Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Loud Squealing Noise BMW X3 2005

My BMW X3 2005 2.5i automatic petrol has suddenly developed a really loud squeal when decelerating, not neccessarily when I brake though. About 20 minutes into my journey it starts so seems to be when the car reaches temperature. Its really loud, everyone turns to stare when its happening but when I decelerate down to about 20 mph it stops, then starts as I go back up to a higher speed. Also, this morning I did the whole journey (40 minutes in total) without any squealing as I only drove the car at 40 mph. Can anyone suggest what is the matter? Iīve been told it could be something in the gear box (and Iīve been quoted big money to fix) not sure though...
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
You could have a bearing going bad. Try to isolate the source or the squealing. May be the water pump, alternator, or idler pulleys. If you can have someone rev the car up while you look under the hood, you may find it. A mechanic's stethoscope would be helpful.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: e65
Re: Loud Squealing Noise BMW X3 2005

I have the same problem on my e65.i changed water pump belts and belts and its still making noise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornleyforrest View Post
I have the same problem on my e65.i changed water pump belts and belts and its still making noise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app
Generally, serpentine belts don't squeal like fan belts... they're a different animal.
You'll have to find out which component is causing the squeal. Be careful of moving parts.
If you want to get into it, remove the belt by relaxing the tensioner, then spin each component... water pump, idler & tensioner pulleys & alternator by hand. Any noise or looseness from these is probably your cause.
I don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, but I understand they're good at pinpointing noises. Pretty inexpensive, too.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 AM

I have had a mechanic look at the car but he doesnīt seem to be able to find where its coming from - perhaps he is a bad mechanic. He only thinks it could be near the gear box. I am going to another mechanic on Saturday for a second opinion. One thing though, the fan belt can be moved very easily without resistance and I had heard that this also might be a problem - do you know??
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 AM

That is definitely a problem. You said you have a new belt. Sounds to me like it's the wrong sized belt... You should not be able to move the belt easily by hand.
If the belt is correct, perhaps the tensioner for the pulley is bad... is there lots of tension on that particular pulley? The tensioner (either mechanical or hydraulic) should keep the proper amount of tension on the belt. If it's loose and the belt is the right size, I'd suspect the tensioner.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
pulley info

if you can't isolate the noise to say one pulley or pulley/tensioner combo it's very easy to pop the fan out and gain great access to all the pulleys.
Rotate them by hand and feel for roughness/cracked plastic pulley parts
A simple poboy get me home solution is to pop the plastic cover on the pulley (don't drop it into the void!)
Then .....use a pick tool or biggish darning needle from your mom and slip off the front bearing seal
It will be evident if the grease is spent and you can simply mash some all purpose lithium grease in to get you by till a new one is procured
Also .....while in the region check for broken tensioner springs which might be one cause of a slackish belt
Also ....take a nice Portuguese Rose wine break during the adventure
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 AM

I havenīt looked at the belt as such, just moved the actual fan around which moves very easily. Someone said it could be this but i suspect its the belt not the actual fan that could be the problem??? Iīm not much of a mechanic so this is very new to me and i really donīt have a clue. a nice rose break would be very welcome though....
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM

So your earlier post was incorrect.... it's not the fan belt that moves easily, it's the fan...
Don't worry about the fan. I doubt it's the cause of the noise. Your 2005 has an electric fan which will move easily as it's not connected to the serpentine belt at all.
Sounds like you need to have someone look at it for you & pinpoint the source.
Let us know the outcome. I'm betting it's either the tensioner or idler pulley going bad. That is an inexpensive fix.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Yes its the fan that moves easily. Will be off to the mechanic on Saturday so will take your comments along and lets hope thats what it is and that its inexpensive!
Just another point (not having much luck with the car at the moment) I also have the engine light warning indicator on, could this be due to either the tensioner or idler pulley going bad??? The mechanic has so far replaced the plugs and the air mass sensor but the light keeps coming back on. I think he thinks the 2 are somehow linked... Probably opening a right can of worms now.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM

RE the engine light: He will have to use a scanner to get the BMW "code" number to find out why your car is complaining. Hopefully, he will be using a scanner to diagnose the check engine light rather than just guessing. Once he reads the code, he can narrow down the problem & fix it. No, I don't think a bad pulley would result in a check engine light unless something like, say, the water pump bearing was going bad, causing noise, then resulting in an overheating situation...
If you're taking it to a BMW shop, they should have the proper scanner to hook into your OBDII port. If it's an independent shop, they may use an aftermarket scanner like a Peake scanner or perhaps a cable/program setup for diagnosis.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:40 AM

Thanks will take all this info with me when I go tomorrow. Its not a BMW garage but its used by a lot of ex-pats out here in Portugal so comes recommended. Letīs hope heīs better than my other mechanic!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38 AM

So what's the verdict?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 AM

The new mechanic could not fit me in so the car is now booked in this Saturday instead, will let you know! Unfortunately this is Portugal for you, everything takes twice as long here....Good job the weather is fab!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Well not such good news Iīm afraid. This other mechanic also thinks it is something to do with the gear box. He was a bit basic with his set-up but after some translation problems he also said the gear box. I have to bite the bullet now and actually take the car to the nearest BMW garage and see what they diagnose, was putting this off but it seems I have to go to them really. I have to hope its something not too major but it being an automatic does not bode well.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM

May not be much of an expense if it's the transfer case rather than the transmission...
Keep your hopes up that it's nothing major.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 AM

Everything is crossed, hope its not major. The weird thing is though that the engine warning light that has been on for some time has now switched off!! Bizarre.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 AM

Maybe your last mechanic reset the OBDII and switched the light off himself...
Did you ever change the transfer case fluid or transmission fluid? Perhaps the fluid is just low. I understand they underfill the transfer case fluid a bit when these are built.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 AM

The light went off for a whole day but came on again yesterday evening and hasnīt gone off again, very frustrating! I havenīt checked the fluid levels either, to be honest I donīt have a clue about these things to do them myself. Pathetic I know!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 AM

Don't beat yourself up about not checking the fluid levels... the BMW transmission doesn't incorporate a dipstick, believe it or not The only way to insure proper fluid level in either the transmission or the transfer case is to have the fluid changed. Transfer case change isn't bad, but the transmission change is a PITA.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 AM

Phew, thought I was being a complete novice! Will ask on Monday if they can check, along with all other problems I have. At least I should know for sure after Monday, lets hope its just a small thing though...Positive thoughts...
Old 09-17-2013, 04:04 AM

Ok, so I went to BMW and they could not identify the squealing noise! I think they didnīt take it out for long enough as it was squealing like a banshee this morning on my way to work!!! They wanted to keep the car longer but I couldnīt leave it because I live some way from the garage and would not have been able to get home. So I have to wait til they can get me a courtesy car and then it can go in longer - maybe 2 weeks though before they can do that. As for the engine light, the diagnostics brought nothing up but they think it might be to do with bad petrol and so advised to buy at other petrol stations and that might clear itself up. Not such a successful day really and now have to wait another couple of weeks with a squealing car!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM

So the noise is intermittent and it didn't do it while they had the car. Yeah, sometimes a car has to be left with the shop overnight before it acts up.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 AM

The thing is I can make it squeal everytime I drive it, just need to go over 60kph for about 20 minutes. They obviously didnīt do what I said they should and it only squeals when you take your foot off the accelerator. If you have your foot on the pedal then it doesnīt make the noise. They said they heard a quiet squeal but what really happens is a very loud squeal. Iīm a bit annoyed they didnīt even get it to make the noise, they could have done that first thing and at least find where its coming from. I have changed my petrol provider though to a more mainstream station so lets hope it is something as simple as the fuel causing the engine light to come on. Will keep you posted!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM

I find it odd that if the engine light was on, the mechanic couldn't read an associated code. Was this a BMW with the right diagnostic equipment?