Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3
To Extended Warranty or Not?

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I saw the preowned buying guide but I did not see the answer to my question in it.

I am completing the purchase of a 2011 M3 tomorrow (mineral white, black/red interior, comp, premium, convenience, DCT, you name it this car has it) with 26,000 miles. The factory warranty is still in tact until Dec 2014. I am wondering if purchasing an extended warranty is needed. I'm sure repairs can be rather costly, but what I have found on vehicles in the past is that crap that breaks usually isn't covered in the first place, or I just waste money because the cars never have issues.

Look forward to any insight that you guys and gals can provide.

Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
How long do you plan on keeping the car? And how many miles a year do you plan to drive?

The gamble is always there with extended warranties -- it's basically a hedge whether you spend a couple thousand up-front to avoid several thousand in the future. Things I see being posted here and at m3post.com include the seat belt extender, idle control valve, throttle actuator, and broken valve springs. There have been some older models that have shown worn rod bearings which are a multi-thousand dollar job. DCT issues seem to be rare, but you're out a couple thousand if you need to change out the clutch.

Personally, I'd say it's a good insurance policy but make sure the policy covers these types of claims, esp. if you plan on keeping your car for a number of years and plan to drive it daily.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
How long do you plan on keeping the car? And how many miles a year do you plan to drive?

The gamble is always there with extended warranties -- it's basically a hedge whether you spend a couple thousand up-front to avoid several thousand in the future. Things I see being posted here and at m3post.com include the seat belt extender, idle control valve, throttle actuator, and broken valve springs. There have been some older models that have shown worn rod bearings which are a multi-thousand dollar job. DCT issues seem to be rare, but you're out a couple thousand if you need to change out the clutch.

Personally, I'd say it's a good insurance policy but make sure the policy covers these types of claims, esp. if you plan on keeping your car for a number of years and plan to drive it daily.
Thanks for all the info, you hit my concerns right on the head.

I drive a max of 8,000 miles per year and this will be my daily driver. I plan on keeping the car for at least 3 years (that's been my average) but maybe longer. The M3 is my dream car, so I'm really excited about getting it and keeping it. I just don't want my dream to turn into a nightmare.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Personally I'd get it just for the extra peace of mind for the engine and DCT. In the off-chance you have a coil or a rod bearing issue, you're looking at a bill that you definitely don't want to be stuck with.

But don't buy it until you actually need it -- meaning if you have 2 more years of warranty, you have 2 years before you have to buy a plan B. Obviously in the dealer's best interest to sell you the extended based on fear, uncertainty and doubt. You've got time.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM
It stings the nostrils!

Mein Auto: LRP Edition M3 and 328i
So no CPO? Can you ask them to CPO it for you? That would get you the warranty and might save you some $$. They'll charge you extra for the CPO of course but it might be worth it.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Personally I'd get it just for the extra peace of mind for the engine and DCT. In the off-chance you have a coil or a rod bearing issue, you're looking at a bill that you definitely don't want to be stuck with.

But don't buy it until you actually need it -- meaning if you have 2 more years of warranty, you have 2 years before you have to buy a plan B. Obviously in the dealer's best interest to sell you the extended based on fear, uncertainty and doubt. You've got time.
Great idea to wait until the factory warranty is up to get the extended. Thank you very much for that! Would I just go back to the dealer to get it taken care of, or would I pick it up from some aftermarket company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
So no CPO? Can you ask them to CPO it for you? That would get you the warranty and might save you some $$. They'll charge you extra for the CPO of course but it might be worth it.
No CPO unfortunately, I'm not getting this one from a BMW dealership. I am working with a dealership I have bought a number of cars from and always have a great experience.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellafied View Post
Great idea to wait until the factory warranty is up to get the extended. Thank you very much for that! Would I just go back to the dealer to get it taken care of, or would I pick it up from some aftermarket company?
IMO a BMW factory warranty would be the way to go. You do need to purchase it before the original factory warranty expires.

So a couple weeks before expiration shop around for the best deal by e-mail. You can purchase from any USA BMW dealer. The warranty is good nation wide.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

Take the vin# to a BMW dealer now to make sure all the maintenance (required to qualify for extended warranty purchase) has been performed. Also check if their is any recall work that needs to be performed. Verify the in service date on the vehicle. That's when the warranty period started.

Last edited by Norm37; 09-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
IMO a BMW factory warranty would be the way to go. You do need to purchase it before the original factory warranty expires.

So a couple weeks before expiration shop around for the best deal by e-mail. You can purchase from any USA BMW dealer. The warranty is good nation wide.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

Take the vin# to a BMW dealer now to make sure all the maintenance (required to qualify for extended warranty purchase) has been performed. Also check if their is any recall work that needs to be performed. Verify the in service date on the vehicle. That's when the warranty period started.
This is great info, thank you so much! It looks like this has to be purchased within 45 months or 45,000 miles of the in-service date.

I am looking at the CARFAX and it shows the vehicle was titled on 03/11/2011. Last maint was done in May at 23,000 miles (oil and filter and A/C recharge). I will check with a BMW dealership to get more information and find out when I need to make the warranty purchase and how much it will run.

Last edited by hellafied; 09-09-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellafied View Post
I am looking at the CARFAX and it shows the vehicle was titled on 03/11/2011. Last maint was done in May at 23,000 miles (oil and filter and A/C recharge). I will check with a BMW dealership to get more information and find out when I need to make the warranty purchase and how much it will run.
Be sure and check the in service date as it can be different than the titled date.

The selling dealer could have punched it in-service for incentive purposes before it was ever sold.

Last edited by Norm37; 09-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Be sure and check the in service date as it can be different than the titled date.

The selling dealer could have punched it in-service for incentive purposes before it was ever sold.

Called the local BMW dealership and validated that it was 12/27/2010, which puts the warranty out at 12/28/2014. I will need to go in around July or August of next year at the latest to ensure that I can pick up the EVP from BMW.

I'm thinking the gold is going to be my best best, however the platinum does cover all those expensive electronic components. My main concerns are the EDC and DCT as I know those can rack up monster price tags if they require work.

The prices are a little ridiculous if I expand to 7/70k. They stated somewhere in the $3900 range for gold when I called them up (but that was just a guess/estimate). For that price something major better break!

Looks like everything else is a go for me on the M3. They did some minor cosmetic work, fixing some rock chips on the front bumper, so I have to wait for the paint to cure before I take delivery. Tomorrow mid morning or early afternoon I will be the proud and excited owner of a car I have wanted since I was a teenager!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Just talked to my dealer about a BMW extended warranty for my 2011 M3. The Platinum package was something like $5,300!! Am going to get quotes from third-party vendors but may take my chances. I have my insurance through USAA and I have heard great things about their extended warranty, including it's price. But have not really started looking as I am covered until Oct 2014 under the original warranty.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Just talked to my dealer about a BMW extended warranty for my 2011 M3. The Platinum package was something like $5,300!!
Ouch... so warranty + maintenance probably close to 9K?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Ouch... so warranty + maintenance probably close to 9K?
Yes, sounds like a fair estimate though I didn't get a quote on the maintenance. Figure I just don't put enough miles on the car to make the maintenance package worth the price.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Yes, sounds like a fair estimate though I didn't get a quote on the maintenance. Figure I just don't put enough miles on the car to make the maintenance package worth the price.
That's the same situation that I am in and that my wife ran into with her A5. <8k miles per year makes certain incentives not as great as they are for others.

Let me know what you hear back from USAA. I am a member as well and I'd like to know what kind of options and pricing they have.