Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 Black 2.8 2000 Roadstr
Final Stage Blower Resistor Replacement

Recently I had to replace the FSR (final stage resistor) in my Z3. Checking out this site gave me the help I needed. Many thanks to all who took the time to document the process.

Removing the glove box and wide plastic panel below it went without a hitch. That darn black air duct in the footwell was a real problem. As others have noted the FSR is behind another module, and both of these units are behind the air duct. For the life of me I could not figure out how to get that air duct off so I could better see. But as the users here have pointed out it is not necessary. So I wanted to reaffirm that, the air duct does not need to be removed. It is a real pain, but you can remove the two torx screws from the module blocking the FSR, swing that module out of the way, and then finally be able to see the FSR, all without removing the air duct I was told that the FSR was also held in by two torx screws, but I did not find that to be the case. My FSR was held in by a snap on the right. Pushing a screw driver in there to push the snap back allowed the FSR to come out (albeit with lots of tugging - for some reason it doesn't just easily slide out - I don't why there is so much friction).

Then with the FSR out and dangling I unplugged the electrical connection (by squeezing down on the two latches to free their rear catches).

There is really only one way I can contribute to the knowledge on this subject. And that is, when I was putting the new FSP back it would now easily slide in far enough for the snap to catch it. So I took a wide screw driver and a small hand sledge hammer. I positioned the screw driver on the side of the FSR and gave its handle a gentle tap from my sledge hammer and it popped right in and the snap snapped. I did the same on the left side (although there is no snap there). That seemed to pop in the left side also.

Thanks again to all who contributed.
Ads by Google