Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Squeaky door

My X3 28i is just 3 months old. It is starting to develop squeaky noise from driver's door side. Worse when driving up/down driveways in multi-story carparks, slow drive over uneven surfaces or when turning left/right. Have read in other forums that it may be the rubber seals of the doors rubbing against the metal surface of the pillar. Any suggestions/cures?
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Squeaky door

Gummi Pflege
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_BMWM=ON

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 PM

Unhappy Squeaky door

Thanks. But Gummi Pflege is no longer recommended by BMW due to inconsistencies in results and possible harm to the rubber. Any other solutions? Does replacing the door rubber seals work? Seems like only the driver door side. Wife can't detect any from front passenger side. I am very šllergic" to irritating car noise...must get rid of it since I am the driver.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i
Mine developed a creaky seal noise on the driver's side after about three months. It was right at ear-level and was very audible on any road surface that was not perfectly smooth. It almost seemed as if the door wasn't drawn tight enough against the latch - you could hear the door flexing against the seal, especially when going over expansion joints on the freeway.

My dealer inspected it and said that the detailer got wax on the seal when it was prepped for delivery. They cleaned the seal and then treated it with a rubber conditioner. On the way home from the dealer I could still hear it faintly. Unfortunately, it has been getting louder in the six weeks since. There are no visible defects on the seal that I can see.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM

It appears to be a chronic problem with a number of BMW models. Been searching the forums for a solution...none perfect. Some even suggest vaseline! Two products have been suggested of late of late: Carbaflo (?endorsed by BMW) and a lesser known SailKote (by MarineWest in UK). I might bring mine in to BMW service centre to see how they suggest to eliminate the problem
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
303 Protectant is a great rubber/seal treatment.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 05-18-2013, 02:54 AM

Unhappy

Thanks for the info. Will give the item a consideration. It sounds like whatever is used over the rubber seals, it must be silicone and/or petroleum free. Otherwise, the synthetic rubber will not last. I would have thought that BMW would have solved this squeaky door seal problem that plague its older models. Will see what the local BMW service engineers advice. BTW, anyone knows where to get carbaflo online?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 2.8i
Squeaky door

On my '08 X3 I could eliminate it by tweaking the way I closed my windows. After raising windows and getting that "jam tight" seal, I'd just back it off a tiny bit- not enough to break the wind seal but not jammed shut. I know it sounds crazy but it worked.

Can't hurt to try.

My new 2013, so far, is tight as a drum and no squeaking.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 PM
2011 X3 35i

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Driver's side passenger door squeak...fixed

Driver side passenger door squeaked on my 2011 x3 35i at around 12K miles. Took to dealer. They adjusted door latch mechanism to tighten gap. Squeak gone.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM

While it is under warranty, I better let my local BMW service centre handle the problem first and see if there are any major problem they might have to fix like re-alignment of the door or door latch. This will be documented in my car service records. This is an important step to ensure that there is no dispute i.e. the squeaky noise is a manufacturing/assembling defect and not a result of improper use or maintenance. I'll report on the progress with time...and I suspect may take some months to see if the squeaks are eliminated permanently.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM

An update...the squeaky door noise on the driver's side door became more irritating as the temperature soared recently. It is not particularly loud and my wife says that I am just too sensitive. But I could no longer bear with it and decided to check my car in last week to sort out the problem. The BMW service advisor test drive the car in a multi-storey carpark and heard the noise. He seems to know what the problem was and reassured me it would be an easy fix. He explained that the new rubber seals around the door rub against the metal body panel when the car is moving and rocking from side to side. The engineers pasted some transparent film along the metal part that comes in contact with the door seals, from front to back and on both sides. The squeaky noise is no longer audible and I am a happy man. Now I can drive in peace and enjoy a pleasant ride.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 AM

It's Day 4. It was about 30 degree C when I drove the car out of the car-park. Ha Ha HA...all smiles for now cos' no squeaky noise!!! My wife laughed at me and still insist I am too sensitive.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 AM

6 weeks on and I am happy to report the occasional and minor squeaks. The problem is largely gone otherwise.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 PM

Squeaks audible again, particularly on hot days when I start driving the car although better than before. Again, it is the slow drive over uneven surfaces or sharp turn at corners with X3 rocking from side to side. On the road with the interior cooled after some distance, the squeaks become less audible. No problems on the highway. Mine is definitely the door seal against the top of the B-pillar. Thinking to try some chemical treatment. Any recommendations?