Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to sybronis
Mein Auto: 95 540i
chasing a coolant leak, lots of ???

So, my thermostat housing broke, fixed that. One of the ends off of the overflow tank broke this morning so I'm going to replace it too, my first question is why all the plastic parts they just degrade over time and catastrophically fail guaranteed, and what are the lines off the back of the intake manifold, there is a Y fitting there, and what is the thing on the side next to the fire wall, some sort of pump? I'm getting parts grok RM European and I can't seem to find all the lines I need as I would to replace most of the coolant lines.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 AM

And there is a leak coming from that Y fitting off of the intake manifold...can't tell if its right they're or something else near there. Also, when I fill it there is a heavy leak from the underside when I fill with coolant. Can't tell what that is I don't trust the BMW jack enough to climb underneath but its about porting off the Trans pan the rear of it. After filing it and driving and doing I can hear the hiss of the leak but I can't pinpoint it.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
Realoem.com that will give you all parts.
I f you fill it and a heavy leak, i think the coolant tank may be cracked. I have a leak on my trans cooler hose(on top of trans) that leaks, check yours.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
BMW recommend overhaulling the cooling system every 10 years, they also have a milage stat but i cant remember it. an E34 is around twice that now and usually still on the original stuff. you can replace one part, its not uncommon another weaker part then gives way etc.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 PM

The metal inside the plastic outlet for the tank broke clean off....new one on order. Still leaks other than that too.