Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Salt Damage to Rubber Trim

Just picked up an '08 X3 from someone who lived near the ocean. Upon closer inspection the rubber trim (glazing) holding down the top of the windshield is severly cracking. I assume it's due to salt damage. Would any of you attempt to fix this yourselves or should this be left to a pro? Any advice on how to do it? Do you think there's a risk in leaving it like this or do you think this is a critical repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	396107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	396108  

Last edited by scotty_b; 09-09-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_b View Post
Just picked up an '08 X3 from someone who lived near the ocean. Upon closer inspection the rubber trim (glazing) holding down the top of the windshield is severly cracking. I assume it's due to salt damage. Would any of you attempt to fix this yourselves or should this be left to a pro? Any advice on how to do it? Do you think there's a risk in leaving it like this or do you think this is a critical repair?
maybe from wax ?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
I think the windscreen needs to come out. Check realoem.com
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM

I doubt it's from wax. The previous owners didn't seem like the waxing type and there's minor degrading of rubber trim in other places on the car's exterior that are in spots where one would not be waxing.

@joylove - when you say "windscreen", do you mean the "cover, windshield, top" (#1 below)? Looks to be about $71. Plus I assume you need the adhesive for another $81. Is this something that a DIY'er could fix you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	396111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	396112  
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_b View Post
The seals wearing out seem to be pretty common on X3's... I have to get mine replaced and they're not even that bad right now. If I wait for them to get worse though I'll end up with water on the inside or damaging the carpets/leather. My seals are just about at the same condition as yours if not just a tad bit better, I recommend having someone who has done it before do it and who can guarantee their work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
They are not water seals, the windscreen is glued in, that is your water seal. It is a cosmetic seal and a large debris/driving rain seal.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Sun damage

It looks like sun damage and general deterioration of the rubber seal around the windshield (In UK they call it windscreen).

I would replace it with original parts from the dealer or one of the on-line suppliers.

I regularly apply a coat of protectant like 303 Aerospace or Adams VRT to all rubber seals on the car to keep them supple. With the heat from the sun the "oils" in the rubber is lost which causes them to break up.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Awesome. Thanks all.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3

Mine is exactly the same and it came from FL. It's just a trim piece that clips into the windshield frame and costs about $60.

One of the cars I looked at buying had most of that part missing altogether. It still had the metal channel which is what holds the windscreen in place but this rubber trim piece was missing altogether.

Most likely too is that you will find that the rubber trim at the bottom of the windscreen, under the wipers, has become brittle and little bits will break off if you touch them, particularly the little "wing" at either side, which is a separate piece.