Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
z3 throttle body

what do y'all know about aftermarket throttle bodies from riot racing? price isn't bad if the performance increase is what they say it is.

http://www.westcoastriots.com/obd2.h...CT_ID=18601765

link for all: http://www.westcoastriots.com/

Last edited by tohbi; 09-10-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM

what, no one has replaced a throttle body? it's a common way to improve fuel flow on many cars.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
The general consensus here is that the BMW engineers did a pretty good job of balancing the system. A bigger throttle body can only help if it is the most restrictive part. It is not. It is one of many parts, such as MAF. manifold, valves, cams, ports, headers, exhaust pipes, cats, and mufflers. The only way to add any meaningful horsepower to these engines is to add forced induction.
If you do a search here on Performance Mods, you'll generally find that sentiment from others who have tried many things.
I believe there is absolutely no way a bigger throttle body (with 7% larger bore) can increase air flow by 11% and WHP by 8% as claimed. There just isn't that much margin left in the system.
That being said, I have never heard of anyone replacing just their throttle body. Perhaps you would be willing to buy one, install it, and get it tested on a dyno for us. Post your results.

Last edited by Blacklane; 09-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
A bigger throttle body can only help if it is the most restrictive part.
i understand what you're saying but any improvement in airflow is, well, an improvement. while this throttle body claims to be 4mm wider, it also has a refined butterfly. it's common for people to take an existing throttle body and knife-edge the butterfly to reduce turbulence thereby increasing air velocity. polishing the throttle body walls and matching mating surfaces also are common.

the dyno graph that claims almost 8hp increase also had a dinian chip and track pipes on the car. riot racing says most improvement is in the 3-5hp range. they show a couple other dyno tests that are in the 4 and 5hp range [if i understood them correctly].

but there's more than horsepower to consider. quicker, smoother throttle responses are others. moreover, they claim no loss of torque, which seems sensible to me. at $250 [doing the change yourself] it seems a logical expense considering how much some of us spend on exhaust systems, et al.

here's a thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=403389

Last edited by tohbi; 09-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Project No Budget 1.9

Send a message via AIM to Christian
Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
what do y'all know about aftermarket throttle bodies from riot racing?
I don't know anything about that particular supplier, but I had the original TB on my supercharged 1.9 bored by MaxBore (http://www.maxbore.com). If I recall the cost was only about $80 and the service took a few days. It looks like their current pricing is up to $99.00. At the prices they charge I don't see how you can go wrong with MaxBore.

'97 Boston Green 1.9
Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 PM

what did boring do for performance? did you have the ports matched too? thx
Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
Dinan used to have big bore throttle bodies for your car and others. It's been a while since I was on their site but the performance bump wasn't huge.