Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
I recommend not struggling with it. Odds are it will come out with the filter. If not just reuse the old one.
Good observation Brian and Dave. I just received the parts so I had a chance to take a look at the part you were talking about. If those "rubbery" neck pieces don't come out, I will prob re-use to avoid complications...

I'll get the fluid tomorrow and will do the change next Sat... will UPDATE when I am done.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Just make sure you do the transfer case fluid before anything else, see the transfer case thread for details.

Damn, 2010 thread! Id do the transfer case again by now LOL.

Last edited by maxeaus; 01-16-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Max, I already did TC. Now focusing exclusively on ATF fluid + filter change + difffs.

Okay so as far as tools, it seems I need:

* 14 MM Hex for the Front and Rear Differentials

* T45 Torx and T40 Torx for the ATF pan.

* 10 MM for the ATF Pan bolts

And other miscellanous tools for the under engine cover, etc.

I think I'm pretty set for now, excited to get this over with soon.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I posted torque values for pan bolts in my notes when I did it. Pretty easy overall!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I posted torque values for pan bolts in my notes when I did it. Pretty easy overall!
I read that as well, I think it was 22nm right?..... but I am thinking more or less that this could be tighten by feel. The bolts are small and there's just not much to tighten as long as it's done consistently and even...

Thoughts
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
My local napa had it in stock last weekend when I stopped in. They also had Pentosin ATF1 that cross references bmw part number 83229407807....but I think that one is for the zf transmission.
I went to NAPA today and they didn't have a good number of choices.... now I did notice they have the Pentosin which I was very attracted to until I realized that it is for ZF trannies.

I also confirmed under my car that I do have the GM tranny and the P/N under the pan has been superseeded by DEX-VI.

I usually hate indecisiveness from people but I am struggling to make a final choice. My local AAParts has the Castrol Multi-import ATF which apparently is recommended for the Texaco spec but I have not made it my choice just yet. I did notice that the fluid was typical ATF Red color where I have seen other people getting the Texaco fluid (back a few years ago) and it was darker than red. Seems almost brownish in color.

You mentioned that you'd rather not used DEX-VI, is there a reason why? Given that BMW has superseded my p/n with DEX-VI, I am feeling a little more compelled to use it ...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

My vote is the LM from Bav Auto. Not Dex VI certified but recommended by Bav Auto and working well so far!

Or go with your Castrol choice!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Really you will not go wrong with any if the three.

My top choice would be castrol though, unless you are planning to do multiple changes over the next 1,000 miles or so to flush the old fluid out of the torque converter. If that's the case, then I would use dex 6 or redline d6.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Yes, I think that's the point.

DEX VI may claim to be downward compatible with the original fluid in a 2004 - 06 model, but unless you are having a complete power flush done, probably best to use something known to be closer to the original fluid.

In may be perfectly fine to do a drain and fill with DEX VI, but thinking about 2 fluids mixing together, it just seems better if they are as similar as possible in properties, additives, weight and even color (but that may be immaterial).
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Yes, I think that's the point.

DEX VI may claim to be downward compatible with the original fluid in a 2004 - 06 model, but unless you are having a complete power flush done, probably best to use something known to be closer to the original fluid.

In may be perfectly fine to do a drain and fill with DEX VI, but thinking about 2 fluids mixing together, it just seems better if they are as similar as possible in properties, additives, weight and even color (but that may be immaterial).
And I think that's a very valid concern Super and Brian.

I have decided to pursue the DEX-VI option and then do a second fill within 2000 miles to get the old fluid out. I chose DEX-VI for several reasons:

1) First and foremost it is what GM and BMW recommends. I think there's a conflict of interest between GM/BMW and other fluid manufacturers. BMW/GM are in the business of actually making and selling vehicles/transmissions which gives them a better edge when it comes to "what" to recommend to the user. While other brands (Castrol, Valvoline, etc) may work similarly, their goal is to grab as much of the market is possible thus their interest is to be as universal as possible.

2) GM's sheet indicates that DEX-VI is the exclusive upgrade to previous GM fluids. GM states that it is UPWARDS but not backwards compatible, I need not worry about that since I am not "downgrading" per se.

3) DEX-VI is the GM choice for new transmissions, and it's more universally available.

4) A critical point to me is that, according to GM, DEX-VI has a strong and long lifetime period. I am concerned that switching to a more universal fluid will force me to change the fluid in greater intervals than needed.

5) Finally, my substantial (and infinitely long) research gives me the impression that MOST owners are okay regardless of their choice of ATF. I have read great success with Redline, Castrol, LM, Mobile1, etc... Those that have used DEX-VI have also found their transmission to be working just fine after the change.

Thus, after beating a dead horse a million times, I think I have made my final choice. I will upgrade everyone once I am done with the procedure and hopefully I'll take some nice pictures.

I cannot thank you all enough for the vivid discussion, everyone has provided great detail and input that I hope others will also used when making their decision.

Last edited by awdrev; 01-17-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM

Your friends shop might have a trans power flush machine. I have used them before and they work great (not the x3 though). Essentially what you do is disconnect the trans cooler return line and hook up the machine to take the old fluid out while new fluid gets pumped back in while the engine is idling. They typically run off of the shop air compressor.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-17-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Your friends shop might have a trans power flush machine. I have used them before and they work great (not the x3 though). Essentially what you do is disconnect the trans cooler return line and hook up the machine to take the old fluid out while new fluid gets pumped back in while the engine is idling. They typically run off of the shop air compressor.
Interesting, I'll ask my bud but I was under the impression that these trannys hate the "flushing" procedure. What I was thinking is to do a drain/fill, drive for about 50 miles, and then do the full change, etc.

That should get most of it out.

Alternatively, I was thinking to unplug the cooler line and drain as much as possible out of there too.

But all said and done, I am not sure if I would do either because of the extra time, work, and money. I will just get the fluid and do a drain, filter change, and refill.

I have not hear of other owners that have had problems because of fluid mixing, etc.

New Challenge: Find cheap DEX-VI!!! lol

Last edited by awdrev; 01-17-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

For cheap Dex VI, try WalMart. Not sure how good it is but it does have the Dex VI cert.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Good call Dave. Will do
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
For cheap Dex VI, try WalMart. Not sure how good it is but it does have the Dex VI cert.
Well, I finally bought the liquid. I have to admit: it's been DIFFICULT to find it anywhere. The NAPA store that I went to did have the Valvoline DEX VI (Fully synthetic) so I got 9 qtz... interestingly enough, the back label confirms the backward compatibility.

Well, it's time to do it. Except that it looks like I won't be able to get access to a car shop just yet, the planning continues...
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Great information guys. I have 70k miles on the X3 and the dealer says the recommended interval for changing the transfer case oil is 90,000 miles. Seems like an awful long time on the same fluid but since i'm almost there i'll probably wait.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvest2000 View Post
Great information guys. I have 70k miles on the X3 and the dealer says the recommended interval for changing the transfer case oil is 90,000 miles. Seems like an awful long time on the same fluid but since i'm almost there i'll probably wait.
Well that dealer has no idea what hes talking about, the facts speak for themselves, you are best to do this before 100k km/60k miles.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530i Touring & '03 X3
After a little over two years, I decided to do another transmission fluid change on the same vehicle. The gearbox is now 111,940 kms (69,556 miles) on it's original gearbox.

Old fluid still looked pretty brown to me but not as bad as the first change. The vehicle hasn't travelled a lot since that time, but the gearbox has been problem free after the first fluid drain and refill.

So repeated the same steps that I took last time, and put in more Dexron VI fluid into the GM auto gearbox. Reused the same drain and fill plugs, but will have to replace them the next time I do this, because they have "built in" rubber O rings and I don't think they will last another change. And like the last time, I did not drop the sump pan to replace the filter.

For those with an E83 X3 3.0i with the GM built 5 speed automatic gearbox (2003-2006 X3 models), these are the part numbers for the plugs:

Fill plug part number 24117507787
Drain plug part number 24117533937

My dealer says that BMW Australia has never sold either one of these before in Australia and so if I wanted to buy these plugs, there would be a couple weeks' wait for them to come in from Germany. Wow!

Last edited by tempestv8; 09-10-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added mileage information
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw x3
i have an 04 x3 which i bought with 127,000 miles on it after much research i decided to do a filter and oil change on it. the previous owner kept it up very well with all bmw servicing. i noticed in researching the vehicle the tranny had never been serviced and decided to do it myself. with much hesitation the process went very well. used bmw dex6 for the oil and maiseratz filter (which i was concerned to use when i found out it wasnt oem) works beautifully! i do not know how well this vehicle drove new but it shifts so smoothly now. was experiencing some hard shifts and late shifts before change even getting transmission light coming on at the most peculiar times, but since filter and oil change nothing but a smooth ride! i changed tranny oil at 129,000 miles.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 PM

You should have done the diff. fluid while you were under there.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530i Touring & '03 X3
Congrats on the DIY filter & fluid change. Just curious to know - what was the colour or condition of the old ATF that came out of the transmission? When I first changed the fluid, it was black like engine oil, and the transmission would occasionally do a rough 1st to 2nd gear shift under full throttle.

In the 3 years or so since the vehicle is under my care, I've changed out the ATF twice now. However occasionally the 1st to 2nd gear change under max throttle is still a bit rough. I suspect that this is a characteristic of the GM transmission even with clean fluid or the clutch plates are somewhat worn due to the neglect from the first owner due to lack of fluid replacements.

As for the transfer case fluid, when I checked it, it was a very light amber colour, so I didn't bother changing it - I figured if the oil is clean, its OK not to change it, especially when I am not having any issues with the transfer case. I suspect the first owner probably had to fix their transfer case, hence new fluid.