Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: x5
04 3.0i diff oil

hi guys, just wanted to see if anyone has put anything other than the bmw oem oil in their diffs. i hear the 04 and up x5's can run Redline 75w-90

question is, is it safe? my dealer is telling me they only sell their oem gear oil in 5L jugs ($200) which is a little off the board.

redline or royal purple? what do you guys think

cheers
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
The OEM diff oil is Castrol SAP-XO (75w-90). It's impossible to find is small quantities, except maybe at the Land Rover dealer (TYK500010)

Any GL-5 synthetic 75W-90 is fine. I'm using Redline 75W-90 synthetic, but Amsoil, Mobil1 are also fine oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM

thanks for the reply. so those above fluids are safe for 04+ x5 with xdrive correct?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14DK View Post
thanks for the reply. so those above fluids are safe for 04+ x5 with xdrive correct?
For the diffs themselves (front/rear), yes. For the transfer case oil, you need something else. Go here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_XD...erviceKit_E53/

No idea what the transmission itself uses. BMW changed fluids several times throughout the life of the E53. My 01 used Texaco ETL8072B, which is made of unobtanium. I changed the trans fluid/filter and cleaned the pan about 15k miles ago (at 110k) and used Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc. No issues and it shifts fine; Valvoline's spec says it is compatible with Texaco ETL8072B.

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM

yeah i will be purchasing that fancy transfer case oil tomorrow, just needed to confirm if redline 75w-90 was safe to put into my diff.
There is a lot of contradicting info with oils when it comes to e53's because the 2001-03 use different diff fluid where the 04-06 use different fluid since it equipped with x drive. (correct me if im wrong) but this fluid stuff is driving me crazy, no one really states if they are doing the oil change on pre 04 or after.. that goes for the diff and transfer case so its something to lookout for.
i had someone on here tell me to run ATF in my 04 e53 front/rear diff but good thing i didnt. the dude had an 02 e53 where as my diff will not take atf fluid.

as for the tranny i will be using dexron VI

Last edited by s14DK; 09-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
We want the Lion!

Diff oils are the same for E53 models as far as I can tell. If I were towing alot, i might step up to 75w-140 GL5.

The transfer case uses different oil; non XDrive transfer cases in early X5s use ATF. The XDrive models use a different oil, it's a straight 75w GL4 gear oil.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM

i just picked up some mobil 1 dexron VI for the tranny, anyone ever use this kind?
I think i should return it and get the full synthetic blend, it says synthetic blend at the back but not really sure if that means full synethic.. ?

Last edited by s14DK; 09-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14DK View Post
i just picked up some mobil 1 dexron VI for the tranny, anyone ever use this kind?
I think i should return it and get the full synthetic blend, it says synthetic blend at the back but not really sure if that means full synethic.. ?

That's not "Mobil 1" AFT. Mobil 1 is silver and is a full synthetic. Might work fine, might not.

I would not recommend changing trans fluid UNLESS you also replace the trans filter and clean the pan and the pan magnets.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM

i have the filter and everything ready to do, just concerned about the fluid at this time. I guess i should return it and look for the grey mobil 1 bottles..

PITA

EDIT: i just had someone on xoutpost say this oil is FINE as it is marked DEXRON VI

god damn i never knew oil decision making would be this hard.

Last edited by s14DK; 09-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: X-5
I've done a bunch of research and reading on this topic, and Scott is spot-on ! Did all my gearboxes a month ago, all working great.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM

scott that mobil ATF worked just fine. dexron VI is all that matters

i will be doing my diffs tmrw

redline 75w90! $22/bottle CDN

cheers
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM
We want the Lion!

Good news.

Keep in mind, with the gearbox/transmission, you really only drain about 60% of the fluid when you drain/fill. The rest is still living in the torque converter and theres no easy way to get at it. Some guys run the new fluid for a couple of weeks, then drain/refill again.

And while you're showing love to your X5 by changing fluids, don't forget the power steering reservior. At every other oil change, I suck the old fluid out with a turkey baster and refill it with Mobil 1 synthetic AFT (the one in the silver bottle). The PS system system uses ATF.

I buy my Redline stuff at Amazon.com. It's the lowest price I've found and ships for free.

Quote:
Quote: