Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Live coverage of BMW at the 2013 Frankfurt International Motor Show

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW at the 2013 Frankfurt International Motor Show

The Frankfurt International Motor Show is BMW's home turf when it come to auto shows and they pulled out the big guns for the 2013 show. Bring the soon to be on sale all electric BMW i3, the all new F15 X5, the F15 X5 eDrive hybrid, the F15 X5 M50d M Performance Auto and a 4 series coupe with tons of M Performance parts on it. All of those sat in the shadow of the BMW i8, which had its world premier at Frankfurt. The i8 is BMW's sustainably produced super car designed to reset super car standards.

Nothing from BMW or any other auto maker comes close to packing the combination of technology, environmentally green production techniques, advanced materials and performance that the i8 has. BMW has literally taken a concept car, and brought it to life as something you'll be able to buy in US dealers spring of 2014. Every inch of the i8 has been meticulously engineered, designed and built to produce a fly weight super car worthy of not only the emotional connection to the BMW brand but a show case for just how much of an engineering and manufacturing powerhouse BMW is. Watch the video to get more info.

We have real life photos of the i8, that isn't a concept car, it is the production car. They'll be on the streets in Europe in early 2014 and will be cruising around affluent US neighborhoods in the spring of 2014. Starting at $135,700 BMW won't be churning out too many of these. Your best bet to see one in person will be at Bimmerfest 2014 or the select dealers that choose to stock a showroom model.

Read more about the BMW i8

Not to be missed the rest of BMW's display at Frankfurt was impressive. An elevated track around the booth was used to drive BMW's around inside the display! Additional BMW brought out the latest and greatest as well as currently in production cars to round out the display. Highlights of the new cars on display include:

The BMW i3: zero-emission mobility, customary BMW driving pleasure.
The BMW i3 is the world's first premium car conceived from the ground up to provide all-electric mobility. Its electric motor develops output of 125 kW/170 hp using power supplied by a lithium-ion battery pack mounted in a low, central position in the car's underbody. Like the extraordinarily light yet extremely rigid CFRP passenger cell, the electric drive system and battery were also developed and produced by the BMW Group. The BMW i3 weighs just 1,195 kilograms (DIN kerb weight) and offers a range of 130 160 kilometres (approx. 80 100 miles) in everyday driving. This can be increased to a maximum 300 kilometres (approx. 180 miles) if the two-cylinder range extender combustion engine is specified.

The BMW i3 is based on a new kind of vehicle architecture. The LifeDrive concept underpins the car's visionary form, which is defined by a standalone design language and generous levels of space for all four seats. A signature theme of the BMW i brand is the thread of sustainability running throughout the value chain. For example, the carbon fibres for the passenger cell are manufactured at Moses Lake in the USA using hydro power alone, while the energy required for production of BMW i cars at BMW Plant Leipzig is generated 100 per cent by purpose-built wind turbines.

BMW 4 Series Coupe: the perfect balance of aesthetic appeal and dynamic capability.
Perfectly balanced proportions, a low center of gravity and powerful engines enable the BMW 4 Series Coupe to raise the bar in its segment in terms of aesthetics and dynamics. The individual identity of the two-door model underlined by the "4" in its nameplate is reflected both in its design and in its top-quality equipment features. BMW 4 Series Coupe customers can choose from one six-cylinder and two four-cylinder engines at launch, and the Sport Line, Modern Line, Luxury Line and M Sport packages are also available as alternatives to standard specification.

More pictures of the BMW F32 4 Series coupe with M Performance Parts

The new BMW X5: the quintessential Sports Activity Vehicle is more luxurious and innovative than ever.
The BMW X5 was the world's first Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) and remains the most successful to this day. The launch of the third-generation model sets a new agenda in its class in terms of driving pleasure, variability and luxury. Among the stand-out characteristics of the new BMW X5 are its enhanced sports performance and reduced fuel consumption, an eye-catching and aerodynamically optimized design, a weight saving of up to 90 kg over a comparably equipped corresponding model from the previous series and a wealth of innovations from BMW ConnectedDrive.

See the first real life pictures of the BMW F15 X5 from our test drive

BMW Concept X5 eDrive: intelligent all-wheel drive meets innovative hybrid technology.
BMW is also using the IAA 2013 to present a new way of further reducing the fuel consumption and emissions of an SAV. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive combines the familiar brand of driving pleasure provided by the intelligent all-wheel-drive system xDrive and a luxurious ambience with a plug-in hybrid drive concept that delivers familiar BMW sporting attributes, the ability to hit speeds of up to 120 km/h (75 mph) on electric power alone and average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 61.9 mpg. The study car's drive system comprises a four-cylinder BMW TwinPower Turbo combustion engine and a 70 kW/95 hp electric motor, likewise developed by the BMW Group.

BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor: clever solutions for driving pleasure and leisure activities.
Compact exterior dimensions, impressive interior space and clever solutions aimed at enhancing sports and leisure-related functionality define the character of the BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor. BMW is using this vehicle concept to introduce the brand's hallmark driving pleasure into a new segment. A bicycle carrier fully integrated into the interior serves the cause of optimum space utilization. And also breaking new ground is the BMW Concept Active Tourer Outdoor's plug-in hybrid drive technology.

The new BMW 5 Series: fresh impetus on the road to global success.
The BMW 5 Series, the world's best-selling car at the premium end of the executive segment, continues along its successful path with modifications to various design details, additional drive system variants and a host of innovations from BMW ConnectedDrive. The new BMW 518d available in Sedan and Touring form now marks the entry point to BMW 5 Series ownership, and the BMW 520d xDrive has been added to the line-up of all-wheel-drive models. Elsewhere, the new rear-end design of the luxurious and versatile BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo injects extra elegance into the car's lines and expands its boot capacity by 2.1 cubic feet.

More pictures of BMW at the 2013 Frankfurt International Motor Show

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 09-13-2013 at 07:01 PM..
This article has been viewed 2642 times.
More about Live coverage of BMW at the 2013 Frankfurt International Motor Show

bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 1bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 2bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 3bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 4bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 5bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 6bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 7bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 8bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 9bmw-2013-frankfurt-auto-show 10