time i'm in the car for 15-20min and i'd rather just keep the phone in my pocket and connect with bluetooth....

is this possible? what functionality do you lose?

thanks,

Josh
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp12687 View Post
...I have an Iphone 5 do i need the snap in adaptor in order to use BMW apps/connected drive?
I believe that you don't need the adaptor. AFAIK, the only advantage to the adaptor is that the system then relays phone calls via the external sharkfin antenna, resulting in better reception. You might want to post on the audio forum to confirm.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Re: BMW X1 Snap In vs. Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I believe that you don't need the adaptor. AFAIK, the only advantage to the adaptor is that the system then relays phone calls via the external sharkfin antenna, resulting in better reception. You might want to post on the audio forum to confirm.
This is correct.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp12687 View Post
Hey All,

I tried to do a search on this but it's a bit weird and i can't seem to find the right thread (if there is one..so i apologize)

I just ordered an X1 x28 M sport package and it has the ultimate package which pretty much includes everything.

My question is...

I have an Iphone 5 do i need the snap in adaptor in order to use BMW apps/connected drive? or can i do it over bluetooth? while on longer drives being able to snap it in seems nice most of the time i'm in the car for 15-20min and i'd rather just keep the phone in my pocket and connect with bluetooth....

is this possible? what functionality do you lose?

thanks,

Josh
That feature doesn't work with BlueTooth. You need the USB interface cable.

Vince
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Rob Good

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 i35
Is there an Iphone 5 adapter?

I was browsing the catalog at the dealer today and it listed 4/4s but not 5.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1, Lexus HS & ES
iPhone 5 Adapter

My Dealer advised that the iPhone 5 adapter is not yet available....
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Rob Good

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 i35
The whole adapter issue is strange. I'm lucky, I guess, that I only have a 4S. But there are two adapters for that: The cell phone recharge and signal retransmission via sharkfin (which I think uses bluetooth). The other version provides a path for media on your phone. That might and I stress might, uses a wired link which would be preferable to Bluetooth. Using BT adds a stage or two of electronics and delay; you can hear the result in poorer quality phone conversations. It is now illegal, but in my experience calls are clearer NOT going through the BT adapter.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars
We use iPhone 5s via a Lightning/USB cable and it works fine with connected drive assuming you have the BMW Apps option in the electronics (which was an extra option on top of the Ultimate Package for 2013, not sure about 2014).

The snap in connector provides some cooling and inductive coupling to the car antenna to improve signal strength plus other abilities. As pointed out they have yet to release an iPhone 5 snap in adaptor (probably because of the complexity in the new Lightning connector). As Apple have just announced a 5S, maybe we will get one now, as the 5 and 5S are physically the same so they will both fit the same adapter assuming there are no electronic or software differences.

It has been a long wait and made the extra cost of the snap in adaptor pointless.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 09-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
I have the adapter and use it in my X3 with my iPhone 4s.

It seems like the only thing it gets you is the improved reception and a better iTunes interface. I just ordered a 5S and I wouldn't get it even if it was available. Definitely not worth it.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
taxpro

Mein Auto: BMW 540iA and X1 xDrive35
With a 2014 X1 with Tech Package, what is the best way to connect an iPhone 5 or 5s, and what are the limitations compared with using an iPhone 4 with the snap-in adapter?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrofton View Post
With a 2014 X1 with Tech Package, what is the best way to connect an iPhone 5 or 5s, and what are the limitations compared with using an iPhone 4 with the snap-in adapter?
There is no snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrofton View Post
As mentioned above, there is no iPhone 5 adapter available. In my X3, I use the iPhone 4 adapter with my 4S phone and there appears to be two advantages over just using the white USB adapter.

1. Significantly better iTunes interface
2. Better phone reception using the car's antenna

I also tried to connect my wife's iPhone 5 to the iPhone 4 adapter using an Apple 30-pin to Thunderbolt cable. I couldn't get the above two features to work; i.e. it was just like connecting to the USB port.

I'm upgrading to the 5S and there's no way that I'd buy an iPhone 5 adapter if it was available.