Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 525i
Finally fixed my transmission on my 91 525i.

I kept on getting the trans program warning light after the car was warmed up then the car would not shift out of 3rd gear so I took it to my local shop which is normally very good and fair. I told them from everything I had read I thought it was the TRANSMISSION speed sensor or band apply solenoid. So the dummies changed the speed sensor located on the axle and not the transmission speed sensor. So then they changed it back and told me the code said it was the kick down switch. I told them I didn't think so but told them to do it since they were only going to charge me 164. When I got the car back after 15 mins of driving the problem started up. I brought it back but this time they told me they were going to send it to their transmission guy who owned a shop and did all their tranny work. To make a long story short he said the tranny was bad and needed to be replaced. I said BS. I got my car back and changed the band apply solenoid like I told them in the first place and so far the problem seems to have gone away. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Photojunky; 08-04-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Yay!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
band apply solenoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojunky View Post
I kept on getting the trans program warning light after the car was warmed up then the car would not shift out of 3rd gear so I took it to my local shop which is normally very good and fair. I told them from everything I had read I thought it was the TRANSMISSION speed sensor or band apply solenoid. So the dummies changed the speed sensor located on the axle and not the transmission speed sensor. So then they changed it back and told me the code said it was the kick down switch. I told them I didn't think so but told them to do it since they were only going to charge me 164. When I got the car back after 15 mins of driving the problem started up. I brought it back but this time they told me they were going to send it to their transmission guy who owned a shop and did all their tranny work. To make a long story short he said the tranny was bad and needed to be replaced. I said BS. I got my car back and changed the band apply solenoid like I told them in the first place and so far the problem seems to have gone away. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
What and where is the band apply solenoid?
I have similar problem and replaced the transmission speed sensor, no help.
Oh, I'm very new here
Hi
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Remove your transmission fluid pan, then your transmission filter. Then towards the rear of the pan you will see a small solonoid with a wire going to it and a pin holding it in. Remove the electrical carefully, mine was brittle, then remove the pin. It is an easy job but messy because you will be draining fluid. Pm me the result if you do it.
This is what it looks like. http://www.amazon.com/4L30E-Transmis.../dp/B00CBFMXG6
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM

And what is it? From my understanding it downshifts the tranny from 4th and 3rd to 2nd.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Der Sturm Uberdoktor

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Nice work!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
The solonoid works the band type brake that stops the gear housing spinning. This 'changes gear'. Only 2 gears involved, not three. Google planet and sun gears and see how it works.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 91 525I
Not sure if I am hurting anything or not, but when my transmission program light comes on, I just stop, turn the car off for 10 seconds, restart and the light goes out and everything is "normal" until the next times. Transmission Program light comes on sporadically (maybe two times a week, sometimes longer).
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Mine was doing exactly that but it was also locking in third gear. I'd turn it off and wait a couple then it would work for a while. If you've never changed your transmission fluid I start there. Can't hurt.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 525i E34 Touring
random trans program notification

lots of electronic reasons this could be :-)
may just be spades on connectors and relays - the gear selector connection under the panel around the gearstick down to the solenoids on the exterior and in the box having bad connections
(if your box goes ping anytime it may be the gear selector or gate button on the stick, or the sport economy button connectors/relays or on the trail from the throttle and gear control to the ECM from under bonnet to trans - usually down the trans end connectors between the ECM and trans- even worth cleaning the relays under the bonnet by the fuses and in the passenger side wall or behind glove) the 3rd gear one a bit more serious to look at as protection mode is always worth getting a computer plugged in for fault codes - and more likely damaging if you persist with
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM

According to the shop mine was giving the wrong code, I can't remember what they told me. The transmission shop they sent it to said the same thing. So I looked up the problem on the Internet and also looked up the specific transmission also used in many other vehicles and started with the easiest and cheapest issues and got lucky.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 AM

I am goint to try the band apply solenoid next.
Here is what i've done so far:
replaced gear shifter thing under the console, electrical about 3" long and 1/2" wide
replaced trans speed sensor
relaced fluid, filter

it is running a bit warm so i'm going to replace thermostat, water pump
oh, also my auxiliary fan does not work, so replacing that too
that should cool things down a bit, i know heat is the enemy to engine and tranny
any help getting good prices on any of the above mentioned would be appreciated
Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM

it worked

I finally got it installed, after 4 weeks and no problems, it's fixed :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 525i E34 Touring
was it the band solenoid?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliesdad View Post
was it the band solenoid?
Yes it was, the low band solenoid, cost about $80 on eBay.
It is just under the trans filter.
Glenn
Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Angry i'm back

Well, it's been a few months and it started to happen again, just as bad. I replased a lot of cooling issues, no help. Could the solenoid have gone bad again? Maybe the wires going to it? I'm at a loss.Aaaarrrggg!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM

My transmission finally went as well, and the horn stopped working, and the headlights stopped working, and the stereo, and the air bag light... I sold that piece of junk for $600 bucks. It was the first BMW I owned that fell apart like that. Oh well.