Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
2003 745li No start no Obd communication

OK, where to start... I recently purchased a hail damaged 2003 745li . The back window was blown out and there was water in the trunk. After drying it out and going through the vehicle I found the E-brake module was rusted into a blob, so I disconnected it for now. Radio module in trunk appears to be shot as it got some water in it. all that aside most features work. ie. anti theft soft close doors, lighting ect..BUT... it cranks but doesnt start.
No water got on DME or any units up front. At first i thought it was DME EWS sync. But im not so sure now. Check engine light does not illuminate at all and I cannot access DME module or Trans module or abs with modus. However I can get into Power module and airbags, instrument cluster. so no f can comm to obd2 conn. but im able to access body comm. (sorry if my terms are off, was a 20 year honda tech, now sold on BMW) I've tried various means of communicating to DME, I used a passthrough pro device and various programs like carsoft. none seem to find any communication. So far modus with euro pack had mild success. h and L can have power and dont appear to be grounded. I have no injector pulse and no ignition pulse from dme. Power is ok from IVM. I traced all powers and most grounds. All fuses front and rear and IVM are ok (unless there is hidden fuse i know not of). Dme does adjust throttle plates when i step on gas pedal so there is limited function there. Fuel pump runs at all times with ignition on. I also get a key accepted message randomly. 3 trans lights flash and im getting multiple errors. I did replace battery as old one was dead and reset power module with new battery info.so to recap:
1. no check engine light activity
2. No injection pulse but do have power there
3. no ignition pulse but do have power.
4. no obd comm with trans, dme or abs
5. fuses good
6. body functions work.
7. water intrusion in trunk ( I think this is were problem started) maybe..
8. e-brake module destroyed from water, removed right now.
9. radio , nav and amp appear to have gotten wet.
10. optical system seems to work
11. engine cranks but no start
12. communication appears good up to gateway module, however it appears not to be passing on any dme , trans, abs info.

Ok thats all I can pull from my week of diagnostic hell. BTW I tried to d/l ISTA from bmw but that was another hell. (multiple technical issues)
If anyone is local I could use some help.
I'm about to tow it to BMW and pay out the wazzooo....
Anyway hope this is enought diag info, lemme know if i can add anything.
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760 Li
He bro, just out of curiosity how many miles and how $$ did you pay for it?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
DME and EGS ( transmission) is on the P-CAN bus...so far all the modules you mentioned that you cannot communicate with are on the P-CAN bus. The ZGM central module is responsible for communication between the various bus networks in the car. ODB connector is on the ZGM so seem like you have some communication.

Maybe you have a problem with the ZGM module...if your P-CAN bus cannot be reached by other modules like CAS or other modules on the byteflight bus then your car will not start.

ZGM gateway module is located in the passenger footwell...maybe you can find a used one at a junk yard. You will have to program your new vin to the used ZGM module before you can use it.

I know you're a tech and I commend you for takin this on but these cars are electrical nightmares that not even BMW can diagnose most of the time when things really go wrong. The techs at BMW just change things until they stumble of a fix....when these cars are under warranty it's no big deal...but when youre paying that's not a good thing. Avoid the dealership ar all cost.

Last edited by DFEL750I; 03-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Wade,
I have no clue what this guy right here ^^^^ said. But whatever it is, sounds quite informative.

I suggest that you take immediate action and befriend him for his expertise in your 'flood 7' project as he will definitely come in handy.

Also, stay away from the 'stealer'. You are way better off troubleshooting your issues by yourself.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 PM

BTW I paid 5700 for the vehicle and it has 105k miles on it, so I have a few thousand I can dump into it.

I was thinking the ZGM may be the issue, I will check it out.

Last edited by wademan71; 03-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Hey btw where exactlyl is the zgm, is it under the carpet. close to firewall? left right?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
I really don't know how to help but out of curiosity how come you did not put that $5700.00 + whatever you planned on adding in into a running car? As stated before these cars can be a nightmare especially in the condition you bought it in. Any way BEST of luck I will be monitoring the thread cause I am very curious of the out come.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 PM

The main reason is I cant touch a 2003 745li for under 12,500. Also I'm not afraid of electrical, it has been my bread and butter for 20 years. Ill have this car in tip top shape for less than 8000.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Ok found the no communication problem. It appears that when the back window was shattered that water got the radio tuner wet. It appear that the communication wires were shorted to ground due to corrosion. I unplugged the tuner and all engine obd communication came back.
The EWS is throwing a manipulation code so it still wont start. Now I just need to sync the EWS and DME. Waiting on cable I ordered to go with my INPA software.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
2003 745li WONT START!,PUSHES KEY OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wademan71 View Post
Ok found the no communication problem. It appears that when the back window was shattered that water got the radio tuner wet. It appear that the communication wires were shorted to ground due to corrosion. I unplugged the tuner and all engine obd communication came back.
The EWS is throwing a manipulation code so it still wont start. Now I just need to sync the EWS and DME. Waiting on cable I ordered to go with my INPA software.
Hello sir, I have the exact same car and it wont start called the dealer and explained the symptoms they said bad key or DME/EWS alignment issue did you ever get to do this?

If so what will I need to re-align the DME and EWS?

Thank you.