Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:17 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Has anyone filled DEF at a Truck Stop?

Folks,

I have a new MB GL350BT and it has a nice filling cap for the DEF next to the Diesel Fill. I suppose that would be the logical place to put it, no?

Has anyone here ever filled their DEF at one of those filling stations for DEF found at Truck Stops? Is it easy? How much does it cost?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM
hang up and drive!

I looked it up and Love's Truck Stops now has completed installing DEF Filling Pumps at all of their truck stops.

The price is now $2.69/gal at the pump. They also have the smaller containers.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
That makes sense -- not hiding the urea fill but putting it somewhere where it actually can be used. I am sure someone somewhere will put in diesel fuel though.........
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
ive been told that the fillers at truck stops dont have a small enough nozzle to fit in our fill port. I havent tried a truck stock so I dont know if thats always the case or not. IF the nozzle fit theres no reason that you couldnt do it. Filling urea in our cars is not as difficult or tricky as some would have you believe
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
A simple large funnel would likely suffice. The kind that you use for tansmission fluid with the bendable spout. Its not like you need to carry it with you as you wouldn't likely need but every 10 to 15 thousand miles. The diesel ford trucks have the DEF and fuel filler caps side by side under the fuel door. At least at the Houston car show a couple yrs ago, this was the case.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM
hang up and drive!

There are plenty of stories of truckers putting Diesel in their DEF and vice a versa.

Either way it is a bad situation.

Nozzle diameters are different with the DEF being smaller than the diesel so you would not be able to fit the Diesel nozzle in the DEF hole.

I'll research the nozzles sizes a bit more. But so far it looks like nobady has filled up their DEF at a truck stop.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d, Mazda 6, RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
A simple large funnel would likely suffice. The kind that you use for tansmission fluid with the bendable spout. Its not like you need to carry it with you as you wouldn't likely need but every 10 to 15 thousand miles. The diesel ford trucks have the DEF and fuel filler caps side by side under the fuel door. At least at the Houston car show a couple yrs ago, this was the case.
The new 328d also has it under the fuel door. It is much smaller than the fuel filler and plainly marked. I don't think an owner would mistake either one. While a casual user might not understand the difference, you couldn't fill the urea tank with a fuel nozzle and a casual user wouldn't be trying to fill the car with urea. I don't see it as a problem - though literally no one but me has ever filled my 335d.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 AM
hang up and drive!

Looks like some DEF Tanks (in vehicles) use a magnetic safety that releases the internal valve in the DEF dispenser nozzle allowing it to flow. If you don't have that magnetic device, i.e. in your diesel tank, you cant accidentally put DEF in the Diesel Tank.

I have no idea if our older 335D DEF fillers could accomodate these DEF Nozzles or not.

I suspect my MB BT might work?

Looks like I might pay my local truck stop a quick visit to inquire.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xdrive
I would be interested to know, as we also have a 2013 GL350 and was curious if we could fill up with DEF at the truck stops.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
It would be nice if this could be standardized -- like the fuel ports. All of a standard size, in a uniform location on the car (next to the fuel port seems ideal a la the new Ford Trucks and apparently the new 335d) to make it easy on everyone. This would of course deny the dealers a nice little profit center and of course keep them from spilling the corrosive urea all over the interior of the engine bay. We are going to have to live with the urea system so it might as well be standardized to make it as economical and easy to access as possible.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-10-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Won't work. Our filler tube requires a special nozzle. Besides the flow rate is probably too high as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I watched someone the other day use one of the fillers at a truck stop. I think he was in a Ford F350, I did not pay very close attention. My fear for whatever I would be pumping it into would be flow rates. I have used diesel fuel pumps that 18-wheelers use but on my F250 and the flow rates were extremely high.

I'd just buy the stuff at any auto parts store and put it in at home or if you prone to spilling things then just do it in the parking lot of the auto parts store.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Looks like some DEF Tanks (in vehicles) use a magnetic safety that releases the internal valve in the DEF dispenser nozzle allowing it to flow. If you don't have that magnetic device, i.e. in your diesel tank, you cant accidentally put DEF in the Diesel Tank.

I have no idea if our older 335D DEF fillers could accomodate these DEF Nozzles or not.

I suspect my MB BT might work?

Looks like I might pay my local truck stop a quick visit to inquire.
So, if i wanted to pump DEF into a plastic storage container, it wouldn't flow? My thought is to avoid the high flow by putting the DEF into a dedicated container and then transfer the contents into the car in a much slower way (pour a little bit and wait for it to burp, pour a little bit more .....). I would use the "adapter" that someone in another thread suggested where you use the 1/2 gallon VW urea bottle with the bottom but out and use it as a funnel.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
So, if i wanted to pump DEF into a plastic storage container, it wouldn't flow? My thought is to avoid the high flow by putting the DEF into a dedicated container and then transfer the contents into the car in a much slower way (pour a little bit and wait for it to burp, pour a little bit more .....). I would use the "adapter" that someone in another thread suggested where you use the 1/2 gallon VW urea bottle with the bottom but out and use it as a funnel.
Why not just buy it at a parts store or even a Walmart in the bottles? It is dirt cheap at either place and could then transfer it into the bottle that allows you to easily get into the car's tank. I know the parts store near my house routinely has a pallet of the stuff sitting out with a discounted price on it.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
hang up and drive!

The trucks apparently don't have such a larger DEF tank either.

I read something like 20 liters which seems rather small. Suggested they would have to fill up on avereage 5 times a year.

I agree, since we only would need to add this stuff about once every 10-13k, just buy it at local auto store in the appropiate size you want to handle. 2 1/2 gallons seems about right with one of those smaller ones to transfer to the tank.

I bought the extended maintenance so it is still on BMW nickel, but I didn't on the MB and they want to charge a small fortune to fill the DEF, something in the $200+ range as I understand it.

I also think there are several dispenser companies making the DEF stations and each has it's own type of system, like the one with the magnetic sensor. You can get the sensor seperately and slip it over the nozzle and stick it in your tank (if the nozzle diameter allows).
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Why not just buy it at a parts store or even a Walmart in the bottles? It is dirt cheap at either place and could then transfer it into the bottle that allows you to easily get into the car's tank. I know the parts store near my house routinely has a pallet of the stuff sitting out with a discounted price on it.
I guess I need to check my local Walmart a little harder... didn't know they carried DEF!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d, Mazda 6, RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootle View Post
I guess I need to check my local Walmart a little harder... didn't know they carried DEF!
Yeah, Walmart had a full page ad in either Car & Driver or
Autoweek about a month ago which advertised Castrol Edge in 5qt. bottles at a very good price ($17? I"d have to go to a store to check whether it is actually LL04) and 2.5 gallons of DEF in bottles (about $12 as I recall). I was really surprised to see the DEF in a big ad from Walmart!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:20 AM

I am sure it is because of all the pickup trucks that use the stuff. But regardless I know they have stocked DEF for awhile now.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
I've filled up a 2.5 gallon "Blue DEF" container at truck stops several times now. I then siphon the DEF from the container into the 335d DEF tank as required.

One issue I've encountered with respect to filling the container at the truck stop is that the truck DEF dispenser continuously shuts off. Takes 10 minutes to fill a 2.5 gallon container when it should take less than a minute. Apparently there's a "misfueling" device on the DEF pumps to prevent DEF from being dispensed into the fuel tank?

Has anyone found a way around this dilemma?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanCCM View Post
I've filled up a 2.5 gallon "Blue DEF" container at truck stops several times now. I then siphon the DEF from the container into the 335d DEF tank as required.

One issue I've encountered with respect to filling the container at the truck stop is that the truck DEF dispenser continuously shuts off. Takes 10 minutes to fill a 2.5 gallon container when it should take less than a minute. Apparently there's a "misfueling" device on the DEF pumps to prevent DEF from being dispensed into the fuel tank?

Has anyone found a way around this dilemma?
Just buy the jugs as you need it? Sounds like a hassle to deal with the pumps. After all you're only filling once a year at most.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
I have done it at a flying J/Pilot truck stop. The nozzle was about 1/2" in diameter and IIRC the flowrate was not that fast at all. I just opened the cap for the passive reservoir and used a funnel and filled it until I could see the level and closed the cap. This was on an X5 though. Can't comment on the 335d.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Question on DEF fluid in 335d

Does one have to use DEF fluid from BMW dealer or you can buy at Auto store and use
that one?
I have never added DEF fluid before in my 335d.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
Does one have to use DEF fluid from BMW dealer or you can buy at Auto store and use
that one?
I have never added DEF fluid before in my 335d.
It is the same fluid every where.

Only reason I'd say buy any from a dealership would be to get the bottle so that you could then use that as a funnel for fluid bought from a parts store. But even when looking at the dealership bottle, the bottles sold at a VW dealer have the same end as the one sold at the BMW dealer. The VW sourced one tends to cost you less money.

You don't need the bottle though. A small funnel would work. I have seen guys say they use a small siphon hose/pump to get it from the big parts store containers into their cars.

Last edited by Snipe656; 10-21-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: engrish
Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM

ah, ok, thks
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM

you can buy just about any funnel out there to use, a flexible neck funnel makes for an easy job