Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Looking at buying a 2007 x3...

Hi all,

My family has grown, so I'm looking at trading in my 2003 325i for an X3. I'm looking at a 2007 x3 with 48k miles. I think it has premium and cold package, maybe sport.

What price should I be shooting for?
The vehicle has "m" trim. Was that an actual option, or did someone add it later?
It looks like a few things are missing from under the trunk hatch, does anyone have a list of what I should have in there?
They remote key doesn't work right now, and I think it's because it hasn't been charged by being in the keyhole, but how would I know for sure?

Thanks for any input.
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
I think book on these cars is 17-20 depending on the seller and or dealer.

I have never truly heard of the M trim. I know they make a cold weather, premium, and sport package. What makes you think it has M trim?

Not sure what goes under the trunk hatch. My 2004 has the manual, some hooks that hook into the trunk rails, parts for changing spare tire (jack, tire wrench).

Don't think you can test the key. Only way to tell is to try and charge it I suppose. Otherwise you're looking at a fairly expensive replacement or trying to take it apart and replace the battery (some online have done this.)

Here is an unofficial link with some good info. http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2007...s_options.html

Last edited by can0n4; 09-10-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Well, I didn't see anything on M trim online either. The only reason I asked was due to a strip of metal on the driver and passenger foot step with the "m" logo, along with a little plastic "m" logo inset into the steering wheel.

Does the sport package come with the body color bumpers?

Thanks for the input on the key. I was kind of afraid of the answer.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
I don't know about the bumpers, I thought that was part of the sport package.

I'm pretty sure you can quickly tell from a few things if it has the sport package. I'm not positive but it should have the shadowline trim (black rain gutters and window trim), as well as the adjustable thigh supports on the seat which slide in and out to support your lower thigh (behind your knee).

It may have the M trim line, I've heard and seen of it on the the forums before but never really looked into it. Someone on here must know all of the details, just waiting for them to chime in.

If it really does have the M package, I think it comes with all of the goodies, bigger wheels, sport seats, steering wheel, the roof might be alcantara, paddle shifters, sport transmission.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3

The Sport package has M trim elements. The steering wheel, door frame trim and the wheels will have M emblems. This is not M-Sport package, but just the Sport package.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW CCA #422951

Last edited by al_macaroni; 09-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3

Fwiw, you could get a 2007 x3 diesel in the UK with the M trim. I think it was just a few badges and different wheels.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Thanks for all the answers, everyone.

I think that helps my decision.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahotep View Post
It looks like a few things are missing from under the trunk hatch, does anyone have a list of what I should have in there?
They remote key doesn't work right now, and I think it's because it hasn't been charged by being in the keyhole, but how would I know for sure?
Some dealerships are really bad for cannibalizing used cars on their lot.

Customer comes in and says, "such and such is missing on the X3 you just sold me."

Salesman: "No problem, my friend. Wait here and we will bring you one in two secs."

That remote key is probably from another car - salesmen are always getting keys in their desk drawers mixed up.
The batteries last a lot more than 7 years even if they are not used (recharged) every year or so.

List of things that should definitely be in the cargo area:
- cargo cover
- jack and lug wrench
- 1 wheel chock
- 1 tow fitting
- screwdriver, 2 wrenches
- key for wheel locks (if fitted)

Other things that a keen previous owner may have added:
- warning triangle
- additional BMW tools such as pliers

Don't buy a used X3 without the full complement of 3 keys (incl. 1 plastic valet key),
even if the price looks a steal.
Other good ones will come your way.

Low miles on a 2007 is not necessarily good. Find out the reason for the low miles.

Last edited by Supercourse; 09-17-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
So the toolkit is under a small flap in the floor on the left of the left fixing rail. Your should have a jack, wheel chocks and four lashing points to go on the trunk rails next to the battery. A large empty rectangle is where the ski bag goes. Us models didn't get a warning triangle or first aid kit.

There was a sport pack which gave you the same sport seats as the E46 along with bone crunching ride. There is also an optional sport bodykit which I find to be an acquired taste. All facelift cars except poverty spec should have painted bumpers, but the sport bumper has no black plastic center waistline. Another exterior option is metal topped side steps.

Winter pack brings heated seats to the rear and heated steering wheel.
Extended lighting pack bring rear footwell and wing mirror lamps.
Premium package I think brings BT, UGDO mirror and power fold EC wing mirrors.

Run the last 7 VIN digits through here http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

The remote key often needs relearning, it can be done with a button press sequence.

Last edited by joylove; 09-10-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I located a pdf file I have of the 2007 sales brochure. If you're still looking this may be helpful to figure out what you're looking at.

The only M logo mentioned in the booklet is on the steering wheel with the sport package.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007 BMW X3 brochure.pdf (1.98 MB, 31 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The first aid kit was not included in the US models but you can get the box it came in that fits under the pax seat with a slide in/out mount. Very easy to install, I got the box and find it useful for my GPS when I don't use it. The warning triangles are not included but you can also get those too, if you really want them. On my wife's A4 it came with both the first aid kit and the warning triangles (stored on the inside of the trunk lid so when it was up you could see the triangle from behind (nice packaging - useful even when they were not taken out and deployed). BMW tells you that they are "illegal" in the US for some reason -- yet Audi and M-B have no problem including theirs in the cars you buy here that were built in Europe.
Remember the '07 had transmission "issues" (see sticky at top) so you want to have the dealer run your VIN to see if all the updates and reflashes were done, and if problems continued to be reported (that will show on the computer). The service center may not give you a print out (probably won't) but will in almost all cases go through it with you and discuss what has been done and what will be needed in the future (they want your service business!). By all means if you really want the car -- get a PPI from a good BMW centered Indy or if not buying the car from a BMW dealer, from the dealer themselves. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-17-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The first aid kit was not included in the US models but you can get the box it came in that fits under the pax seat with a slide in/out mount. Very easy to install, I got the box and find it useful for my GPS when I don't use it.
One one of my old beemers I bought both LHD and RHD box as it's a handy little storage box. Did you need to remove the seat pad to fit it? I found the bolt holes where there but the bolts needed the foam removed to place them.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The first aid kit was not included in the US models but you can get the box it came in that fits under the pax seat with a slide in/out mount.
Thanks for the reminder! I've had it on my to-do list to buy this for about 2 years now. I think I'll actually do it.

Question for Uncle J: I thought you could fit one under the driver's seat too. Did you discover otherwise, or did you just choose to buy one?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
It would fit, but I just needed one. There was some good DIY pix on installing one some years back -- a search might find it. The holes in the seat pan bottom were pre drilled but you needed to run the self tapping metal slotted hex screws (included with the mount) in first, then back them out before putting the mount in -- it made it much easier. Not a hard thing to install but you need a flashlight or shop light and of course the screw driver or small wrench. Works just fine, no rattles, stays closed, and a nice little storage bin under the seat. Make sure you get the mount with the box -- I think they all come that way but be sure to check. Good luck Spoke!

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-17-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to BMRSEB
Mein Auto: 06 X3 MSport
Just to add if not already mentioned, there is a Sport package and an MSport Package.. I have an '06 with the MSport, which includes the standard Sport package plus, "M" door sills, "M" logo on the 3 spoke steering wheel, "M" logos on the 18" wheels, body colored bumpers (although, maybe the '07 models had body colored as well?). Just picked it up and loving it.. I did not really notice the difference in normal driving with the power deficit over the '07+ models..
Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Agreed on the power delta. It's more about the maintainable and DiY availability on the pre KP engine cos it ran for such a relitively short time.