Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Performance Center Delivery

Performance Center Delivery
Are you interested in picking up your new BMW at the Performance Delivery Center in beautiful South Carolina? Get all your questions about picking up your car answered here by staff from the Performance Delivery Center and other members who have already had the experience! ... View the PDC Wiki -- View the Delivery Date Calendar -- Add Your Delivery Date to the Calendar

Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
PCD to MI

Anyone from MI who has done PCD?

I wanna take advantage of the program but if a drive from Detroit to Chicago already kills me (which I do 2-3/year)... what more if coming from SC!?!? lol

Just wanna know how you did it, the routes you took, stop overs, and the time frame

Last edited by bluejay_el; 08-28-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM

Im thinking I would need to be more specific so that non Michiganders could provide some input...

I'm not really into long drives, unless Im a passenger and its not my car. But anyway, I googled my route and it seems I'll be hitting the following Towns/Cities (via I-75):

Asheville, NC
Knoxville, TN
Lexington, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Dayon, OH
Toledo, OH

Considering my PCD would be scheduled this Fall, any advice on where to stop and check out attractions/scenery? Place to spend the night? Restaurants/Food to try? Alternate route?

Anyone who have driven through the Cherohala Skyway or the Blue Ridge Parkway? How was it?

Last edited by bluejay_el; 08-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
PCD to MI

Don't know if you saw my response in your other thread "Concerns on PCD":

I would avoid the interstates as much as possible. Head north primarily via US-23, which will be scenic, particularly going through SC & NC. This route works if you're headed back to SE MI (Ann Arbor/Detroit). You might want to bypass Columbus, OH. Use Google Maps and select the avoid highways route option to your return destination.

The above route will take longer to drive (slower), is more scenic overall, and friendlier to a new car. Again, I would avoid I-75 as much as possible. I've driven both routes from Asheville to Detroit numerous times.

The fall colors in Asheville, particularly on the Blue Ridge Parkway, should be great in the fall but the drive will be slow going on the parkways. Eat and/or stay at Pisgah Inn.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Power View Post
Don't know if you saw my response in your other thread "Concerns on PCD":

I would avoid the interstates as much as possible. Head north primarily via US-23, which will be scenic, particularly going through SC & NC. This route works if you're headed back to SE MI (Ann Arbor/Detroit). You might want to bypass Columbus, OH. Use Google Maps and select the avoid highways route option to your return destination.

The above route will take longer to drive (slower), is more scenic overall, and friendlier to a new car. Again, I would avoid I-75 as much as possible. I've driven both routes from Asheville to Detroit numerous times.

The fall colors in Asheville, particularly on the Blue Ridge Parkway, should be great in the fall but the drive will be slow going on the parkways. Eat and/or stay at Pisgah Inn.

Thanks for the suggestion. US-23 seems to hit Columbus though? any alternate route when I'm near Columbus

I was originally thinking of hitting I 75 to reach home soon. But then again, it doesnt seem to be a bad idea to take my time and go with the truck-less route while breaking in the car. I'll definitely check the Pisgah Inn
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM

PCD to MI

Although more direct but slower, US-23 goes right through the heart of Columbus. Several options: 1) Take the interstate loop around Columbus and hookup with US-23 just north of Columbus; 2) Take US-33 towards Marysville (Honda plant) and head north on US-68 (the other side of Marysville) towards Findlay; 2a) Take 67 east at Kenton to US-23; or 2b) continue on 67 to Findlay and either take 15 east to US-23 or I-75 N.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM

PCD to MI

Forgot to mention I've never driven on US-23N in OH beyond the exit for 15 when traveling to the Detroit area. I take 15 to I-75N (Findlay).

Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
You don't mention prior experience in this area but within 2 hours of leaving the PC you will be in the Alleghanies. It doesn't matter what road you are on, you won't leave this eastern "mountain" range until you get around Lexington. The interstates will be easy corners and high speed but have some steep climbs where the trucks will be very challenged (as in going real slow at the top). If you go off on the back roads it is even more scenic. There is a scenic map of NC you can get for free if you google something like "tail of the dragon". I think it's put out by the NC tourist agency. They are fun roads but I don't know how much time you will have to spend.

The Biltmore in Asheville is also worth a visit if you have at least a few hours. It costs $50 or so to get in, however. It's a huge old house with lovely grounds. They have a website.

Long car trips with small kids are not my idea of fun. When my kids were little, we used to get them up at 2am and start a 1200 mile trip to see family. The kids would be so tired they would travel better. By leaving this early, I could drive the entire trip in one day but it was a LONG day. I don't do that sort of thing these days. My kids did not want to get back in the car for the second day if we stopped for the night, however. They would be difficult until we got there. We found no really good way to do it.

Your kids might be different from mine, however. Your trip is also shorter. I think you will have a lot more fun without the kids, however.

Jim
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Forgot to mention I've never driven on US-23N in OH beyond the exit for 15 when traveling to the Detroit area. I take 15 to I-75N (Findlay).

That is what i was actually thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
You don't mention prior experience in this area but within 2 hours of leaving the PC you will be in the Alleghanies. It doesn't matter what road you are on, you won't leave this eastern "mountain" range until you get around Lexington. The interstates will be easy corners and high speed but have some steep climbs where the trucks will be very challenged (as in going real slow at the top). If you go off on the back roads it is even more scenic. There is a scenic map of NC you can get for free if you google something like "tail of the dragon". I think it's put out by the NC tourist agency. They are fun roads but I don't know how much time you will have to spend.

The Biltmore in Asheville is also worth a visit if you have at least a few hours. It costs $50 or so to get in, however. It's a huge old house with lovely grounds. They have a website.

Long car trips with small kids are not my idea of fun. When my kids were little, we used to get them up at 2am and start a 1200 mile trip to see family. The kids would be so tired they would travel better. By leaving this early, I could drive the entire trip in one day but it was a LONG day. I don't do that sort of thing these days. My kids did not want to get back in the car for the second day if we stopped for the night, however. They would be difficult until we got there. We found no really good way to do it.

Your kids might be different from mine, however. Your trip is also shorter. I think you will have a lot more fun without the kids, however.

Jim
Thanks for the information, specially about the steep climbs Yeah, I'm planning on taking the back roads.

My CA actually encouraged me to check the tail of the dragon. It seems to be out of the way, plus when I looked it up in Google & YouTube, it returned a lot of info about motorcycle-related accidents. lol. I think I'm fine with either Cherohala or Blue Ridge.

No kids and no wife (single guy here). I'm doing the PCD all by myself.... and driving back over 700 miles all by myself
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: Lexi
I made a similar trip a while back; perhaps you can use some of my route. I was revisiting places I had lived in previously, so my itinerary was a bit of a hopscotch, but here goes:

From Asheville NC
I40 (US70) east to Greensboro NC
US220 north to Roanoke VA
US220 north to Cumberland MD (you could also get on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while)
US220 north to US30 (Lincoln Highway) at Bedford PA
US30 west to Pittsburgh
PA8 north through Butler PA to I80 at Barkeyville PA
I80 west to Toledo OH
I75 north to Detroit MI

Good luck with your trip.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay_el View Post
That is what i was actually thinking

Thanks for the information, specially about the steep climbs Yeah, I'm planning on taking the back roads.

My CA actually encouraged me to check the tail of the dragon. It seems to be out of the way, plus when I looked it up in Google & YouTube, it returned a lot of info about motorcycle-related accidents. lol. I think I'm fine with either Cherohala or Blue Ridge.

No kids and no wife (single guy here). I'm doing the PCD all by myself.... and driving back over 700 miles all by myself
I believe PCD finishes in the early afternoon, which should enable you to reach Asheville, NC by 5:00pm. If you intend to make a visit to the Biltmore Estate, then you'll need to spend the night and visit the following morning. I'd allow 3-4 hrs. for Biltmore. Otherwise, you won't get your money's worth. Check out the Biltmore website to determine your interest level.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I believe PCD finishes in the early afternoon, which should enable you to reach Asheville, NC by 5:00pm. If you intend to make a visit to the Biltmore Estate, then you'll need to spend the night and visit the following morning. I'd allow 3-4 hrs. for Biltmore. Otherwise, you won't get your money's worth. Check out the Biltmore website to determine your interest level.

I wont be able to check Biltmore.

I was actually looking for a bodyshop in the area to apply paint protection film before I head back to MI and I found one at Greenville.

If all works according to plan: After PCD, I'll drop off the car at their shop, they'll give me a ride back to the hotel, spend one more night at Marriott, they'll pick me up the following morning for me to pick up the car, then head to Blue Ridge Parkway till early afternoon before I head home... not sure if I would still need to spend another night somewhere between NC/TN and MI

Last edited by bluejay_el; 08-30-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
When my son drives his 135i convertible on the twisty roads here in Washington state. He told me other cars are nice and pull over so he can pass, But he pulls over so motorcycles can pass him as they handle the twisty roads much better than a car.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I wont be able to check Biltmore.

I was actually looking for a bodyshop in the area to apply paint protection film before I head back to MI and I found one at Greenville.

If all works according to plan: After PCD, I'll drop off the car at their shop, they'll give me a ride back to the hotel, spend one more night at Marriott, they'll pick me up the following morning for me to pick up the car, then head to Blue Ridge Parkway till early afternoon before I head home... not sure if I would still need to spend another night somewhere between NC/TN and MI
Please share the name of the shop that's applying the paint protection film and how you rate their work. You probably won't need to spend another night on the road unless you're really tired or make additional sightseeing stops. It will be a long day though.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Please share the name of the shop that's applying the paint protection film and how you rate their work. You probably won't need to spend another night on the road unless you're really tired or make additional sightseeing stops. It will be a long day though.

It's Extreme Colors Automotive Paint

I couldnt find any online reviews but it seems a lot had "liked" it on Facebook

They are also authorized installers of 3m & Xpel PPFs

I'll let you know how they did.... that is if I get to finalize my schedule for PCD (different topic)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
You can easily do the Dragon and Cherohala in one day... I did. I stayed in Robbinsville, NC after dinner in Waynesville (awesome... Chef's Table restaurant) after driving from Spartanburg on 276... beautiful road... then early the following morning (7am) I drove up to the Dragon and drove it before the crazies got out there. Of course, it was December so they would've had to be REAL crazies Anyway, the Cherohala Skyway you will actually pass the entranace to it on the way to the Dragon... so do the Dragon twice (once North, once South) and then take the Skyway into Tennessee.

Now, this will take you a bit out of your way, but it won't add a huge amount to your time. And it was definitely worth it to me... an experience I would love to repeat.

I agree with earlier comments, too; avoid highways and take your time. Life is a journey with only one destination; it's better to take the slower route sometimes
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
You can easily do the Dragon and Cherohala in one day... I did. I stayed in Robbinsville, NC after dinner in Waynesville (awesome... Chef's Table restaurant) after driving from Spartanburg on 276... beautiful road... then early the following morning (7am) I drove up to the Dragon and drove it before the crazies got out there. Of course, it was December so they would've had to be REAL crazies Anyway, the Cherohala Skyway you will actually pass the entranace to it on the way to the Dragon... so do the Dragon twice (once North, once South) and then take the Skyway into Tennessee.

Now, this will take you a bit out of your way, but it won't add a huge amount to your time. And it was definitely worth it to me... an experience I would love to repeat.

I agree with earlier comments, too; avoid highways and take your time. Life is a journey with only one destination; it's better to take the slower route sometimes
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I might consider checking the tail of the dragon as well!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
The tail of the dragon is very different from the blue ridge parkway. The dragon is a short road with LOTS of turns. There are shoulders some place which are used by bikes to pull over for the faster cars. Most bikes are Harleys and very slow. I watched one go off the road even though he was not going quickly at all. I followed one bike that pulled over for me but was going nearly as fast as I wanted to go. In spots on the dragon it is hard to go the speed limit and stay in the lane. There are other spots where you could go quicker, of course.

You can nearly always exceed the 45mph speed limit on the blue ridge parkway in a bimmer. It has mostly gentle turns. It also has nice scenic overlooks that are often only a few hundred yard apart. I spent 1.5 days driving it end to end and had to really limit my stops to do it this quickly. You don't have to do the entire thing - 400+ miles - of course. There are also side trips along the route that can be fun. I stopped for an hour or so at Linville (lynville?) Falls - a hike through the woods to a nice waterfall.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
And because I feel like it; here's the video footage I shot on the Dragon in my 135i. This was the North run. As I said, it was quiet because it was December and early in the morning... but any day you can get up there early is usually reasonably quiet. Harley guys spend most of the early mornings trying to kick their hangovers

http://contour.com/videos/watch/tail...ragon-north--4
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the posts!

Anyway, here's some updates:

1. Was able to finalize the schedule of my PCD, 11/08
2. After sitting at Bremerhaven for 3 days, it's now being carried by 'Tamesis'
3. Expecting to arrive at Baltimore on 9/18... thats 7 weeks from PCD!!!
4. Monitoring marine traffic is addicting
Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the posts!

Anyway, here's some updates:

1. Was able to finalize the schedule of my PCD, 11/08
2. After sitting at Bremerhaven for 3 days, it's now being carried by 'Tamesis'
3. Expecting to arrive at Baltimore on 9/18... thats 7 weeks from PCD!!!
4. Monitoring marine traffic is addicting
The fall colors should be good around then. Perhaps you can track them until then.
http://www.exploreasheville.com/seasonal-fun/fall/

http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/fallfoliage/

Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post
You don't mention prior experience in this area but within 2 hours of leaving the PC you will be in the Alleghanies.
Actually you will be in the Appalachians, the Alleghanies are further much north.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Hey Diesel Powel, JimD1 and GeorgeT (and anyone else from NC/SC)

So my current PCD schedule is on 11/08. But since my car is actually arriving in the US earlier than anticipated, PC allowed me to reschedule my delivery at an earlier date (thanks Jonathan!). Since all Fridays before 11/08 have been fully booked, my other option is to have the delivery is either on Oct 17th , 24th or 31st, which are Thursdays. I really don't want to be out from work for two days but my next deciding factor would be fall foliage and temperature

Being from the Carolinas, which do you think would be the best date to see the foliage, Oct 17th , 24th, 31st or should i stick with Nov 8th?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Hey Diesel Powel, JimD1 and GeorgeT (and anyone else from NC/SC)

So my current PCD schedule is on 11/08. But since my car is actually arriving in the US earlier than anticipated, PC allowed me to reschedule my delivery at an earlier date (thanks Jonathan!). Since all Fridays before 11/08 have been fully booked, my other option is to have the delivery is either on Oct 17th , 24th or 31st, which are Thursdays. I really don't want to be out from work for two days but my next deciding factor would be fall foliage and temperature

Being from the Carolinas, which do you think would be the best date to see the foliage, Oct 17th , 24th, 31st or should i stick with Nov 8th?
The date range for peak colors can vary. You'll see colors either one of those dates. However, I suggest referring to the URLs in my prior response on Sept. 9th to track the fall colors more accurately.