Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i
05 X3 E83 Suspension Noise while Turning

She has 143000 miles. She recently started objecting to turning the steering wheel while stationary or at slow speeds - like turning into a parking spot. The noise sounds like someone thumping the floor board with a rubber mallet several times. There are no symptoms at road speeds and it hasn't been going long enough that I would expect to see unusual tire wear.

I found the quote below and would like some help locating the points to "torque-up" and what those torque values are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymos View Post
what a story: I went for a second opinion to a local guy who does only BMW, torqued up all cross member box and power steering rack bolts and done. wow $90 vs $2,200 that I heard two days before. Wished I visited that shop before I spent $400 for changing control arm bushings and ball joints, oh well
So, where are the "cross member box" and "power steering rack bolts"? I'm very familiar with the parts between the motor mounts and the hood, but the steering and suspension are new to me.
Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Are you on the original struts? They don't seem to last very long on the X3s. Most owners report problems starting around 100k mls.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Is this the kind of sound that failing struts make? I'm not the original owner but I don't imagine the first owner changed the struts - though he did keep the tool kit - or he lost them - or sold them on Ebay.

I don't mind changing struts at 143K, if they're going, but I don't want to just throw money at the noise and hope it goes away. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into it.

Edit: OK, I see lots of posts about clunking noises from the struts . . . that only deepens the mystery. Should I start with new struts and see what happens, or "torque up all cross member box and power steering rack bolts" first? Thanks again.

Last edited by CapeRanger; 09-04-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Thoughtful reply prompted extended research.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM

Noise identified and solved

My neighborhood indy mech quickly confirmed that the strut mounts were not the problem. He removed the forward debris shield and pinpointed the noise to the two forward bolts that hold the cross member box to the body were loose and shifting under the stress of turning the wheels to the extremes. He simply re-torqued the bolts and charged me - are you sitting down? - $25 for the repair.

Don't start changing bushings, tie rods and struts until you check those bolts.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i 6-speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeRanger View Post
My neighborhood indy mech quickly confirmed that the strut mounts were not the problem. He removed the forward debris shield and pinpointed the noise to the two forward bolts that hold the cross member box to the body were loose and shifting under the stress of turning the wheels to the extremes. He simply re-torqued the bolts and charged me - are you sitting down? - $25 for the repair.

Don't start changing bushings, tie rods and struts until you check those bolts.
You have any pics of those bolts?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
There is more info on the forum

Search for subframe bolts. There could be others loose as well. My subframe, corss member and tcase have loose bolts. If you feel it right at your left foot it is in fact the subframe. And, get it checked before one breaks like mine did, it is a pain to get to to remove it.