Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
Anyone who decided NOT to take PCD?

and why?

I'm still thinking whether to avail for the PCD or not:

Pros
- 1st BMW. Its seems to be a great way to get an introduction about the company and what it's cars a capable of
- No other brand offer the same (I think). Although, other brands offer similar to ED
- You get to learn a lot about the car you're getting and what it is capable of doing
- Bragging rights to say that I went to their performance school

Cons
- Found out that earliest available date would be 11/4, thus a huge chance I wont get to redeem the $1000 from UDE
- Additional expenses. I don't wanna break it all down but it seems I would need to set aside $600-700 if I were to do the PCD, while it's $0 it I take delivery at the dealer. Do I have the money to pay for that? Yes, but I am thrifty as well
- I don't have paid leaves. I don't mind if i can get the PCD on a Friday, but it will definitely hurt my pocket if I don't work for more than a day (I live over 700 miles away from PC, so it'll take some time for me to drive back home)

What do you think?
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
do it!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i Sedan
It was a great experience. Is there some expense involved, yes. But view it has a mini-vacation. You will have a blast. And there is no better way to get the whole BMW indoctrination.

I am ready to do it again, and I will!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
It was an easy decision for me since I live 1.5 hours away. But another disadvantage is you have to go to your dealer and pay a few days to a couple weeks (can't remember the exact interval) before you get your car. Seems strange to pay and not get the keys. But I got over it. It was a lot of fun. I also advise you to call the PC and make sure they have what they need. My SA didn't get them the tag and I had to bring it. If you order accessories from the dealer, you might need to bring them too if you want them in the car for the drive home.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:45 PM

I got a slot for 11/08, Friday. So I guess I'm doing it

...oh wait, the car is still at Bremerhaven, I guess I still have few weeks to get cold feet
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Yeah, even though I live in St. Louis (about 10-11 hours drive) I knew it was worth it as soon as I read about it. It was a no brainer... wonderful day followed by an incredible drive home. It's worth it and is one of my favourite memories of the ownership of my 135i. Going to do it again someday, but it'll be a bit.

Here is my thread about the whole experience including the drive home. If this won't make you want to do it, nothing will
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-05-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
Here[/URL] is my thread about the whole experience including the drive home. If this won't make you want to do it, nothing will
Here is my video montage of the PCD experience:

Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
After watching DDGator's video, there's no way I could turn down PCD (or European Delivery, as I did last week). What a wonderful experience!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i MSport
PCD would delay getting the car by nearly a month. Gotta have it sooner rather than later. Missing s great experience, I 'm sure. Went to several Mercedes Client On Track events, and always enjoyed them. We are planning our own leisurely trip in our new Bimmer through the Carolinas this fall.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Anyone who decided NOT to take PCD?

One other advantage is that you can take a driving vacation and only have to drive one way. We spent a week driving home to Houston, stopping one or 2 nights in Asheville, Nashville, Little Rock, Bentonville (Arkansas for Crystal Bridges Museum), and Dallas. If we had to drive both ways, we wouldn't have done it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
It is a great experience. If you can make it work do so. N4S
Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 MSport,EB,RL
Video from DDgator is not working for me...
'01-Hyundai Elantra
'00-Chevy S10
'99-Nissan Maxima
'97-Chevy S10
'95-Pontiac Firebird
'93-Schwinn 21spd
'91-Huffy 18spd
'86-Kent 5spd BMX
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 AM

It's interesting that Im seeing more post from people who took it than those who didn't

Just found out that my car just sat at Bremerhaven for 3 days and it and it's now on its way to the US. Meaning I can have it by this month, only if I cancel my PCD..... argh!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdabass View Post
Video from DDgator is not working for me...
Try going to the vimeo.com site and searching for videos with tag 'Duane's BMW Delivery'.

Last edited by gkr778; 09-09-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay_el View Post
It's interesting that Im seeing more post from people who took it than those who didn't

Just found out that my car just sat at Bremerhaven for 3 days and it and it's now on its way to the US. Meaning I can have it by this month, only if I cancel my PCD..... argh!
LOL... yeah, PCD isn't for the impatient or those needing a car by a particular date! If you want your car on a schedule, better to skip the PCD... but it is one hell of an experience.

If you need a car for a month or so, then the big rental companies do offer decent monthly rates. While it's not BMW, it will do in the interim. I've used them before and had decent enough experiences.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
LOL... yeah, PCD isn't for the impatient or those needing a car by a particular date! If you want your car on a schedule, better to skip the PCD... but it is one hell of an experience.

If you need a car for a month or so, then the big rental companies do offer decent monthly rates. While it's not BMW, it will do in the interim. I've used them before and had decent enough experiences.

its funny because prior to ordering one, I told my CA that I want to pick up the car by the last week of October (to save as much as I can for DP and to take advantage of UDE). The checking 'vehicle production status' (and the fact that everything is going ahead of schedule, except for PCD) just made me so impatient!

I can wait, I think my I can work with my CA to get me a loaner. Other than the issue with time, I havent heard from anyone else that would convince me to back out

Last edited by bluejay_el; 09-09-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: '14 BMW M6 & M-B ML63AMG
PCD Recommended

I think that DDGator needs to go back to the BMW Driving School in SC for a refresher course...

From his photo, it appears that he still has not gotten the hang of driving over-steer and mistook the circular road in front of the BMW Zentrum museum as the wet skid pad and ended up straddling the sidewalk curb.....

(Only kidding, of course....)

I also opted for the PCD option, scheduled on a Friday, and preceded it with a one-day performance driving school on the Wed. of that week, followed the next day by the one-day M-School and culminating with picking up my 2014 BMW M6 Coupe on Friday afternoon, after spending much of that morning in another M6 on the track, as well as the X5 cross-country course and Zentrum museum with the other new BMW owner's picking up their cars.

It was a wonderful experience for any car lover and I recommend it highly.
As DDGator stated, just plan and budget it as a vacation that also happens to educate you on driving these magnificent vehicles, the history of the brand and the specifics of your model of BMW.

All the best and enjoy your new car!

2014 BMW M6 Coupe (Daily Driver)
2007 M-B ML63 AMG (Vacation & Winter Vehicle)
2013 BMW 335 xDrive Coupe (Wife's Daily Driver)
1961 M-B 190SL (Fair weather weekend treat)
2004 M-B E55 AMG (leased, returned)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2000 M-B E45 Sport (leased, returned)

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 09-10-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG View Post
I also opted for the PCD option, scheduled on a Friday, and preceded it with a one-day performance driving school on the Wed. of that week, followed the next day by the one-day M-School and culminating with picking up my 2014 BMW M6 Coupe on Friday afternoon, after spending much of that morning in another M6 on the track, as well as the X5 cross-country course and Zentrum museum with the other new BMW owner's picking up their cars.

I'll probably do the same... with ED even.... on my 20XX M4 Coupe! (notice I didn't say 201X )
Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
My dealer tells me that you can take delivery at the dealership & then still do the PCD later. Every thing is same except you already have your car before you go. This is what we are opting for, especially since they are telling us that the factory tours are not available until after May 2014.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowhatanDP View Post
My dealer tells me that you can take delivery at the dealership & then still do the PCD later. Every thing is same except you already have your car before you go. This is what we are opting for, especially since they are telling us that the factory tours are not available until after May 2014.
My understanding is that you have to take delivery at the performance center???

You can schedule a trip to the performance center anytime, but their is a cost for the different courses.

http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#overview

Double check on this in the Performance Center Delivery Forum.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Last edited by Norm37; 09-14-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
My understanding is that you have to take delivery at the performance center???

You can schedule a trip to the performance center anytime, but their is a cost for the different courses.

http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#overview

Double check on this in the Performance Center Delivery Forum.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136
Not according to the Sales Manager at Richmond VA BMW - same as if you had originally taken delivery at PCD. He told me just to let him know when my wife & I wanted to attend. Guess we will see if he is correct next summer when I let him know that I a ready to schedule.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowhatanDP View Post

From what I understand, this is what is being referred to as 'BMW 101'. That is basically at the dealers expense.... they literally pay for you to experience "PCD without the D". Some dealers offer it as 'goodwill' to their existing clients, I've seen posts that someone was charged for $500.

I brought this to my CA, but he 'politely' declined to sponsor if I were to take a BMW 101 since "he sold the car to me way below the range he usually sells it too". Although he said he wouldn't mind if I take the 101 but at my own expense...which he estimates about 1K

It sucks that the factory tour is still closed at this time, but it's not a deal breaker to me since it's probably just less than an hour worth of my time...plus the models that they are producing there is not the one that i bought...lol.

I'd rather learn a lot about my car while the mileage is still 0
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay_el View Post
From what I understand, this is what is being referred to as 'BMW 101'. That is basically at the dealers expense.... they literally pay for you to experience "PCD without the D". Some dealers offer it as 'goodwill' to their existing clients, I've seen posts that someone was charged for $500.

I brought this to my CA, but he 'politely' declined to sponsor if I were to take a BMW 101 since "he sold the car to me way below the range he usually sells it too". Although he said he wouldn't mind if I take the 101 but at my own expense...which he estimates about 1K

It sucks that the factory tour is still closed at this time, but it's not a deal breaker to me since it's probably just less than an hour worth of my time...plus the models that they are producing there is not the one that i bought...lol.

I'd rather learn a lot about my car while the mileage is still 0
Thanks!