Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
Drivers who like to cook

Not sure if there's any interest out there or not, but in addition to driving, one of my favorite hobbies is cooking. Once I had my first child, I started having a lot less time to cook the things I wanted to eat because I was more worried about getting a child-friendly meal prepared. Over time, my wife and I got tired of short-changing ourselves as we both love good food. So, I started reworking some recipes and cooking ideas to appeal both to adult and childrens palates - and when the results starting turning out well, I turned it into a blog, primarily to share the recipes with other friends who had kids.

I try to update with new posts somewhat regularly, although it varies heavily with my work load. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's a link to the blog.

Eats For All Ages

If anyone else has cooking interests or blogs, would love to see a conversation get going here among the bimmer-chefs. Cheers!

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Nice blog! Just browsing through I found quite a few recipes I'll have to try.

Love to cook but ever since my wife started staying home, she's in charge and I cook on the weekends, usually involving the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Nice blog! Just browsing through I found quite a few recipes I'll have to try.

Love to cook but ever since my wife started staying home, she's in charge and I cook on the weekends, usually involving the grill.
Thanks!

My wife stays home as well, but never really got into cooking as much as me. It's kind of my way to unwind at the end of the day, as well.

Glad it piqued your interest - hope you enjoy!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Lucky kids! I very much like your blog. I'm somewhat considering trying out my first blog in the future, as a few of my friends and family thought I ought to. In recent years, it's been right around when the holiday season approaches when I really take off, and then my "cooking season" tails off pretty hard right around June, like clockwork. I've done enough stuff to be able to probably keep a blog rather active, except during the "off-season" when it just really falls off.

There are for sure some pretty hard core foodies here! They're just being shy for the moment.

To varying extents, I've investigated a lot of aspects about food/beverage, and I sometimes feel lost on how I would organize categories. Looking at your "table of contents links", I see that maybe I don't have to care so much, and can simply make a new link for whatever I want, as I please (I'm sometimes confused where to put something if it can fall into multiple categories). Some other categories I mull over creating include coffee roasting, beer making (with possibly numerous subcategories), cocktails, brandying/canning, cheese making, jerky, sorbets/ice creams, dough/pizza, paellas, thermometers, gadgets, knife sharpening, food storage solutions, and more.

Alton Brown is also a hero of mine. If it weren't for him, there is a great chance I would still be a very unexperienced cook. I got most of my info from him by reading, so far four books. In fact, the first time I used a Dutch oven to cook chicken was following a recipe that was one of his favorites (from I'm Just Here For The Food 2.0, I think he even said it's his very favorite?). It was very good, though I didn't like it as much as he liked it. I've done it two or three times.

I'm totally with you on whole chickens. I get mine in two packs, vacuum sealed (big, big fan here of buying vacuum sealed meats when available), free range from Whole Foods, $1.99/lb, once in a blue moon it will go on sale at $1.29/lb, I buy by date firstly, then go for smallest chickens. Yes, a little more expensive depending on the store, but the quality is really worth it, I would even say the whole chickens might be the highest value item of all at any given WF. After breaking down a hundred chickens, it gets pretty quick and easy. I will say though that a cleaver seems a bit overkill, don't think I've seen that before. As washing chicken is recommended against as the spread of bacteria is hugely increased, in a similar away I would wonder about "splashing" bacteria great distances with a cleaver. Then again, I've followed a recipe by a French chef who regularly taste tests his chicken raw! Anyway, I find a simply utility knife is more than enough, if there is too much resistance at any given joint, it's just not at the right entry point, a whole chicken should come apart very easily IMO.

When I get more time to hang out at your blog some more, I'm sure I'll pick up lots of things! I am probably most interested in your gardening articles. I also see you really like your Worcestershire. Last time I used it was yet for another Alton Brown idea, of using AC filters strapped to a box fan (heat used by "dehydrators" is undesirable). Waaaaayyy tooooo goood, and probably baaaaaad for kids, I simply describe it as crack cocaine. I think I'm still trying to get rid of some of the fat that I directly attribute to the large jerky batches earlier this year. I've banned myself from homemade jerky for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Lucky kids! I very much like your blog.
Thanks for the response! I struggled with the same thing you mentioned regarding organization of the blog. It's a tough set-up because blogs tend to be organized in a linear, time-based format, which isn't ideal for something like recipes (or anything) that would fit more neatly into categories. As you mentioned, I pretty much just create a tag/category as I find a need for it. The best feature of the blogs are the search function - so if someone comes to the blog and likes the overall vibe, they can search for "chili" or "brussels sprouts" or whatever and get what they're looking for (if a post has been written on the topic anyway).

Also, regarding the cleaver, definitely just for the cool photo. I use a medium chef's knife for the actual butchering. The cleaver would have absolutely been overkill (although I do sometimes use it just to split the bird...if I have a little stress to release).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I'm somewhat considering trying out my first blog in the future, as a few of my friends and family thought I ought to.
Hopefully you take the advice of friends and family and give it a try. I've found it to be a great creative outlet. I had a creative writing degree from undergrad and worked in advertising for a few years before going back to medical school and getting my MD. So I have found cooking to be a perfect way to unwind at the end of the day, and writing about it has helped me keep the creative side of the brain happy. It's also helped my photography skills, which is pretty apparent comparing some of the first shots to the more recent ones.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
My house was new 7 years ago. The GE Profile built-in oven and microwave have never been used. Yes, they are still virgins. I like food, but I don't like a smelly kitchen from cooking.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 09-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
For fans of French cuisine:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t...rench-chef_fun
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
^I think I equate one page of any given Julia Child recipe with about four hours of time. A seemingly innocent phrase of say only six words, such as "individually hand dry each eggplant piece" can all of a sudden take quite a while... Thank God for Alton Brown!

@ the Doctor, thanks much for your insight, I didn't even notice the search engine, I will definitely play around with that on my next visit.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
. I had a creative writing degree from undergrad and worked in advertising for a few years before going back to medical school and getting my MD. So I have found cooking to be a perfect way to unwind at the end of the day, and writing about it has helped me keep the creative side of the brain happy. It's also helped my photography skills, which is pretty apparent comparing some of the first shots to the more recent ones.
I have many friends and some family who are M.D.'s. Virtually all of them majored in a physical science (biology, chemistry, physics) as undergrads. Did you find yourself at a disadvantage in med school by not having a bachelor's degree in science?
I'm impressed. You probably had to learn much more in med school than a typical med student.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Psych-oh!

Send a message via AIM to wmndriver Send a message via Yahoo to wmndriver
Mein Auto: 07 e92 328XI
Nice! I'm always looking for new cooking and food blogs. I like to cook but often find myself stuck in a rut, cooking the same things over and over again. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Hard core foodie checking in

Thank you for sharing the blog. I have one kid who will eat just about anything and another who is your typical picky kid. She drives me crazy
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
xDriver

Drivers who like to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmndriver View Post
Nice! I'm always looking for new cooking and food blogs. I like to cook but often find myself stuck in a rut, cooking the same things over and over again. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks - hope you find something you like! The blog has actually helped get me out of my cooking ruts as I have to make something new so I have something to write about :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM
xDriver

Drivers who like to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Hard core foodie checking in

Thank you for sharing the blog. I have one kid who will eat just about anything and another who is your typical picky kid. She drives me crazy
Our hope has been that introducing him to a wide range of foods from before he was old enough to say no would help broaden his tastes...and it's working so far. Tonight he had purple potatoes and roasted cauliflower. Hopefully he doesn't change his taste when he gets older and friends tell him "veggies are gross" haha :-)

Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 PM
xDriver

Drivers who like to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
I have many friends and some family who are M.D.'s. Virtually all of them majored in a physical science (biology, chemistry, physics) as undergrads. Did you find yourself at a disadvantage in med school by not having a bachelor's degree in science?
I'm impressed. You probably had to learn much more in med school than a typical med student.
It was both easier and harder. Having some "real world" experience made the practical aspects of med school easier - talking to patients, self-confidence, etc.

It was definitely a little bit of a game if catch up at first since I had less basic science background. I did take a lot of science courses as part of a post-baccalaureate program while i was working before med school, though. And, after the first two years of med school, once you're out of the classroom and in the hospital, things level out.

Certainly wasn't easy, but very glad I did it! (And it helped me into my first BMW...to bring it back around to this forum...haha)

Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
my wife and I are both foodies - I'm the chef though in the house - and I *can* cook anything - but I loathe baking - it's much more exact than I like to be... I'm more a meat and potatoes, or a pasta type guy - we do roasts weekly, even if it's just a bird - but can be anything - I've considered going a food blog, but to be honest, I have plans for some of my creations - particularly a couple of my sauces - to the point of registering domains and taste-testing it made almost 30 different ways... it *may* become a 3rd business...

trying to work out how to buy our chosen bourbon by the barrel affordably at the moment... lol

I see you're in Chi-town - one of my favorite places to eat... you're spoiled - but a friend just moved there, so we'll visit more frequently I hope now... heheh.... plus there are a couple of food expos I want to visit next year

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Re: Drivers who like to cook

I love to cook as well. Go to the traditional market on weekends to buy all the good and fresh stuff for home cooking.

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM
xDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
my wife and I are both foodies - I'm the chef though in the house - and I *can* cook anything - but I loathe baking - it's much more exact than I like to be
Couldn't agree more. I like to adjust by taste and smell, and there's nothing more frustrating than investing a chunk of time on something sitting in the oven just to discover the flavors aren't the way you'd like them. Then you either start over or just abandon it. Not really my style. The hardest part of writing about food for me has already just been getting away from using quantities like "some," "a bit" and "enough" - haha.

Quote:
I've considered going a food blog, but to be honest, I have plans for some of my creations - particularly a couple of my sauces - to the point of registering domains and taste-testing it made almost 30 different ways... it *may* become a 3rd business...
Best of luck to you on that - sounds like fun. I definitely haven't come with anything I'd consider marketable at this point, but maybe someday...perhaps after I retire

Quote:
I see you're in Chi-town - one of my favorite places to eat... you're spoiled
Absolutely! The hardest decision we have around here is not trying to figure out if there's somewhere great to eat, but if we want to try something new or go back to an old favorite. A dilemma we're pretty lucky to be saddled with.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I'm in. Jennifer and I had a quasi-date night last weekend; we went to a reliable restaurant we'd enjoyed in the past. There was nothing exactly wrong with the food, except that we paid $120 for a meal we both agreed we could have done much better ourselves. To say nothing about the wine. This is a feeling we get more and more these days, and since I travel professionally, 90% of the time I'm at home I'd just as soon cook.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
Re: Drivers who like to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
Our hope has been that introducing him to a wide range of foods from before he was old enough to say no would help broaden his tastes...and it's working so far. Tonight he had purple potatoes and roasted cauliflower. Hopefully he doesn't change his taste when he gets older and friends tell him "veggies are gross" haha :-)

Both my boys as toddlers ate anything I put in front of them. And then they became opinionated. Fortunately my younger one is less picky, but still very challenging.

I have a couple hundred cookbooks that I enjoy cooking from but I also love reading them like novels, too. I'm about to start my MFK Fisher collection!